What are you reading?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beej6

Puritan Board Sophomore
Leaving aside the Bible & its associated commentaries for daily Bible study/devotionals, what's on your current reading list?

I tend to be scattered, starting and stopping books seemingly randomly at times. But my current list is

J Gresham Machen, Christianity & Liberalism
David Chilton, The Days of Vengeance
The Missing Manual: iPod & iTunes (4th ed.)

I just finished Cornelis Venema's The Promise of the Future.

[Edited on 7-24-2006 by beej6]

Seems to be a common ailment, brother; we get so many books and start them all, but have trouble finishing any of them. Why? Because we've got new books! :D

I'm reading "Gill and Hypercalvinism" by Curt Daniel, bits of Baxter's "Christian Directory", and "Charity and Its Fruits" by Edwards.

I just finished Tolstoy's War and Peace. I try to alternate regularly between good classical works of literature and theological reading.

For the moment, I am reading:

Lewis Bevans Schenck, The Presbyterian Doctrine of Children in the Covenant
Sundry Ministers of London, The Divine Right of Church Government
Hughes Oliphant Old, Patristic Roots of Reformed Worship
C. S. Lewis, An Experiment in Criticism

Today was a good Lord's Day, I got a great deal more reading (per day) done than I have in a number of months.

On deck (which can change at any moment):

Dante The Divine Comedy
Huges Oliphant Old, The Shaping of the Reformed Baptismal Rite in the Sixteenth Century
James Bannerman, The Church of Christ
James Durham, Treatise Concering Scandal

ah, Philip, "on deck" I have a whole list as well.

And I forgot to mention that I'm also making my way through CPJ2.

Barely Started
Turn Neither to the Right Nor to the Left: A Thinking Christian´s Guide to Politics and Public Policy by D. Eric Schansberg.

Almost Finished
Black Gold Strangehold: The Myth of Scarcity and the Politics of Oil by Jerome R. Corsi, Ph.D. and Craig R. Smith

The Myth of a Christian Nation: How the Quest for Political Power Is Destroying the Church by Gregory A. Boyd

The German Way of War by Robert M. Citino

The Lost Soul of American Protestantism by D.G. Hart

Finished Not Long Ago
Impostor: How George W. Bush Bankrupted America and Betrayed the Reagan Legacy by Bruce Bartlett (see my InternetPundit.com review)

Whatever It Takes : Illegal Immigration, Border Security and the War on Terror by Rep. J.D. Hayworth

[Edited on 7-24-2006 by Puritanhead]

Originally posted by beej6
I tend to be scattered, starting and stopping books seemingly randomly at times.
:ditto:

You're not the only one. Sometimes, I review books over a year after finishing them. Sometimes, I read as many as 5-6 at same time. Every now and then, I get a book that is a good 200-250 pages, and just knock-it-out in a day.

American Gospel: God, the Founding Fathers, and the Making of a Nation (Hardcover)
by Jon Meacham

The Victory of Reason: How Christianity Led to Freedom, Capitalism, and Western Success (Hardcover)
by Rodney Stark

For the Glory of God: How Monotheism Led to Reformations, Science, Witch-Hunts, and the End of Slavery (Paperback)
by Rodney Stark "

1776 by David McCullough

My dad loans me his books too. He takes interest in sports and current affairs. He has an interesting book called Sacred Rage about radical Islam.

My brother used to get mad when he bought a book and then he realized that I already had it at the time, such as More Guns, Less Crime by John Lott.

I just read Vos Biblical Theology. About 70% of what he said makes sense. Was English a second langauge for him? I found this somewhat difficult reading. Reminds me of VanTil or Berkouwer.

Just finished: Dance with Deception by Chuck Colson
The Enemy Within by Kris Lundgaard

both were good.

Next up either The Work of Christ by Robert Letham
or Desiriing God by John Piper

[Edited on 7-24-2006 by LadyCalvinist]

Originally posted by New wine skin
I just read Vos Biblical Theology. About 70% of what he said makes sense. Was English a second langauge for him? I found this somewhat difficult reading. Reminds me of VanTil or Berkouwer.

Yes it was indeed a second language for him. He was born in the Netherlands. Maybe even third since his parents were born in Germany and he was fluent in that language as well.

See Geerhardus Vos: Life Between Two Worlds for an interesting article on Vos.

Just finished God of Promise by Horton.

Still working on City of God.

Also reading The World is Flat by Thomas Friedman.

Finished recently: Peter Jones The Gnostic Empire Strikes Back

Currently reading:
James Chaney William the Baptist
Gordon H. Clark What Do Presbyterians Believe?
J. Gresham Machen Christianity and Liberalism

On deck are Machen What Is Faith and Hart and Muether With Reverence and Awe, among others but this could change at any time. I will also soon start doing massive reading for a couple of professional exams that, d.v., I will be taking soon.

Currently Reading
Jonathan Edwards by Murray
Confessions by Augustine

And for good measure
Obsessed by Ted Dekker

Carnage and Culture by Victor Davis Hanson
Classical Apologetics by Sproul, Gerstner, & Lindsley
The Discipline of Grace by Jerry Bridges

Oh! I forgot I'm almost through with Sean Lucas' On Being Presbyterian. If I were to teach a new church members' class, this is the book I would use.

We're going out of town for a few days, so of course one ritual is to pick those books to read. Machen and CPJ2 are definitely coming with me... actually, between those two, that's probably enough :) I also have Paul Jones' Singing and Making Music on deck.

[Edited on 7-25-2006 by beej6]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back