What books have you bought for others?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stope

Puritan Board Sophomore
Moved by brother Ed's love for others, coupled with the work that the book has brought about in him, he has offered up 5 copies of "A Puritan Theology: Doctrine for Life". And then below that thread I saw another poster has mentioned how he/she also has bought books for folks in the past because they were of such worth. So, that makes me realize we recommend books, but its really something when you buy books for people. Therefore what books have you bought for people (criteria, you have had to bought at least 2 and given them)? Mine are:

C.S. Lewis - Mere Christianity (I bought this book and gave it to may people, in fact a few years back a girl I knew in high school told me that that book was what caused her to give her life to Christ. I also sent it to all my favorite punk bands in the 90s!)

Brother Andrew - God's Smuggler (I know I know, it might not be hard hitting Theology but as a youth I was very stirred with this one)

Last edited:
Ryle's Holiness, and Gouge's Domestical Duties, the former for single guys mainly and the latter for newly married couples.

I've given away several copies of:

A. W. Pink, The Attributes of God
A. W. Pink, The Sovereignty of God

Knowing God by Packer, Holiness by Ryle, and The letters of John Newton. I try to acquire these as often as possible for gifts.

I have in the past given a number of copies of William the Baptist, and though a simple treatment yet effective to most people receiving it. In fact an evangelical Presbyterian elder who held office for many years, strangely had not been baptised. On reading it, asked for the ordinance to be administered to him.

I have in the past given a number of copies of William the Baptist, and though a simple treatment yet effective to most people receiving it. In fact an evangelical Presbyterian elder who held office for many years, strangely had not been baptised. On reading it, asked for the ordinance to be administered to him.

Having grown up in a Baptist church, the only explanation I was ever given for sprinkling was "popish tradition." It was something that had absolutely no warrant from Scripture. Later on in in life, I picked up a copy of William the Baptist and read it. Mind blowing. I never knew that there was such a systematic argument from Scripture affirming sprinkling as the mode of baptism. It was a key book for me in my understanding of the subject. Nowadays, I am a vivacious baby sprinkling Presbyterian. Great book.

I have given away several copies of "Practical Religion" by J.C. Ryle. It is an excellent collection of his essays regarding various aspects of the Christian life.

I love to give away books and keep a stash of gift books in my closet in my study.

Holiness by J.C. Ryle
Just Do Something by Kevin DeYoung (to younger believers)
Precious Promises of the Gospel by Joseph Alleine
The Gospel's Power and Message by Paul Washer
Studies in the Sermon on the Mount by Lloyd-Jones
All of Grace by CH Spurgeon
Hidden Life of Prayer by David McIntyre
Pilgrim's Progess by John Bunyan
The Christian Life by Sinclair Ferguson
The Bruised Reed (Puritan Paperback) by Richard Sibbes
Come and Welcome to Jesus Christ (Puritan Paperback) by John Bunyan

I've given a paperback of Mere Christianity once. It was to a good friend in the A.A. program 30 some years ago. He was anti Christian, and that book was instrumental in opening his mind to Christ. He came to believe and about a year later died of melanoma. He was in his early 30s.
Studies In The Sermon On The Mount, by D.Martyn Lloyd Jones a few times (everyone should read it at least once) and Holiness by Ryle to a young man who is a member of my OPC congregation.
Come to think of it, Bible Characters, and The Walk,Conversation, and Character Of Our Lord Jesus Christ, both by Alexander Whyte, The Life Of David, by A.W. Pink (great read) I also donate books I'm finished with to our library at Fellowship OPC.
In my younger days I gave a few people copies of Siddhartha by Hermann Hesse, though I wouldn't dream of doing that now.

The book I have given the most often, drum roll please: The Joy of Cooking. It's the bedrock of a well-run kitchen. (Hey, you didn't say what type of book. :) )

I find there are individual books that fit a particular person or situation. One of my daughters wanted The Cost of Discipleship. I gave a Geneva Psalter to someone who I thought would appreciate it's place in Presbyterian history. I've given books to strangers when they've shown an interest.

Moved by brother Ed's love for others, coupled with the work that the book has brought about in him, he has offered up 5 copies of "A Puritan Theology: Doctrine for Life". And then below that thread I saw another poster has mentioned how he/she also has bought books for folks in the past because they were of such worth. So, that makes me realize we recommend books, but its really something when you buy books for people. Therefore what books have you bought for people (criteria, you have had to bought at least 2 and given them)? Mine are:

C.S. Lewis - Mere Christianity (I bought this book and gave it to may people, in fact a few years back a girl I knew in high school told me that that book was what caused her to give her life to Christ. I also sent it to all my favorite punk bands in the 90s!)

Brother Andrew - God's Smuggler (I know I know, it might not be hard hitting Theology but as a youth I was very stirred with this one)

These are all not Christian. Fairly eclectic. I've given away more than two copies of:

"We Who Dared to Say No to War" by Thomas Woods & Murray Polner
"The Vision of the Annointed" by Thomas Sowell
"The Effective Executive" by Peter Drucker
"Body by Science" by Doug McGuff
"Mere Christianity" by CS Lewis

I've given away copies of Thoughts for Young Men by J.C Ryle to friends and family. It is one of my favorite little books that always convicts me how I am utilizing my time.

I give away a lot of books. It's a joy. Our church, for example, has no funds to pay my intern (or elder candidates) a stipend, so I try to keep them well-stocked with good reformed titles.

Also, several PB'ers have graciously given me books, some of which I've read and kept, others of which I've read and passed along.

It's a blessing and a delight to give books (Ac 20:35).

Most recently I purchased "The Forgotten Trinity", and "The King James Only Controversy" by Dr. James White, for a friend of mine who is wrestling with a couple of these issues.

I refuse to pay the fee, but if I could, I'd really like to give away this book:
Out of curiosity I took a look on Amazon and a used copy starts at $60.00 +. On ebay one seller is asking $140, another just under $100. I have no interest in the topic personally, just posting this as a point of information.

I've given away:
3 Forms of Unity around 15-20 copies
5-10 copies Heidelberg Catechisms in Spanish
3-4 copies Heart of Reformed Theology by RC Sproul
Knowing God by J.I.Packer

Reformation Study Bible KJV to a popish priest.

This weekend I'm seeing a long time high school friend and I bought him: The institutes of the Christian Religion by John Calvin, Summary of the Christian Doctrine by Louis Berkhof, The Christ of the Covenants by O.P. Robertson,
I few others too but forgot.

* Calvinism, Hyper Calvinism and Arminianism - Talbot
* Knowing God - Packer
* WM Shorter Catechism (does that count as a book?) Piles of these paperbacks
* Can I Be Sure I'm Saved - R.C Sproul

I thought this excerpt from Ernie Reisinger's paper was relevant to our discussion of giving away books.

Use Books to Spread God's Truth in the Earth!

1. A book can preach when the author may not. In days past, men were locked up and were not allowed to preach, so many wrote.
  2. A book can preach when the author cannot, that is, when he is physically unable or geographic distance prohibits it.
  3. A book can preach when the author is not. Many authors, though dead, still speak today.
  4. A book never flinches from the truth.
  5. A book is never tempted to compromise.
  6. A book never gets tired or disheartened.
  7. A book never loses its temper in an argument.
  8. A book gets inside the home and stays there.
  9. A book always catches a man in the right mood, or he would not pick it up.
  10. A book always sticks to what it has to say, that is, it cannot lead into side issues, or irrelevant conversation.
-- Ernest Reisinger, Reforming a Local Church, p. 24

Bought a case (48) each of 'seeing and savoring Christ' and '50 reasons why Jesus came to die', both by John Piper - set them out in the foyer of church for any to take or pass along.

I have to say that if wtsbooks ever created a minimum purchase threshold after which I could enjoy free shipping to Canada I'd probably go broke. Love the sales they have, but 98% of the time the shipping to Canada negates all the savings.

Coupled with the exchange rate now vs 2 years ago it's enough to make me cry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back