What does it mean to partake of the Lord's Supper "Worthily"?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So the elders meet to grant someone the rightto partake, and that is good until/if they show due reason to not bale to partake?

So the elders meet to grant someone the rightto partake, and that is good until/if they show due reason to not bale to partake?

Yes. Once someone has become a member they have an automatic right to go to the Table in their own congregation, and other congregations within the denomination. Privileges would only be taken away if they were disciplined by their session for a particular offence.

Those who regularly seek open communion in the same congregation (e.g. on holiday) would probably only have to go to the session the once. But as far as I'm aware, they wouldn't have the automatic right to open communion in any other congregation. They would need to apply to the session of that particular congregation.

Thank you!

So the active members of your church will automatically have the right to partake of the communion, as only newcomers would go through the formal process of interviewing by Elders?

Thank you!

So the active members of your church will automatically have the right to partake of the communion, as only newcomers would go through the formal process of interviewing by Elders?

Not exactly. "Fencing" of the table is charged to the session (pastor and elders). Such fencing may take the form of the verbal (by way of warning) or physical (by way of physically withholding). If a "newcomer" goes to a congregation that issues the verbal warning only, the session has decided they have carried out their fencing duty via verbal warning. There are some denominations/sessions/congregations that see their duty to go beyond a verbal warning and withhold the sacrament until some vetting can be done. I would expect (and be glad) to submit to the session of a church I was visiting with to be examined for a credible profession of faith and life before partaking. One thing I am learning in the Reformed faith as one who came out of pop-evangelicalism, is submission. I am finding joy in submitting to those in authority over the care of my soul, knowing they love me, have my interest in mind, and have zeal to protect Christ's church.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back