When is too harsh too harsh?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Toasty

Puritan Board Sophomore
When telling others about Christ when is too harsh too harsh? I was just wondering because I have seen some street preachers screaming and using vulgar words to call people names. They justify their use of harsh language and yelling by saying that John the Baptist said, "You brood of vipers." If tell them that they are being too harsh, then they will say, "At least I'm not a coward."

If they really cared about the salvation of souls and the glorification of God in their salvation, I would think that they would seek to do so by more peaceable means--and pursue those means earnestly--that will allow people to consider what they say, rather than by default placing all unbelievers in the category of the hardened and unrepentant Pharisees (teachers of the law!) and themselves as prophets called to preach repentance to the Church.

There is a time to be honest with people, but such honesty can only be honest if it in fact is in accordance with the truth, and this usually requires one to get to know someone. No offence should be desired to be made except that which the gospel brings: the humbling of sinners and the exaltation of Christ crucified. These things and the glorification of God are offensive to the unbeliever enough without using offensive language to exacerbate the offense.

Toasty said:
If tell them that they are being too harsh, then they will say, "At least I'm not a coward."
True bravery is letting the force of truth defend itself instead of defending it with the heat of ugly passion.

John the Baptist's methods as recorded in scripture are descriptive - i.e. that is historically what he did as a uniquely commisioned prophet stradeling the OT and NT eras.

As for how believers are generally to share truth scripture tells us (prescriptive as the norm): "Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect..." (1 Peter 3:15) and, "Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone." (Collosians 4:6) and, "The Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful. Opponents must be gently instructed, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth..." (2 Timothy 2:24, 25)

Last edited:
John the Baptist's methods as recorded in scripture are descriptive - i.e. that is historically what he did as a uniquely commisioned prophet stradeling the OT and NT eras.

As for how believers are generally to share truth scripture tells us (prescriptive as the norm): "Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect..." (1 Peter 3:15) and, "Let your speech always be gracious, seasoned with salt, so that you may know how to answer everyone." (Collosians 4:6) and, "The Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but must be kind to everyone, able to teach, not resentful. Opponents must be gently instructed, in the hope that God will grant them repentance leading them to a knowledge of the truth..." (2 Timothy 2:24, 25)

That is good to remember. I'll keep that in mind.

2 Timothy 2:24:

And the servant of the Lord must not strive; but be gentle unto all men, apt to teach, patient,

Some street preachers are the most quarrelsome people I've ever met, and the least gentle.

If the Student is so rude, what will people think of the Master?

I would also argue that John's ministry was prior to the establishment of the church, which is now God's ordained means of gospel proclamation.

John the Baptizer was filled with the Holy Spirit and was the prophesied fulfillment of the messenger sent ahead of the Messenger of the Covenant. So, harsh street preachers, misread the context and err. Paul, Peter, James, Luke, and the rest of the Christian Apostles and writers set the example (placed first in the church) of Christian ministry and behavior.

Who, by the way, were rebuked by John, and for what reason? It certainly wasn't folks in the public arena going about their business. I have street preached myself (some 40 years ago) and while we were fearless, we were respectful and just announced the message and gave out tracts. Street preaching is valid in some contexts today but one needs to do God's work in God's way.

I appreciate your point of view but I do think about the reason for John's imprisonment and beheading - he had told Herod that he was not to have his brother's wife. So I assume he was preaching to civil magistrates as well? Not just Jews?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back