Which of these books is best to accompany Calvin's Institutes?

Which book below should I buy to study along with Calvin's Institutes?

• A Reader's Guide to Calvin's Institutes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please name)

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Andres

Puritan Board Doctor
For the year 2011 I plan on studying through Calvin's Institutes. I know I am a bit late and everyone went through it in 2009, but I am slow. I would like to get a guide to help me study through the book and help digest some of the meatier portions. I have come across the following three guides, but I don't know much about them. Please vote to help me decide which to buy and also leave a comment as to why you selected the one you did. Thank you friends.

Piety's Wisdom: A Summary of Calvins Institutes with Study Questions by: J. Mark Beach

A Theological Guide to Calvins Institutes: Essays and Analysis by: David Hall and Peter Lillback

A Readers Guide to Calvin's Institutes by: Anthony N.S. Lane

Can you still access the 2009 Ref21 archive for their blog-through-the-Institutes?

yes sir, it is still accessible and I do plan on using that also. I am planning on carrying out the study throughout the year, so I am trying to get the most out of it.

If you're looking for something that takes the Institutes in order, and suggests thoughts and questions as you go along in the material, then there is no doubt in my mind that Beach's book Piety's Wisdom is the best - the Theological Guide has a completely different approach and purpose, and compared with the Reader's Guide by Anthony Lane, I think you'll find Beach's book much more in-depth and sound. To me this Beach is a very clear first, if you're really looking for a chapter-by-chapter study guide. As a guide to the topics addressed in the Institutes, I think the Theological Guide is a better volume - and I'd strongly suggest you buy that AFTER going through the Institutes with Beach first. You'll then be best able to gain from the Theological Guide, as you'll have a good feel for the structure of the Institutes and use the Theological Guide to greatest effect.

Hi:

I voted for the Theological Guide by David Hall. However, if you do not have a set of Calvin's Commentaries, then I think you should make that your priority.

Blessings,

Rob

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back