Which reformation-era event anniversary would you be most interested in attending?

Which reformation-era event anniversary would you be most interested in attending?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

hammondjones

Puritan Board Junior
I left out birth/natural deaths of Reformers, and kept it to anniversaries that would be in the next 25 years so that the list would be manageable. So, please, add any below that you'd actually like to attend.

I guess it depends on the nature of the event, but as for myself, I'd rather not attend any. I'm already not comfortable with Reformation Day celebrations.

I don't mind remembering my forefathers, reading about and thanking God for his work in history, but I don't want to risk making too much of a man's life especially, and risk falling into patterns of saint worship and feast days.

If still here I'd attend a 400th anniversary conference on the publication of George Gillespie's English Popish Ceremonies (2037).

It is odd that nothing has been heard about a John Knox anniversary based on the revised year of birth, 1514.

Hmmm... such an intriguing question. This calls for careful consideration of all aspects of the anniversary celebration.

The effects of the Reformation took time to reach some corners of the world, but that's no reason to celebrate its arrival in those places in any lesser way than we would celebrate events in Europe. So I vote to attend a 200th anniversary celebration of early missionary efforts on the island of Fiji. Of course, the event will be held on the island itself, at a beach resort. I'm going there. The rest of you can enjoy the rain in Wittenberg.

As a postmillennial I am most interested in attending the celebration of 2036 as of the dates given above this would be most likely to fall into the millennial period. (Hoping that will be taken in the spirit in which it is meant!)

However, 2043 would be the 200th Anniversary of the Free Church disruption, in which my spiritual forefathers emerged from a system of patronage and set up the Church of Scotland, Free. The great men like Begg, Kennedy and Chalmers formed a fantastic generation, although the successors of the denomination were quickly influenced by the the higher criticism. The Free Church done what seldom happens, in re-establishing itself as a strong conservative church in 1900 when the majority of the church committed schism and left the denomination, giving up belief in the establishment principle.

Of course I hope that in 2043, there will be no Free Church - only "The Church of Scotland" - one church for the whole nation, united in worship, discipline, church government and doctrine. And I'd like to see the FPs, APC and RP churches involved in that. While these things may sound unlikely and you question my optimism - I point you to my opening words.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back