Who is This Guy? Can't Find a Reference...

Status
Not open for further replies.

C. Matthew McMahon

Christian Preacher
I'm working on some MSS by Hannibal Gammon, Westminster Divine, and he footnotes the following theologian/preacher:

Guil. Paris. de Legibus. fol. 31.
Paris. de Moribus, fol. 99. lit. P.
Paris. De Morib. s. fol. 99. lit. F.
Paris, de Manibus. fol. 123. lit. M.
Guil. Parisun. De virtutibus. fol. 57.

He has a great quote, "The true fear of God, (Paris says), can cause a spiritual earthquake in a man’s heart, able to overthrow all the Devil’s strongest holds, any bosom sin, even if it is very pleasing and profitable (Proverbs 8:13, 16:6; Psalm 119:6, 36: 117, 128:2; Psalm 86:11)."

"Paris," who is Paris? I've looked all over the place and the closest I found was a possible reference to Peter Lombard (residing in Paris). Edward Reynolds also quotes Guil. Paris., but doesn't tell me who it is. As does a couple of other books.

Any ideas?

Gosh, that was fast! I looked all over the place! Thanks brother!

I don't remember for sure where this one came from, but my grandfather collected puritan works (everything from facsimile copies to originals) which, when he died, I was able to glean quite a few great books from him.

As a side note (which is a crazy story in and of itself), my grandfather's collection of puritan works (thousands of books) was totally by God's providence. He was an Assembly of God Minister. So go figure - God was planning ahead for me. <wink>
I gained about 1500 books from him when he died, all shapes, sizes and formats, and have scanned in a few with an old scanner (but it broke). I ordered the Czur scanner that some of the guys on the board have bought, and am waiting for that to come (November?) so I can easily back the rest of them up. Otherwise, a fire would be problematic from that vantage point.

My grandfather had so many books that he donated a truck load of them (an 18 wheeler) to an AG school in FL before I ever had even an interest in Christ (probably 50 years ago or so). The only other book collector that I have found with a personal library that awesome, was Dr. Roger Nicole. I had the pleasure of checking out a his books at RTS originally. Lamb-skin covers, wooden covers, etc. and books published during the Reformation while the Reformers were still alive. How Dr. Nicole got those is another cool story in and of itself. (But I'm rambling...)

Those sound like wonderful collections. So this is an MS you are working on of a published work by this fellow, not an original 17th manuscript? Or your dad ended up with an actual 17th century manuscript? AWorldcat (when Google is a bust) can be your friend if you get close enough and William and three of those terms was close enough. I thought I recalled the name but right now I can't think that any work I've worked on actually references him; unless it was when I was collating the manuscript catalog of books held at the time of the Westminster Assembly; all sorts of odd abbreviations in those lists.
Lamb-skin covers, wooden covers, etc. and books published during the Reformation while the Reformers were still alive. How Dr. Nicole got those is another cool story in and of itself. (But I'm rambling...)

On Gammon, this is a series of 3 facsimiles of three works (this one is not an original), but a copy of the originals. My grandfather had a huge number of copies like this printed out and copied into spiral binders. With Dr. Nicole, as time gave, copying and looking at some of those works were just amazing blessings. Gammon was quoting William, and I wasn't putting in enough on Google to get it to give me anything good. I didn't know his first name was William, so that was the roadblock. But I loved this quote: "The true fear of God can cause a spiritual earthquake in a man’s heart, able to overthrow all the Devil’s strongest holds, any bosom sin, even if it is very pleasing and profitable (Proverbs 8:13, 16:6; Psalm 119:6, 36: 117, 128:2; Psalm 86:11)."

I like taking good short puritan quotes and "Tweeting them" but didn't know who to give credit to.

Bishop Davenant references William of Paris (also called William of Auvergne) several times. The solicitous editor provides a nice little note about him on p.21 of the BoT edition of Davenant's Exposition of Colossians. For more detail, the Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy is helpful:
http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/william-auvergne/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back