Would someone please explain OT indwelling of Holy Spirit

Status
Not open for further replies.

arielann81

Puritan Board Freshman
Ok so I have been reading around the forum and came across the term dispensationalism and although I've heard it mentioned did not know much about it. So I kept reading and it seems there is many issues that separate it from covenant theology. I did some more research and found this chart that shows the major differences.
Dispensationalism vs. Covenant Theology Chart

This was helpful and I fall on the covenant side on almost every point. It's when I came to point 22 on the covenant side that said: The Holy Spirit has indwelt believers in all ages, especially in the present N. T. era, and will not be withdrawn. that I had questions. How did that work in the OT? I'll admit I'm a newb but please explain or point me in the right direction. It seems there is a lot said on the different points and am worried I will be researching or reading forums forever... lol The only other issues I had were points 25 and 27 about uses of the law and all the amil, premill stuff which I still have to do research on.

Any help? :) Thanks in advance

Ps.51:11 "Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me."

The nature of regeneration (the spiritual revival of a dead soul) makes the work of Holy Spirit indispensible in all ages.

Ezk.37:1-5 "The hand of the LORD was upon me, and carried me out in the spirit of the LORD, and set me down in the midst of the valley which was full of bones, and caused me to pass by them round about: and, behold, there were very many in the open valley; and, lo, they were very dry. And he said unto me, Son of man, can these bones live? And I answered, O Lord GOD, thou knowest. Again he said unto me, Prophesy upon these bones, and say unto them, O ye dry bones, hear the word of the LORD. Thus saith the Lord GOD unto these bones; Behold, I will cause breath to enter into you, and ye shall live:"
Ezk.37:9-10 "Then said he unto me, Prophesy unto the wind, prophesy, son of man, and say to the wind, Thus saith the Lord GOD; Come from the four winds, O breath, and breathe upon these slain, that they may live. So I prophesied as he commanded me, and the breath came into them, and they lived, and stood up upon their feet, an exceeding great army."​

This passage uses imagery that goes back to the Garden, of the Spirit of God breathing into man, who becomes a living soul thereby; but in this passage, the topic is spiritual life. The Heb. term for spirit [ruach] is also used for wind and breath. That one word may be used as many as 10 times in this passage.

NT imagery is often dependent on beginnings in the OT. Jesus used the windy metaphor in the memorable Jn.3 passage. If you recall, he expected that a teacher of the stature of Nicodemus should have already understood the things he was teaching, v10. Paul may have this passage in mind in the NT, when he speaks of the need for the preacher to preach the saving Word of life, Rom.10:14, and in light of the hope he expresses in ch.11. Jesus also speaks of life from the dead on account of the divine Voice, "Verily, verily, I say unto you, The hour is coming, and now is, when the dead shall hear the voice of the Son of God: and they that hear shall live," Jn.5:25, cf.Eph.2:1,5.​

The great difference in the work of Holy Spirit in the former age and in the present, is sheer quantity and a commensurate exhibition of power. Now the Spirit is "poured out on all flesh," Jol.2:28; cf. Act.2:17ff. I've likened the difference in his "normal" operations from one age to the other to the contrast between dispensing by an eyedropper, and a bucket--or more appropriately, the largest tub you can think of.

Furthermore, the Spirit was also present with power in the OT, as he was given as a gift to judges (e.g. Jdg.13:25), or elders (Num.11:25); and other mediators of the old covenant like Joshua (Num.27:18) and other kings and priests and prophets. He empowered them to their spiritual work. But clearly a powerful working of the Spirit was withheld from the majority, and this in order that he should be the gift of the victorious Christ to his people in that appointed day. So, Moses' hope is realized, "But Moses said to him, "Are you jealous for my sake? Would that all the LORD's people were prophets, that the LORD would put his Spirit on them!" Num.11:29 .

Hope this is helpful.

Thank you, both of you. Very helpful. I wish I knew where to push the "like" button.. lol I see ratings on posts where people found it helpful but don't know where to add that it was helpful to me. Anyway, those verses ring true for me. I was told being saved by grace in the OT was the same except they looked forward to the promise instead of looking back to the promise. This idea helped as well and I guess I just didn't connect that to the Holy Spirit for some reason but that is who regenerates to begin with. I feel silly for not connecting the dots as it were.

So this answers the indwelling of the Holy Spirit questions in terms of salvation but when it comes to Pentacost I'm still a bit fuzzy. I think I will read the article recommended for a deeper understanding.

The more I learn, the less I know. As I mature I feel like each question answered generates more questions. If the HS regenerates onto salvation what is the baptism of the HS then? I start thinking of verses about "spirit and truth" (John 4) and implanted word being able to save (James 1:22). Does that mean that God uses the mechanism of the preached word to bring us to life and that relates to the being in truth part but there is still the spirit part that is more than just the word? Or are they connected and then the difference is actually part of sanctification? Is this process now different as well as it was then? Goodness my head hurts.

The "like" button will appear when you have a few more posts. I think the article I linked to will address some of the later questions you raised. But John 4, spirit and truth, relates to worship and doesn't directly address the question of regeneration.

Ps.51:11 "Cast me not away from thy presence; and take not thy holy spirit from me."

I've heard a Dispensationalist say that this shows in the Old Testament the Holy Spirit could be taken away, whereas in the New Testament He cannot.

Rather it shows that David had been so wicked that he was afraid that God might depart him forever.

Whether in the OT or the NT, the Holy Spirit can more or less withdraw His felt presence from those who are indwelt by Him but He will never leave nor forsake them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back