1 Cor. 11:16 no such contentiousness?

Status
Not open for further replies.

brendanchatt

Puritan Board Freshman
Is Paul saying in 1 Cor 11:16 they have no such custom of being contentious, referring to those who are contentious in favor of the practice? Or against? Or both?

I think what Paul is saying is: "Some folks will doubtless be contentious over this matter on which I've so sedulously offered apostolic authority and clarity. Here's the bottom line: we [have not taught this innovation, and the churches under supervision by my ministry and team] have no such [contrary] custom [as these contentious ones would like to introduce]; nor do [any of] the churches of God."

Are you saying Paul and the churches had no custom of allowing heads uncovered, which some seemed to be contentious about allowing?

In a word, yes; without trying to adjudicate in this post whether female head-covering is a timeless matter or not. It was the teaching for 1C Corinth, and the worldwide apostolic church of that day.

His final words to that portion of his letter (vv2-16) are a rebuke to those who would like to teach contrary to what he's just spent vv3-15 reminding them--wherein he commends the Corinthians for maintaining his teaching respecting the exhibition of created order in the formal gathering of the church, made up of former rebels (ala Gen.3) now brought back under divine rule through the finished work of Christ.

v17 parallels v2, in that he has other business to take up with them that he cannot commend them for; and thus follows a long passage dealing with cases of a breakdown in church order at Corinth.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back