1 Cor. 11 - prophesying

Status
Not open for further replies.

Romans922

Puritan Board Professor
1 Cor. 11:26 says "For as often as you eat this bread and drink this cup, you proclaim the Lord's death until He comes." Thus the partaker of the Supper is proclaiming the Lord's death.

Is this proclamation a (form of) 'prophesying' like that which is referenced in v.4-5 of the same chapter.

I think the different terminology would not have us think of these acts as more-or-less the same, although a true relation between them is plain to see.

Earlier in the ch., Paul is speaking of a particular form of divine communication, prophesying, which was a miracle sign of peculiar necessity in those years before the completion and distribution of a complete NT canon. Whereas today's preachers have ordinary access to the fullness of written revelation to Jesus Christ, in the NT days the church had the apostles themselves and their verbal witness to their Teacher, born of memory. But apostles were men, and could not be in more than one place; therefore prophets were still required who would be recipients from heaven of inspired "witness" in various forms.

In the nature of the case, some of the NT prophets could also be used of God as predictors of events or tellers of mysteries; however, even in the OT the main purpose for prophets was immediate guidance, and not far-sight; forth-telling before fore-telling. Prophets were functionally (if not formally) preachers, who certainly had to know the Word of previous revelation by which to compare and integrate their late messages. The key idea of prophecy is that it comes from God when true, and is imbued with specific authority that is attached to the speaker (hence, when a woman prophesied, she was to refer that authority elsewhere instead of allowing it to "rest" (as it were) with her).

The term used in v26 is more precisely a "preaching" term, katanggello. It is not the "herald's work," kerusso, but it is an energetic witness, and is used to describe the preacher's task, note esp. 1Cor.9:14, where the participle is used of the one who lives by this work of proclamation. The old KJV used the gloss, "shew" (show) in v26, to convey Paul's meaning of a definite, intentional presentation. I'd say that the emphasis of the word used is upon the act of the speaker, without claiming purely by the language employed any individual authority attaching to the one(s) speaking on account of the proclamation. Rom.1:8 describes the faith of the Romans as that which is "proclaimed" throughout the world. Surely, no authority attached to anyone who testified about the quality of the religion of the Christians in Rome, on account of the information supplied.

The service of the Lord's Supper, as it is practiced by the church, makes worthy partakers who eat and drink thereof open professors of this faith: which is built upon the one atoning sacrifice of the Lord. It is a particular point made to all humanity, rather than a particular gift exercised unto edification of the body.

:2cents:

Proclaiming is one thing, but how would it relate to
1 Cor 14:24 But if all prophesy, and an unbeliever or outsider enters, he is convicted by all, he is called to account by all, 25 the secrets of his heart are disclosed, and so, falling on his face, he will worship God and declare that God is really among you.

Teaching knowledge and prophesy are listed separately somehow
1 Cor 14 Now, brothers,[a] if I come to you speaking in tongues, how will I benefit you unless I bring you some revelation or knowledge or prophecy or teaching?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back