1 Cor 6:3-4 - Two questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbc561

Puritan Board Freshman
For 1 Cor 6:3:

How would Corinthians know they were to judge angels? Is there a scripture in the OT or NT written before 1 Cor that they could have known? or is it extra-biblical?

For 1 Cor 6:4:

NASB says: So if you have law courts dealing with matters of this life, do you appoint them as judges who are of no account in the church?

KJV says: If then ye have judgments of things pertaining to this life, set them to judge who are least esteemed in the church.

Is the NASB right?

The difference is in the Greek text used. The least esteemed in the church are a better choice than heathen magistrates.

The Greek texts are identical. The difference is in the mood of the verb and how to punctuate the sentence. The verb καθιζετε could be either indicative or imperative. The KJV takes it as an ironic imperative, not actually saying that the lowly esteemed should judge, but that it would be better than an outsider (as Joanna indicated). The NASB takes the verb as an indicative and punctuates it as a question. In either case, the main idea is that people outside the church shouldn't be judging inside the church.

For 1 Cor 6:3:

How would Corinthians know they were to judge angels? Is there a scripture in the OT or NT written before 1 Cor that they could have known? or is it extra-biblical?

My thought is that the judgment of Angels as it pertains to the kingdom age and through eternity was a doctrine Paul taught. Appearantly the church at Corinth had not heard the message from Paul or maybe he had taught it and they just didnt listen.

In all my study of Angels i have never seen any other scripture to support that judgment other than this one....

Interesting thread i want to see what some of these higher intellect dudes have to say...lol:duh:

Come to think of it, seems some facts about our existence in heaven are not clear and rightfully so when you consider the foulness of our sinful nature.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back