1 Corinthians 12 and the distinction between sign gifts and those for edification

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eoghan

Puritan Board Senior
Does anyone know of a clear text distinguishing these two. Tongues and miracles are sign gifts, not meant to build up the church per se. I think I have heard 12:7 as a distinction between manifestations of the spirit (sign gifts) and for the common good (edifying gifts). The distinction does however seem a little forced at least in the NIV/NASV

[BIBLE]1 Corinthians 12:7[/BIBLE]

Does anyone know of a clear text distinguishing these two. Tongues and miracles are sign gifts, not meant to build up the church per se. I think I have heard 12:7 as a distinction between manifestations of the spirit (sign gifts) and for the common good (edifying gifts). The distinction does however seem a little forced at least in the NIV/NASV

[BIBLE]1 Corinthians 12:7[/BIBLE]

The sign gifts of languages, the translation of languages, prophecy, miracles and healing, were for the "common good" as are the gifts that remain today. In particular the gifts of languages and the translation of languages were a sign for unbelievers, leading to their conversion and the good of the church. See I Corinthians 14:20-25.

The whole argument of the Apostle in I Corinthians 12-14 is that all gifts are there for the edifying of the body, and that revelations in unknown languages cannot edify the body without an inspired and infallible prophetic translation.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back