1 Corinthians 7:18 I had not interpreted this literally thus far...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eoghan

Puritan Board Senior
I had never thought of this verse literally but John Gill puts it into a historical perspective I had not encountered. Is he right?

1 Corinthians 7:18
Is any man called being circumcised?.... That is, if any man that is a Jew, who has been circumcised in his infancy, is called by the grace of God, as there were many in those days, and many of them in the church at Corinth:

let him not become uncircumcised; or "draw on" the foreskin; as some did in the times of Antiochus, for fear of him, and to curry favour with him, who, it is said, 1 Maccab. 1:15, "made themselves uncircumcised", and forsook the holy covenant; and so did Menelaus, and the sons of Tobias, as Josephus reports (b); and there were many, in the days of Ben Cozba, who became uncircumcised by force, משוכין, they had their foreskins drawn on by the Gentiles against their wills, and when he came to reign were circumcised again (c); for, according to the Jews, circumcision must be repeated, and not only four or five times (d), but a hundred times, if a man becomes so often uncircumcised (e) They make mention of several particular persons who voluntarily became uncircumcised, or, to use their phrase, and which exactly answers to the word used by the apostle, מושך בערלתו "that drew over his foreskin"; as Jehoiachin (f), Achan (g), yea even the first Adam (h); one guilty of this, they say, makes void the covenant (i); it was accounted a very great sin, so great that he that committed it was reckoned (k) among them that shall have no part in the world to come, but shall be cut off and perish; physicians say, this may be done by the use of an instrument they call spaster, which has its name from the word used in the text. The apostle's sense is, that such as had been circumcised, and had now embraced the faith of Christ, had no reason to be uneasy, or take any methods to remove this mark from their flesh, because it was abolished by Christ, and now of no significance; since as it did them no good, it did them no hurt:

is any called in uncircumcision? let him not become circumcised?; that is, if a Gentile who was never circumcised is called by grace, let him not submit to circumcision, which is now abrogated, and is altogether unnecessary and unprofitable in the business of salvation; yea, hurtful and pernicious if done on that account, since it makes men debtors to do the whole law, and Christ of none effect unto them.

(b) Antiqu. l. 12. c. 5. sect. 1. (c) Hieros. Yebamot, fol. 9. 1. & Sabbat, fol. 17. 1. T. Bab. Yebamot, fol. 72. 1. & Gloss. in ib. (d) Bereshit Rabba, sect. 46. fol. 41. 4. (e) T. Bab. Yebamot, fol. 72. 1. (f) Vajikra Rabba, sect. 19. fol. 161. 1. (g) T. Bab. Sanhedrin, fol. 44. 1. (h) Ib. fol. 38. 2. Zohar in Gen. fol. 27. 1. & 40. 4. (i) Hieros, Peah, fol. 16. 2. & Sanhedrin, fol. 27. 3. Bereshit Rabba, fol. 41. 4. (k) Maimon. Hilch. Teshuba, c. 3. sect. 6. & Milah, c. 3. sect. 8.

Two more of my commentaries have made comments on this (no pun intended) one made a connection between the Isthmian Games where the athletes would compete naked and the reversal procedure. It does seem that this was a real option albeit not one to be taken lightly.

From my own observations of public toilets at Ephesus there were no individual cubicles and it would (?) easily be a matter of public record if a man was circumcised. I assumed that the toilet at Ephesus was for the men, was there another toilet for the women or was there no separation of the sexes?

In WW2 Holland some Jews became uncircumcised in this manner in order to pass for Gentiles and save their necks. History repeats itself. I think a literal interpretation makes sense.

Very interesting, Eoghan. I too had never thought of the reverse operation in connection with this, although I heard it was possible.

Sent from my HTC Wildfire using Tapatalk 2

I looked up the reference in Josephus and it appears that under Antiochus, the sons of Tobias asked permission to establish a Gymnasium in Jerusalem after the manner of the Greeks, (i.e. naked) and hid the circumcision of their genitals. So the connection between the Gymnasium and the reversal of circumcision is stronger than I thought! (Book 1, 12:5:1, p387 in the Nelson edition)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back