1 John 1:8?

Status
Not open for further replies.

earl40

Puritan Board Professor
"8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us."

What is your opinion on what "the truth" is? Is it Jesus, or the proposition that one can be without sin?

Of course I meant 1 John 1:8, sorry.

"8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us."

What is your opinion on what "the truth" is? Is it Jesus, or the proposition that one can be without sin?

Of course I meant 1 John 1:8, sorry.

I find myself agreeing with John Gill and believe it refers to Jesus Christ, the scriptures, and the indwelling of the Holy Ghost.

and the truth is not in us - persons, for if there was a real work of God upon their souls, they would know and discern the plague of their own hearts, he impurity of their nature, and the imperfection of their obedience; nor is the word of truth in them, for if that had an entrance into them, and worked effectually in them, they would in the light of it discover much sin and iniquity in them; and indeed there is no principle of truth, no veracity in them; there is no sincerity nor ingenuity in them; they do not speak honestly and uprightly, but contrary to the dictates of their own conscience.

And we know from John 17:17 "Sanctify them by thy truth; thy word is truth." I think it's referring in part to scripture by usage of the word "truth", as such a position mentioned in the verse would be a denial of scripture. I also think it is referring to the indwelling of the Holy Ghost from John 16:13 "Howbeit when he, the Spirit of truth, is come , he will guide you into all truth: for he shall not speak of himself; but whatsoever he shall hear, that shall he speak: and he will shew you things to come ." and 1 John 5:6 "This is he that came by water and blood, even Jesus Christ; not by water only, but by water and blood. And it is the Spirit that beareth witness, because the Spirit is truth." And also to Christ as well, John 14:6 "Jesus saith unto him,I am the way , the truth, and the life: no man cometh unto the Father, but by me."

While I agree with Mr. Gill (both the author and the poster), I would add that the truth about our condition as sinners who have inherited sin from Adam and are in need of a Saviour vis a vis alien righteousness is also applicable here.

Wouldn't a person have to be an unbeliever by definition to say they have no sin ? Wouldn't any genuine believer be aware of their continuing to sin, although they would be, I assume, working through the Holy Spirit to avoid habitual sin. I agree with the post noting Mr. Gill's exposition and thank the poster for making it. I hadn't read that before and it is very instructive.

Below is the context of my question and the correspondence with my Pastor. He is going through 1 John and He occasionally uses the Eugene Peterson paraphrase which seems so different than the NAS, KJV, or even the NIV paraphrase.

Pastor &^%*&, do you think the NIV is making a claim that anyone who really believes they have no sin is a Christian? The reason I ask is because this paraphrase seems to be saying that one can be a Christian and believe this “nonsense”. Where the NIV appears to say if we believe this we are not really a Christian.

Paraphrase…..8 If we claim that we’re free of sin, we’re only fooling ourselves. A claim like that is errant nonsense.

Vs.

NIV….8 If we claim to be without sin, we deceive ourselves and the truth is not in us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back