1 Samuel 27:1 - the immediacy of the Hebrew?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eoghan

Puritan Board Senior
Trying to look more closely at the Hebrew of this verse I am struck by the immediacy of H6258 which is variously translated as "now therefore" or "henceforth". What I am looking at is how David speaks, "If I stay here Saul will kill me - it makes sense therefore to go into Philistine territory."

David is saying that if the current situation continues he will "perish" by the hand of Saul. This word too has other nuances the predominant translation is to be "consumed". I am looking for a nuance that David will be worn down by Saul. To perish is not the same as being killed?

I realise I am swimming against the tide here but I am not yet overwhelmed by contrary arguments.

If David did indeed seek out God's will before immediately proceeding to Gath the first time, might we not assume instruction to go there. Far from being directed constantly David had freedom of action unless countermanded by God. As was the case when he was instructed to return from Moab, preparatory to helping Keilah.

Freedom of action and avoiding the sin of presumption suggest that David is contemplating what might happen if he stays in Israel.

Contemplating the two choices: to stay or go, which places the greater demand on God for divine intervention? Answer this and I think we are better able to enter into David's mind-set. (In my humble opinion)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back