10 most common Scripture twistings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Denton Elliott

Puritan Board Freshman
I wanted to start a list of what people thought were the 10 most common exegetical mistakes. That is, the 10 most often mis-interpreted scripture quotes/usages. I will start the list with several I am thinking of...

1) Matthew 18:20

For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst.

2) Philippians 4:13

I can do all things through Christ which strengtheneth me.

3) Matthew 7:1

Judge not, that ye be not judged.

4) Revelation 3:15-17

I know thy works, that thou art neither cold nor hot: I would thou wert cold or hot. So then because thou art lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will spue thee out of my mouth.

5) Revelation 3:20

Behold, I stand at the door, and knock: if any man hear my voice, and open the door, I will come in to him, and will sup with him, and he with me.

6) 2 Opinions 2:1-2

You have a god-shaped whole in your heart. So just ask Jesus into your heart.

:oops: :p

7. Jeremiah 29:11

'For I know the plans that I have for you,' declares the LORD, 'plans for welfare and not for calamity to give you a future and a hope.' (NASB)

8. Malachi 3:10

"Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, so that there may be food in My house, and test Me now in this," says the LORD of hosts, "if I will not open for you the windows of heaven and pour out for you a blessing until it overflows. (NASB)

9. Romans 8:28

And we know that God causes all things to work together for good to those who love God, to those who are called according to His purpose. (NASB)

10. John 1:1

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God."

Theognome

"A man that hath friends must show himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother."
Proverbs 18:24

"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."
Proverbs 22:6

This thread isn't very useful unless the participants explain the poor interpretations of the verses and provide better alternatives.

This thread isn't very useful unless the participants explain the poor interpretations of the verses and provide better alternatives.

The one I posted is one of the main texts by which the JW's deny the deity of Christ and the Trinity.

Theognome

"A man that hath friends must show himself friendly: and there is a friend that sticketh closer than a brother."

In many circles it is pushed (as in dogmatically) that "the friend that sticketh closer than a brother" is Jesus.

"Train up a child in the way he should go: and when he is old, he will not depart from it."
Proverbs 22:6

People insist it means that if you train up a child rightly he will continue to do what is right. If you bring him up under sound teaching and a sound church ministry, he will be converted and faithful for the rest of his life.

Doesn't wash. Apparently in the original it means that if you train up a child in his own way that he will continue in that.

In many circles it is pushed (as in dogmatically) that "the friend that sticketh closer than a brother" is Jesus.

That's the case in my church (not reformed). :um:

My music minister quoted it with the singing of this song the other day:

I am a friend of God
I am a friend of God
I am a friend of God
He calls me friend

Which I do not think is an appropriate song to sing during worship.

"and He Himself is the propitiation for our sins; and not for ours only, but also for those of the whole world."

1 John 2:2

Some people think that the "whole world" means every single person who has ever lived on earth or will live on earth.

"Corresponding to that, baptism now saves you--not the removal of dirt from the flesh, but an appeal to God for a good conscience--through the resurrection of Jesus Christ."

1 Peter 3:21

Some people think that this verse is teaching baptismal regeneration.

Last edited:
Another verse sometimes used by Armenians or even universalists:

"...God our savior, who does will all men to be saved, and to come to the full knowledge of the truth." -I Timothy 2:3-4 (MYLT)

In John Gill's commentary on Proverbs 18:24, he says:

and there is a friend [that] sticketh closer than a brother;
who is to a man as his own soul, (Deuteronomy 13:6) ; and so are of one heart and soul, as Jonathan and David, and the first Christians, were; this is true of Christ, and may be expressive of the close union between him and his people; and of his close adherence to their cause and interest; and of his constancy and continuance as a friend at all times; and of his faithfulness and unchangeableness as such; see (Proverbs 17:17) . The Heathens had a deity which presided over friendship, which they called Jupiter Philios F3: the character best agrees with the true God, who is a friend to men himself, and loves friendship among them.

Just food for thought. I thought it referred to the friendship of Christ -- not in a "Jesus is my homeboy" type of way, but still friendship.

Isaiah 53: 5 But he was wounded for our transgressions; he was crushed for our iniquities; upon him was the chastisement that brought us peace, and with his stripes we are healed.

This one was used on me today. My cluster headaches are a matter of
1. Not enough faith on my part
2. Not enough faith on the one praying
3. God lying in scripture

Naturally 2 & 3 can't be correct so it is my fault. The young man was not able to prove conclusively it was my faith so then it is "some sin" which I refuse to be released from. Once I do this I will be free from my condition. If only Paul and all those millions of believers who suffer from an ailment would just learn this secret.... :rolleyes:

One of the most abused verses is "let the children come unto me" and somehow supporting infant baptism from that.

1 John 4:8 - "...............God is love" (truncated)

God is cool, and would never send anyone to hell.

One of the most abused verses is "let the children come unto me" and somehow supporting infant baptism from that.

Even though I am a paedobaptist I agree with you that this verse is taken terribly out of context. One reason I hate to see people use it is because it makes us look desperate for scriptural evidence.

It's usually used to say that they are considered part of the covenant community, the minor premise of a paedobaptist syllogism (Major: All covenant members are baptized; Minor: children of believers are covenant members; etc.).

I realize you would still disagree with that, but it's far from a twisting to use that for paedobaptism.

It's usually used to say that they are considered part of the covenant community, the minor premise of a paedobaptist syllogism (Major: All covenant members are baptized; Minor: children of believers are covenant members; etc.).

I realize you would still disagree with that, but it's far from a twisting to use that for paedobaptism.

It's still twisting it. Come on, admit it...just a little bit.

I've seen Romans 4:17 be abused on numerous occasions. Some use it for the purpose of teaching that man can speak things into existence. (Name it, claim it). Kinda like the "law of attraction" for Churchians.

It's still twisting it. Come on, admit it...just a little bit.

I don't know if your "come on, admit it...just a little bit" was intended to make me laugh or not, but it did. :lol:

-----Added 6/22/2009 at 10:59:56 EST-----

Oh, and how can I forget? "You are not under law, but under grace," Rom. 6:14.

John 10:10b (a la Joel Osteen):

I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly.

The life promised is not abundant riches, health or the like. The life promised here is the life of the shepherd who lays down His life for His sheep (vs. 11) so that they may have eternal life (vs. 28).

I've heard Luke 11:46 used to berate lawyers:

And he said, Woe unto you also, ye lawyers! for ye lade men with burdens grievous to be borne, and ye yourselves touch not the burdens with one of your fingers.

Talk about out of context. I've known lawyers to touch a burden with a finger,. . . maybe once. . . while wearing heavy gloves. . . .

Uh, let me look for another one. :p

I've heard Luke 11:46 used to berate lawyers:

And he said, Woe unto you also, ye lawyers! for ye lade men with burdens grievous to be borne, and ye yourselves touch not the burdens with one of your fingers.

Talk about out of context. I've known lawyers to touch a burden with a finger,. . . maybe once. . . while wearing heavy gloves. . . .

Uh, let me look for another one. :p

:lol: How very, very sad :( that you know someone who would believe that. :lol: Of course, I know some folks who believe even stranger things.

I Corinthians 3:1-3 to teach there are 2 classes of Christians the Carnal and the Spiritual Christian who both co-exist and will inherit the Kingdom of God.

As much as I respect the Confessor (brilliant young man isn't he?) Jesus said, "Let the children come unto me" because his disciples were rebuking those bringing the children to him and sending the children away.

John 18:36:

"My kingdom is not of this world."

Herman Bavinck counters the oft-encountered dualistic twist of Jesus' words:

Christ has indeed stated that his kingdom is not of this world, but he is not a spiritual king in the sense that he has absolutely no interest in external and earthly things. On the contrary, he assumed a fully human nature and came into the world not to condemn the world but to save it. Christ planted his kingdom in that world and made sure that it could exist in it, and, like leaven, have a transforming impact in all areas of life.”

Mt 3:16 as a proof that Jesus was dunked.

16And Jesus, when he was baptized, went up straightway out of the water: and, lo, the heavens were opened unto him, and he saw the Spirit of God descending like a dove, and lighting upon him:

As much as I respect the Confessor (brilliant young man isn't he?) Jesus said, "Let the children come unto me" because his disciples were rebuking those bringing the children to him and sending the children away.

I would say this still provides evidence for children's being in the covenant community, but we can just leave it at this. :) Thank you for the compliment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back