-

Status
Not open for further replies.
I hook mine up to an FM transmitter in my car. Much, much better value than any CD changer on the market. A $200 investment for over 1000 songs!:up:

I have a 30GB Dell DJ that I wear out on a daily basis.

ESV MP3
Valley of Vision
Matt's Westminster Standards
Ton of courses/lectures/sermons
Psalms
Hymns
UnSpiritual Songs (Led Zepplin, Pearl Jam, Jimi Hendrix, etc.)

The Bowman Household iPod inventory:

Brian: 1 30Gig Photo loaded with tons of Classical Music and Classic Soul/R&B, ESV .mp3, Sinclair Ferguson, Matt McMahon Pslams (thanks Andrew), Bahsen, Gentry, etc.

Anne: 1 6 Gig Mini loaded with Classical, ESV, and music used for Anne's bodywork therapy practice.

These iPods are a daily part of our lives

[Edited on 1-13-2006 by BrianBowman]

Shuffle for <$100. I have Genesis 1-4 in Hebrew on it, Gospels of John and Mark on it in Spanish, about 9 hours of sermons from Sermon Audio, and a bit of Bach. I only listen while driving.

Vic

Absolutely worth the money. Don't waste your money by spending less on something else. The iPod is the mp3 player market, nothing else comes remotely close in market share or influence. The music/video store is outstanding.

Originally posted by WrittenFromUtopia
Absolutely worth the money. Don't waste your money by spending less on something else. The iPod is the mp3 player market, nothing else comes remotely close in market share or influence. The music/video store is outstanding.

TRUE!

As well as accessories. I had a Crative Zen, and while it was very, very nice it had little to no accessories while the ipod had dozens.

There is no other serious .mp3 player that I would consider. It is a documented fact that Bill Gates is unhappy that something like 60% (no doubt more by now) of Microsoft Employees wear iPods at their Redmond, WA Campus - instead of, politically speaking, some more Microsoft "compliant" device.

I considered the Dell player - (for all of about 90 seconds) and then waited several months until a Patent bonus came through to purchase the two iPods that we have. I keep my 4th gen 30gig Photo in a Marware(tm) case. It has been dropped a couple of times and it took the same fall to the tile floor that my head took in early December. I GOT that concussion, the iPod did not!!

[Edited on 1-13-2006 by BrianBowman]

I have the Rio Carbon, and I highly recommend it over the iPod if you aren't going to use iTunes. I have no use for iTunes since I only listen to albums, not individual songs. The Rio was $50 cheaper than the iPod Mini and has a much longer battery life.

Also to offer an apologia for my Dell...lol...

I was able to get a 30GB dell cheaper than a 20 GB Ipod. It's navigation is user friendly. It goes everywhere with me and I have easily over 20 GB worth of stuff on there...

My wife has a 4 GB nano. The thing I like better about the Dell is that once I rip a file as a .wma it automatically syncs via Windows Media Player with no problem. When I go to the Nano via Itunes it has to take time to convert every song over. It takes forever. Now granted, it's probably something I'm doing wrong so I'm open to correction. I just don't like being made to feel like a loser for my technology choice.:lol: - GABE!

Chris and Scot..have you tried to find any accessories for your MP3 players? If so how much success have you had? That is the sole reason I returned my Zen for an ipod.

Originally posted by houseparent
Chris and Scot..have you tried to find any accessories for your MP3 players? If so how much success have you had? That is the sole reason I returned my Zen for an ipod.

What type of accesories did you have in mind? I have a leather case that came with it, an fm transmitter, a headphone jack > rca splitter.

Well, the ipod has many different FM transmitters, the one I got is built to house and charge the ipod while in your cigerette lighter. It has a sturdy but flexible neck that you can move around. I can turn my ipod sideways if I want to and it will float there on the neck of the transmitter.

The BOSE speakers are wonderful and you can get them with a built in cradle for the ipod as well.

Many different kinds of cases from hard to soft, belt carrying cases, neck carrying cases, and cases that allow you to customize the look of your ipod.

There are mini speakers you can plug into your ipod. It looks like a small tube that plugs into the headphone jack but the tube has tiny speakers on the end. Very cool if you don't want to plug in large expensive speakers.

I can spend a decent ammount of time in a store just looking at all the accessories for the ipod wondering which I may have a use for. It annoyed me that these companies seemed to only support the ipod.

iRiver HP-120. Handles all my needs for digital audio. Supports RockBox open source firmware. With it you can customize the user interface. I use it in my car with direct input to an Aiwa CDC-X504MP, and also on my Gold Wing.

I also have a 512 MB SanDisk Sense m230 for lite weight audio.

iPods seem overpriced, in my opinion.

Originally posted by houseparent
Well, the ipod has many different FM transmitters, the one I got is built to house and charge the ipod while in your cigerette lighter. It has a sturdy but flexible neck that you can move around. I can turn my ipod sideways if I want to and it will float there on the neck of the transmitter.

The BOSE speakers are wonderful and you can get them with a built in cradle for the ipod as well.

Many different kinds of cases from hard to soft, belt carrying cases, neck carrying cases, and cases that allow you to customize the look of your ipod.

There are mini speakers you can plug into your ipod. It looks like a small tube that plugs into the headphone jack but the tube has tiny speakers on the end. Very cool if you don't want to plug in large expensive speakers.

I can spend a decent ammount of time in a store just looking at all the accessories for the ipod wondering which I may have a use for. It annoyed me that these companies seemed to only support the ipod.

Jacks are jacks. External speakers and everything else. I could care less how my DJ looks as long as it works. For every extra add-on that I would buy for it, I think of lost books or courses I could be listening to. But of course I am a PC guy and not a cool Mac user! I have no sense of style either. :lol:

Originally posted by BrianBowman
Originally posted by crhoades
Originally posted by tcalbrecht
iPods seem overpriced, in my opinion.
:ditto:

You guys are OBVIOUSLY *not* Mac bigots like me!

:banana::banghead::banana:

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:

No, but there is a large contingent of Mac bigots at our church. I thought we were going to go through a church split when the church office needed to buy a new computer. There was the Mac faction and the unenlightened PC crowd. We got a PC...sorry. LOL...

I know, I know...you'll pray for me and my heretical ways.

I'm doing the E-bay thang right now trying to get one of these mp3 players.

I want to get an iPod, but I definitely want something that RECORDS as well, and one of the best choices seem to be one called iRiver H320. It seems that many of iPod's competitors have a recording function.

At this point, I'm still stuck between the two choices and may need to bid on both and have divine providence make the choice for me. (I really want to be able to record, though...)

Originally posted by alwaysreforming
I'm doing the E-bay thang right now trying to get one of these mp3 players.

I want to get an iPod, but I definitely want something that RECORDS as well, and one of the best choices seem to be one called iRiver H320. It seems that many of iPod's competitors have a recording function.

At this point, I'm still stuck between the two choices and may need to bid on both and have divine providence make the choice for me. (I really want to be able to record, though...)

Depending on how much space you need, I use my SanDisk Sensa for recording. 512 MB can go a long way. (There is a 1 GB model.) It also has a built in FM radio, supports USB 2.0, and can work as a thumb drive for transferring files.

I got mine for about $40 on eBay.

[Edited on 1-14-2006 by tcalbrecht]

My Rio came with a case and a belt clip. You are right that there aren't nearly the number of accessories available, but I haven't found anything lacking. It does exactly what I want it to do.

Originally posted by BrianBowman
Originally posted by tcalbrecht

Linux on a Dell laptop. Best of both worlds, and a whole lot more. :lol:

... really?, like what?

Well, for one thing it does just about anything you would want to do with a Windows PC or Mac, and I haven't spent a dime on software. Everything I have on it is open source.

Fixes to problems found in software are available in days, not weeks or months. It runs on any hardware I care to buy, so I'm not beholden to Steve Jobs. Apple hardware tends to be overpriced for the comparable performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back