-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by tcalbrecht
Originally posted by BrianBowman

Linux on a Dell laptop. Best of both worlds, and a whole lot more. :lol:

... really?, like what?

Well, for one thing it does just about anything you would want to do with a Windows PC or Mac, and I haven't spent a dime on software. Everything I have on it is open source.

Fixes to problems found in software are available in days, not weeks or months. It runs on any hardware I care to buy, so I'm not beholden to Steve Jobs. Apple hardware tends to be overpriced for the comparable performance.

... have you checked out the latest announcements from Apple? Peformance per $$ on the new Intel Core Duo systems is not much of an issue. For what it's worth, I've been a professional Software Developer doing heavy, "geek-friendly" OS-level stuff for 22.5 years now. The Open Source "revolution" is cool. Linux is cool, etc., but there is just too much software that I want which does not run in the Linux world, be the developers of this software cannot produce it for free (sometimes you get what you pay for :)).

[Edited on 1-14-2006 by BrianBowman]

Originally posted by joshua
I guess my thinking goes like this: I can store up to 7500 songs on it. Also, I can store documents, pics, videos, etc. So, with that in mind, it's as if I'd have my documents, videos, music, sermons, pics on my person at all times (excepting the shower, etc.). I'll never have THAT many songs...so I'll have room for other things...

Using any kind of Ipod or MP3 device for document storage is a very expensive and non-versitile solution, in my opinion. You can get small (Cruzer mini, etc) memory sticks/drives for almost nothing now. In fact, if you don't need it in your pocket (i.e. a bag will work), you can carry around an entire USB drive (maybe 4"x6") that is 160GB for like $50 for both the drive and case.

Hey, the shower doesn't have to be off limits!
I have a set of speakers right outside my shower and I just plug my PDA into it and listen to sermons, RC Sproul teachings, etc.

Talk about "redeeming the time"! :D

I have an IPOD question:

Sometimes it will update new downloads from my computer onto the iPod. Other times it won't. What gives?

Jacob,

If you are referring to "iPod Updater" downloads, these are periodic firmware upgrades to the iPod itself. You want to go ahead and install these. However, if you are speaking about how iTunes sychronizes its Library with your iPod, that as matter of how your iTunes preferences are set AND (which is probably your "case") whether or not your have any new context in your Library that does not already exist on the iPod. You must be careful here, because otherwise you can removed content from the iPod that you have deleted from your iTunes library. For this reason, I maintain the content on our iPods manually (by checking the appropriate box under iTunes Preferences).

Originally posted by fredtgreco
I guess my thinking goes like this: I can store up to 7500 songs on it. Also, I can store documents, pics, videos, etc. So, with that in mind, it's as if I'd have my documents, videos, music, sermons, pics on my person at all times (excepting the shower, etc.). I'll never have THAT many songs...so I'll have room for other things...

Using any kind of Ipod or MP3 device for document storage is a very expensive and non-versitile solution, in my opinion. You can get small (Cruzer mini, etc) memory sticks/drives for almost nothing now. In fact, if you don't need it in your pocket (i.e. a bag will work), you can carry around an entire USB drive (maybe 4"x6") that is 160GB for like $50 for both the drive and case.

... and tell us about the user interface on this USB drive :lol:

Only slightly less available than trying to view a document on an IPod! :)

... have you checked out the latest announcements from Apple? Peformance per $$ on the new Intel Core Duo systems is not much of an issue. For what it's worth, I've been a professional Software Developer doing heavy, "geek-friendly" OS-level stuff for 22.5 years now. The Open Source "revolution" is cool. Linux is cool, etc., but there is just too much software that I want which does not run in the Linux world, be the developers of this software cannot produce it for free (sometimes you get what you pay for :)).

Such as? For the Joe Average, I have yet to find an application that does not have an open source equivalent (unless it's based on some quirky proprietary implementation).

For the record, I've been doing software/systems engineering in Windows and Unix/Linux for over 30 years. Only at one job, for a publishing house, did the users insist on Macs to run their publishing apps. And that was only because they knew the Mac tools, not because there weren't equivalent tools for either Windows or Unix. I haven't been in a position to "require" a Mac for over 10 years.

Can I get a version of Mac OS X to run on my $400 PC from Dell?

BTW, I'm not saying there isn't a place for commercial software (maybe a tax program), but in general for Joe Average the need is very rare.

Do iPods support normal the drag-and-drop interface from Windows Explorer? In other words, can you plug your iPods into a friends PC using USB and move files (including music files) back and forth using just Windows Explorer without any helper apps or plug-ins?

"Do iPods support normal the drag-and-drop interface from Windows Explorer?"

I'm pretty sure you can; the Rio Carbon allows this.

Jacob,

If you are referring to "iPod Updater" downloads, these are periodic firmware upgrades to the iPod itself. You want to go ahead and install these. However, if you are speaking about how iTunes sychronizes its Library with your iPod, that as matter of how your iTunes preferences are set AND (which is probably your "case") whether or not your have any new context in your Library that does not already exist on the iPod. You must be careful here, because otherwise you can removed content from the iPod that you have deleted from your iTunes library. For this reason, I maintain the content on our iPods manually (by checking the appropriate box under iTunes Preferences).

I'm just an ignorant country boy. You gonna have to come down a few levels and put that in a language I can understand.

Why not just use a pocket pc for all this?? A pocket pc will do everything an ipod device can and way way more. Then you have games, ebooks, email, contacts, calendar, etc along side the music, pics, and movies.

Originally posted by Augusta
Why not just use a pocket pc for all this?? A pocket pc will do everything an ipod device can and way way more. Then you have games, ebooks, email, contacts, calendar, etc along side the music, pics, and movies.

I was not under the impression that a pocket pc would do thus. But then again, see my post above yours?

Originally posted by Draught Horse
Jacob,

I'm just an ignorant country boy. You gonna have to come down a few levels and put that in a language I can understand.

Jacob, I don't buy that you are ignorant, but I'm regularly accused of making my explanations too technical (what do I look like a help desk?
lol.gif
. Are you using a Windows PC or a Mac? It really does not matter because in either case you are probably using iTunes software on your computer. iTunes is the software audio player by Apple that is used to maintain audio content on your iPod. iTunes has a 'Preferences' dialog where you tell it how to synch the library of audio it maintains (.mp3's, etc.) with your iPod. Here is a screenshot of my Preferences dialog:

Picture%209.png

Notice how you can click the buttons to select 'Automatically ... ' or 'Manually ... ' update. That's what I'm referring in the previous post. You probably have 'Automatically update all songs and playlists' - that why you don't see anything happen every time you connect your iPod. If nothing has changed in iTunes (e.g. you have not "ripped" any CD's or otherwise downloaded content) then there is nothing to update on the iPod ....

EXCEPT in the occassional occurance when Apple releases a firmware upgrade for the iPod itself (firmware is a fancy engineering term for the little ole Operating System that makes the iPod 'Go'). If your computer is a Mac you'll see this periodically as a "software update", if it's a PC I don't know how it happens because I don't use iTunes on a PC. (In fact the only thing I use PCs for is testing/debugging the software I write for living AND then only via a Remote Desktop Connection from my Mac).

Doe this help?

oops, I thnk I just deleted everything. Its okay....I still have them on my compter. I went to "update manually,' clicked on said list, and it disappeared.

One reason, Augusta, is that to get 40GB of memory in a pocket PC would require well over $1000 of memory cards (maybe $2000). At least that's the reason I'm wanting to get an iPod even though I already have a Dell Axim. (I love it, BTW)

Plus, the pocket pc is usually bigger and heavier in relation to the iPod and it can be a little too heavy when using for strenuous exercise.

I have a 1GB card in my ppc, but I get tired of always having to delete the stuff and make room for new stuff and going through the tedious activesync process all the time. With 40gigs, I may only need to do this once or twice I imagine. Just like that rotisserie grill infomercial, "Just set it and forget it!"

Originally posted by alwaysreforming

One reason, Augusta, is that to get 40GB of memory in a pocket PC would require well over $1000 of memory cards (maybe $2000). At least that's the reason I'm wanting to get an iPod even though I already have a Dell Axim. (I love it, BTW)

Plus, the pocket pc is usually bigger and heavier in relation to the iPod and it can be a little too heavy when using for strenuous exercise.

I have a 1GB card in my ppc, but I get tired of always having to delete the stuff and make room for new stuff and going through the tedious activesync process all the time. With 40gigs, I may only need to do this once or twice I imagine. Just like that rotisserie grill infomercial, "Just set it and forget it!"

Now here is a man who understands the ethic for purchasing an iPod!

Anone got the ipod from ligonier with sproul's teachings I'd think if it has as they say $250 worth of stuff then its really worth it

Originally posted by houseparent
Who said no, and why?

Just curious....

I said "no" because I don't have the time for any more technology or gadgets in my life. Working on the computer all day and the occasional surfing of the net is more than enough for me. ;)

Such as? For the Joe Average, I have yet to find an application that does not have an open source equivalent (unless it's based on some quirky proprietary implementation).

For the record, I've been doing software/systems engineering in Windows and Unix/Linux for over 30 years. Only at one job, for a publishing house, did the users insist on Macs to run their publishing apps. And that was only because they knew the Mac tools, not because there weren't equivalent tools for either Windows or Unix. I haven't been in a position to "require" a Mac for over 10 years.

BTW, I'm not saying there isn't a place for commercial software (maybe a tax program), but in general for Joe Average the need is very rare.

Dude, I'm not dissing Linux and certainly I respect your abilities and backgound. One of the biggest reasons I use a "late model" Mac is that I have an eye/brain condition that "as far as I can subjectively tell" is not "stressed" as much when I work on a Mac. The reason being the superior graphics compositing, font rendering, etc. in OS X's low-level display software. Apple has commented that they are 2-3 years ahead of anyone else in this technology and they plan to stay ahead. This is very important to me, because I wish to remain "visually productive" for as long as possible.

For what it's worth, I've tried PC's with very expensive Graphics cards and digitial monitors - only to have so much eye strain that I can only spend 7-8 hours per day on the computer (and that with much distress), instead of 9-11 hours (with "normal" eye strain) that I've enjoyed using Macs for over a year now both at work and at home. I've compared and experimented with many different and PC configurations and again, by my subjective observations, the image stability, display crispness, contrast, and font clarity is superior on the Mac. I have heard from other visually impaired/handicapped folks that Linux has some pretty clear fonts though.

Beyond this, I'm an Accordance Bible software user and also use Mellel (a great word processor that supports native Hebrew) and Bookends (an academic reference tool that integrates with Mellel). These software products run only on Macs.

It looks like we have each utlized our software engineering backgrounds to further our mutual enjoyment and usefulness of computers in our lives!

Peace in Christ

[Edited on 1-16-2006 by BrianBowman]

You could, but you'd require emulation software. For all that, you might as well spend $500 and get a Mac mini.

New Macs, on the other hand, can run (if I remember correctly) everything, since the chips are now intel.

I may get a new iMac with the dual core chip later this year.

For the time being, my eMac works just fine. :)

and I believe the iPod Nano is a rip off. Search the net for a 4th generaton iPod Mini. Same price, more space (if all you need is music).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back