$115 Thomist bio ethics book for free

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just grabbed it - thanks!

Can anyone speak to the value of this work? Strengths/weaknesses?

It's published by Routledge, so it represents a high level of argumentation. My understanding is that it takes the Thomist distinction between faculties/capacities and applies it to the person in the context of bioethics.

For example, I have the capacity to learn Russian but not the actuality. Babies have the capacity for rationality, but not the actuality. Same with the unborn. That means you can't say things like "Unborn can't reason, so they aren't persons." No, they have the capacity for rationality, just not the actuality.

If you do a search on Amazon for either Routledge or Palgrave, you will find that both publishers have tons of free academic material on Kindle at the minute.

we need some kind of app or alert system for when these types of books are free

There is so much stuff on Amazon that I don't know if that is possible unless somebody with a particular interest in the subject is going to curate it, like Gospelebooks and Challies do for Christian books. Or maybe various publishers have lists or notices, like Eerdmans does periodically.

I'd probably try to do something like that for various subjects if you could still be an Amazon affiliate in our state and make $$ off of people clicking the links, which is what the others I mentioned do. But several years ago our illustrious governor's tax policies put an end to that in our state.

I have never attempted to read something like this, no better time than now to take the dive.

Jacob, what would you recommend for entry level understanding of Aquinas and Thomism?

I have never attempted to read something like this, no better time than now to take the dive.

Jacob, what would you recommend for entry level understanding of Aquinas and Thomism?

Feser, probably. His intro to Aquinas might be the best. Avoid the Armchair's Guide to Aquinas. It's one of the worst written books of all time.

Feser, probably. His intro to Aquinas might be the best. Avoid the Armchair's Guide to Aquinas. It's one of the worst written books of all time.
Thank you, I will pick up Fesser since I made it through the first two introductory chapters of this book without developing a headache.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back