12th July

Status
Not open for further replies.

Somerset

Puritan Board Junior
The anniversary of the battle of the Boyne. I know the politics of the time were murky and I know all has not been well with our body politic since 1690 - but I honestly feel that the freedoms and liberties we have as British men and women stem from the victory of King William.

I'm posting in advance as I will be having a couple of beers tomorrow to celebrate.

So I will confine myself to;

Have a Good 12th

We are the People

Last edited:
The Immortal Seven were guilty of high treason against the lawful King (James II) and the Glorious Revolution that ensued was thus an unjust war. Since William III was a Dutch pretender and no true English monarch, his fighting against the attempt of James II to stage a comeback at the Battle of Boyne was iniquitous. How dare you celebrate William's victory at the Battle of the Boyne...oh, wait...I don't really believe all of that! I think that the Glorious Revolution was just that...glorious! And I fully support William at the Battle of the Boyne. The Founding Fathers of the USA looked back to no single historical event more than the Glorious Revolution. It was indeed key in supporting the great Bill of Rights (1689). Good stuff.

HAVE A GOOD 12TH, ALL MY ENGLISH BROTHERS!!

Peace,
Alan

The Immortal Seven were guilty of high treason against the lawful King (James II) and the Glorious Revolution that ensued was thus an unjust war. Since William III was a Dutch pretender and no true English monarch, his fighting against the attempt of James II to stage a comeback at the Battle of Boyne was iniquitous. How dare you celebrate William's victory at the Battle of the Boyne...oh, wait...I don't really believe all of that! I think that the Glorious Revolution was just that...glorious! And I fully support William at the Battle of the Boyne. The Founding Fathers of the USA looked back to no single historical event more than the Glorious Revolution. It was indeed key in supporting the great Bill of Rights (1689).

It's always nice to see both positions of a debate argued with equal vigor. :)

Ken, I always enjoy your posts about historic calendar events! And we do have so much to be grateful for in our freedoms.

Its all OK celebrating the 12th July when you don't actually live in the country. This is the one day of the year that annoys me intensely to see pagans and sectarian bigots parading behind an open bible bringing the gospel into disrepute.

I recall a former Orangeman telling me about his conversion. One 12th July as he marched through Belfast with his bowler hat and sash. As he observed the marchers, he said to himself, 'if this is Christianity, I want nothing to do with it'. He was converted, left the order and has blossomed into a fine Godly man.

I pray many of the Orangemen marching today will come to that same realisation and see we a person is justified by faith, not political viewpoints. He is saved through the person and work of the Lord Jesus and not because of a Dutchmans victory in Ireland 300 years ago. Finally I pray for police who are the victims of the mayhem and riots that usually follow such days.

The Immortal Seven were guilty of high treason against the lawful King (James II) and the Glorious Revolution that ensued was thus an unjust war. Since William III was a Dutch pretender and no true English monarch, his fighting against the attempt of James II to stage a comeback at the Battle of Boyne was iniquitous. How dare you celebrate William's victory at the Battle of the Boyne...oh, wait...I don't really believe all of that! I think that the Glorious Revolution was just that...glorious! And I fully support William at the Battle of the Boyne. The Founding Fathers of the USA looked back to no single historical event more than the Glorious Revolution. It was indeed key in supporting the great Bill of Rights (1689). Good stuff.

HAVE A GOOD 12TH, ALL MY ENGLISH BROTHERS!!

Peace,
Alan

Michael Barone, the Washington Examiner columnist, wrote a good book on the subject.

http://www.amazon.com/Our-First-Revolution-Remarkable-Upheaval/dp/1400097924/ref=tmm_hrd_title_0

Last edited:
Stuart - sorry you feel so hostile. There are good people in the OO, including many Christians - though far, far fewer than there should be.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back