1st July 1916

Status
Not open for further replies.

Somerset

Puritan Board Junior
Yesterday was the 98th anniversery of the start of the battle of the Somme, one of the bloodiest in our nation's history. The most succesful part of the battle was that carried out by the 36th (Ulster) Division. They advanced further than any other allied unit, capturing the German trenches. Unable to be reinforced, and attacked on three sides, they were forced to withdraw.

This seemed like a total defeat, but their bravery ensured that when Ireland gained independence, most of the North remained in the UK.

Two quotes of interest -=

Philip,Gibbs, the well known war correspondent, was to write that day:-

“Their attack was one of the finest displays of human courage in the world “

Captain, later Lieutenant Colonel Wilfred Spender, who observed this glorious action, also paid his tribute to the Ulster troops,

“I am not an Ulsterman, but yesterday, the 1st July, as I followed their amazing attack, I felt I would rather be an Ulsterman than anything else in the world. Then I saw them attack, beginning at a slow walk over No Man’s Land, and then suddenly let loose, as they charged over the font two lines of enemy trenches shouting “No surrender boys!”

The First July 1916 records the greatest British losses in a single day. To put the number of deaths in context, take the American dead from Pearl Harbour, Normandy Landings and 911 and multiply by a factor of three. The battle then raged on until mid-November 1916.
The only “successful” parts of the battle were in the south around Mametz and Montauban where some first day objectives were actually succeeded.

The 36th Ulster’s unquestionable “achievements” on First July were down to a number of factors. Their inability to follow given orders and the beneficial terrain being equally significant. The 36th Ulsters were unquestionably brave that day but no more so than any other unit taking part. For example the 103rd Tyneside Irish were effectively wiped out before they reached their own front line and the 1st Newfoundland Regiment’s losses represented a significant proportion of a generation.

The success of the Battle of The Somme is not measured in the feet (or inches) gained. Its purpose was to cause a distraction for the Germans to relieve the pressure on the French at Verdun (the meat grinder). To that end it achieved its objective.

Yesterday was the 98th anniversery of the start of the battle of the Somme, one of the bloodiest in our nation's history. The most succesful part of the battle was that carried out by the 36th (Ulster) Division. They advanced further than any other allied unit, capturing the German trenches. Unable to be reinforced, and attacked on three sides, they were forced to withdraw.

This seemed like a total defeat, but their bravery ensured that when Ireland gained independence, most of the North remained in the UK.

Two quotes of interest -=

Philip,Gibbs, the well known war correspondent, was to write that day:-

“Their attack was one of the finest displays of human courage in the world “

Captain, later Lieutenant Colonel Wilfred Spender, who observed this glorious action, also paid his tribute to the Ulster troops,

“I am not an Ulsterman, but yesterday, the 1st July, as I followed their amazing attack, I felt I would rather be an Ulsterman than anything else in the world. Then I saw them attack, beginning at a slow walk over No Man’s Land, and then suddenly let loose, as they charged over the font two lines of enemy trenches shouting “No surrender boys!”

Ken; Would you mind if I quoted this as from you on Facebook?

While the courage of the individual men and junior officers can generally not be faulted, the senior generals from all nations were collectively probably the worst to ever participate in a war.

While the courage of the individual men and junior officers can generally not be faulted, the senior generals from all nations were collectively probably the worst to ever participate in a war.

The saying “Lions led by Donkeys” has often been used to suggest that the fighting man was let down by their military leaders. Whilst this is a quote most often associated with WW1 it does in fact stem from the Crimea.
Unquestionable some senior military staff made errors of judgment in the field, as in any war. There are a number of credible anecdotes where unpopular junior officers being killed by “a stray bullet” in the heat of battle. In my opinion, the real “Donkeys” were the interfering Politicians who directed the Generals and later wrote history to unfairly attribute blame towards them. Sadly, this continues to this day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back