2 Chron 24:20-22 - Last prophecy in the Old Testament?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Semper Fidelis

2 Timothy 2:24-25
Staff member
[bible]2 Chron 24:20-22[/bible]

The Hebrew Bible is divided into three parts:
(1) The Torah, "Law," or Pentateuch.
(2) The Nevi'im (Prophets)
(3) The Kethubim, or the "Writings," generally termed Hagiographa.

This is referred to as the Tanakh

You can look up the division of the Scriptures but the Writings are the last division of the Hebrew Scriptures with 2 Chronicles falling at the very end.

It is apparent, in the reading of the New Testament, that Christ and the Apostles refer to these divisions as well with Peter even referring to Paul's writings as Graphe (sp?).

I don't think this has profound theological consequences but our own division has always had me believe that Revelation ceases in the OT with Malachi's prophecy but it appears, rather, that the prophecy above represents the silencing of prophecy until John.

(4.) The dying martyr's prophetic imprecation of vengeance upon his murderers: The Lord look upon it, and require it! This came not from a spirit of revenge, but a spirit of prophecy: He will require it. This would be the continual cry of the blood they shed, as Abel's blood cried against Cain: “Let the God to whom vengeance belongs demand blood for blood. He will do it, for he is righteous.” This precious blood was quickly reckoned for in the judgments that came upon this apostate prince; it came into the account afterwards in the destruction of Jerusalem by the Chaldeans - their misusing the prophets was that which brought upon them ruin without remedy (2Ch_36:16); nay, our Saviour makes the persecutors of him and his gospel answerable for the blood of this Zechariah; so loud, so long, does the blood of the martyrs cry. See Mat_23:35. Such as this is the cry of the souls under the altar (Rev_6:10), How long ere thou avenge our blood? For it shall not always go unrevenged.
Matthew Henry

and when he died, he said, the Lord look upon it, and requite it; meaning his blood; this he said, not from a private spirit of revenge, but with a view to the glory of divine justice, and which he delivered not as a wish, or by way of imprecation, that so it might be, but as a prophecy that so it would be.
John Gill

I don't think this is the last prophecy in the OT - the event occurs before Israel is led into captivity. It is true that 2 Chronicles is last in the binding up of the OT, and then the theologically significant section is

[bible]2 Chronicles 36:23[/bible]

with the answer being that Christ is the one who "goes up" to build the Temple. But Malachi is in fact (chronologically) the last OT prophecy.

Good point. In other words, you would agree that Malachi's is not the last prophetic word in the OT canon. Also, it seems to me that Zechariah is the last Prophet in the OT prior to John.

Malachi is the last. Zechariah (the son of Jehoiada) is the last of the prophets slain by Israel. Well, I am not sure about Zechariah (the Biblical author). I don't have my books, and I need a nap!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back