2 Timothy 3.12: A Reminder

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 13126

"Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution." - 2 Timothy 3:12 (KJV)

I thought I would take a few moments this morning to exhort the brethren in our Puritan bubble onto good works, especially those works which would glorify God at the expense of their own personal comfort and suffering persecution in this fallen world we live in. It's been a year or more since I've written to folks on the Internet regarding this subject, but it's a point that bears repeating. So I've decided to re-post that original thread here.

Do you want to follow and be more like Jesus Christ?
  1. He was a stumbling block and a rock of offense. Would others describe you as a stumbling block and a rock of offense? (1 Peter 2:6-8)
  2. He offended many. Would others describe you as offensive? (Matthew 11:6; Matthew 11:57; Matthew 15:11; John 6:61)
  3. He was zealous for the Lord and for His house. Would others describe you as zealous for the Lord? (John 2:17)
  4. The world hated Him and His followers. Are you hated by the vast majority of people you encounter? (John 15:18-19; 1 John 3:13; Matthew 10:22)
  5. All who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted. Have you been routinely persecuted by others? (2 Timothy 3:12)
  6. Are you a friend of the world and the people in it? Do you try to persuade or please men rather than God? Is it possible to please both? (James 4:4; Galatians 1:10; Matthew 6:24)
  7. Do you hate your own family and your own life compared to how much you love the Lord? Can you follow Him if you don't? Do you endeavor to do what He says? Should you even call Jesus your Lord if you don't? (Luke 14:26; Luke 6:46)

If we are faithful to the Lord, our life will look like His. A servant is not greater than His Master (John 15:20; Matthew 10:24). You won't find a better way than Yahweh and His way. His eternally begotten Son Jesus Christ isn't simply the best way, or a way, but The Way.

The world killed Jesus Christ and His followers. Who wants you dead?

Grace and peace be yours in Jesus Christ.

Last edited by a moderator:
The same apostle who wrote 2 Tim 3:12 also wrote Romans 12:18.

If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men. (Rom. 12:18 KJV)

So, while one is trying to get the right people to want to kill him, he needs to be peaceful about it.

"Yea, and all that will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution." - 2 Timothy 3:12 (KJV)

I thought I would take a few moments this morning to exhort the brethren in our Puritan bubble onto good works, especially those works which would glorify God at the expense of their own personal comfort and suffering persecution in this fallen world we live in. It's been a year or more since I've written to folks on the Internet regarding this subject, but it's a point that bears repeating. So I've decided to re-post that original thread here.

Do you want to follow and be more like Jesus Christ?
  1. He was a stumbling block and a rock of offense. Would others describe you as a stumbling block and a rock of offense? (1 Peter 2:6-8)
  2. He offended many. Would others describe you as offensive? (Matthew 11:6; Matthew 11:57; Matthew 15:11; John 6:61)
  3. He was zealous for the Lord and for His house. Would others describe you as zealous for the Lord? (John 2:17)
  4. The world hated Him and His followers. Are you hated by the vast majority of people you encounter? (John 15:18-19; 1 John 3:13; Matthew 10:22)
  5. All who desire to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted. Have you been routinely persecuted by others? (2 Timothy 3:12)
  6. Are you a friend of the world and the people in it? Do you try to persuade or please men rather than God? Is it possible to please both? (James 4:4; Galatians 1:10; Matthew 6:24)
  7. Do you hate your own family and your own life compared to how much you love the Lord? Can you follow Him if you don't? Do you endeavor to do what He says? Should you even call Jesus your Lord if you don't? (Luke 14:26; Luke 6:46)

If we are faithful to the Lord, our life will look like His. A servant is not greater than His Master (John 15:20; Matthew 10:24). You won't find a better way than Yahweh and His way. His eternally begotten Son Jesus Christ isn't simply the best way, or a way, but The Way.

The world killed Jesus Christ and His followers. Who wants you dead?

Grace and peace be yours in Jesus Christ.
I wonder if today that we could still live a relatively quiet faithful life, especially in comparison to 1st generation believers. I do understand the overall sentiment however. Things may change in a hurry all across the board.

I wonder if today that we could still live a relatively quiet faithful life, especially in comparison to 1st generation believers. I do understand the overall sentiment however. Things may change in a hurry all across the board.

The Scripture can not be broken, brother. The idea that someone can live a godly life in Christ Jesus without persecution is fallacious. 2 Timothy 3:12 stands.

I guess I need to get more people to hate me to prove my worth then.

I'm going to venture to guess that this is an exercise in sarcasm, but I'll humor you. You could spend an eternity trying to prove your worth and still be worthless. The same is true of myself and everyone else here.

"So likewise ye, when ye shall have done all those things which are commanded you, say, We are unprofitable servants: we have done that which was our duty to do." - Luke 17:10 (KJV)

But what the original intent of this post is meant to call out is that we're fooling ourselves if we think we can live godly lives in Christ Jesus apart from worldly persecution. It is enough for a servant to be like his Master. For the most part we are all well acquainted with our lives of ease. How often do we hear of brothers losing their jobs for witnessing to co-workers? How often do we sacrifice relationships with friends and family in the interest of separation? How can we aspire to be 'qodesh' or 'hagios' without separation? How often do we experience loss for proclaiming the Cross today?

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword. For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man's foes shall be they of his own household." - Matthew 10:34-36 (KJV)

What kind of blacksmith do we suppose God is? He is the Creator. He has come with a Sword. We know He made it to be sharp (Hebrews 4:12). Who among us has a sword? Who among us is willing to wield it? Who among us is willing to let it cut?

Fewer than have scabbards.

Just a note: Wearing a mask for public safety is NOT persecution.

Actually, it is in a context where the wearing of a mask is a badge of identifying with an evil regime - and especially when it has been made a condition for attending church - which is binding people's consciences beyond scripture.

Last edited:
The Scripture can not be broken, brother. The idea that someone can live a godly life in Christ Jesus without persecution is fallacious. 2 Timothy 3:12 stands.
I understand. I’ve seen and experienced conflict and rejection, etc. We do suffer for our faith. Where else shall we go?

I understand. I’ve seen and experienced conflict and rejection, etc. We do suffer for our faith. Where else shall we go?
To the ends of the Earth, right? (Acts 13:47) :) As far as we're able, I suppose. God bless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back