20 years since the legalization of Abortion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin

Puritan Board Doctor
Today marks 20 years since the Supreme Court of Canada struck down Cadada's abortion laws.

By Gods grace many areas still have no free standing clinics, no hospital abortions, or requirements that (at least) 2 doctors concur that an abortion is "needed". One province (PEI) has NO doctors that will commit an abortion.
However over all the situation is bad. Probably not as bad as the USA, over most of the country, but wickedness is never relative.

Please pray for a House that is willing to confront the court on this and other issues. Pray for hospital boards, and Provincial legislatures that they will not sucumb to pressure to "increase access", and most of all pray for repentance and revival.

"One province (PEI) has NO doctors that will commit an abortion."

I didn't know that. How do they get away with it? You would think that someone would sue for services.

I differ a bit with the thread heading. There is no such thing as a legal abortion and we need to keep using language that reflects this. The supreme court in Canada and the US can only interpret the law and they interpreted wrongly in the abortion ruling. Abortion is the taking of a life without just cause and is therefore murder. Murder is against the law in both Canada and the US. So abortion is allowed in our countries but it is not legal. Those in government will not prosecute this crime. Only the senate and parliament can make laws and they have never made a law that says any form of murder is legal.

I continue to pray for both our countries and an end to this slaughter.

I differ a bit with the thread heading. There is no such thing as a legal abortion and we need to keep using language that reflects this. The supreme court in Canada and the US can only interpret the law and they interpreted wrongly in the abortion ruling. Abortion is the taking of a life without just cause and is therefore murder. Murder is against the law in both Canada and the US. So abortion is allowed in our countries but it is not legal. Those in government will not prosecute this crime. Only the senate and parliament can make laws and they have never made a law that says any form of murder is legal.

I continue to pray for both our countries and an end to this slaughter.

Well said.

I know that the estimated number of murders since it passed in the US is ~50 million. Do you have a number at hand for Canada?

I know that the estimated number of murders since it passed in the US is ~50 million. Do you have a number at hand for Canada?

I heard 2,000,000 at church on Sunday & thought it sounded high. I will see what I can find.

From Wikipedia;

Abortion in Canada is not limited by law. While some non-legal obstacles exist, Canada is one of only a few nations with no legal restrictions on abortion. Regulations and accessibility varies between provinces.

Polls continue to show that a majority of Canadians believe abortion should remain legal in some circumstances (see Opinion polls, below). Over 110,000 abortions are performed in Canada every year, that represents a ratio of about 30 abortions to every 100 live births[1] . Ninety percent of abortions are performed in the first trimester, with just 2 to 3% performed after 16 weeks[citation needed].

i guess the 2,000,000 number is realistic after all. That is chilling.

30 abortions to 100 live births in a country that brings in 200,000 immigrants every year because we "don't have enough people"!

I have found that the greatest extent of the wickedness of abortion is not the millions of abortions done. That is a horrendous thing. But it does even beyond that, beyond the actions of the hand to the thoughts and intents of the heart.

We now live in a culture where abortion has stultified our understanding of death, murder, and even compassion. We now have what I call "the first generation of post-Roe doctors." Doctors, especially OBs, now have a different view about all sorts of things. Women pregnant who get a test that shows that the child "might" have birth defects are rushed to think about abortion; those who "more certainly" have birth defect children are treated as if they are dolts for not immediately aborting with callous disregard (for even the patient's mental state). Women with multiple fetuses are matter of factly told that they must have selective reduction (i.e. kill a couple of the babies).

This is the state of wickedness.

And, as Francis Schaeffer taught us, the sanctity of life is of a whole piece of cloth. I see it at the other end of the spectrum. With 350 senior citizens, 99 of them in skilled nursing, we have deaths on a regular basis (6 or so in January alone). The corrosive impact of Roe not only numbs the consciences of the country as to infanticide, it has turned us into a bunch of Stoics and Epicureans in terms of euthanasia.

My older daughter and her husband are watching his mother die of metastatic colon cancer (to the lungs and liver too). The woman is a Godly lady of faith. While it is heart rending to see her slipping away at 57 (she probably will be here for another few days), the family has gathered about her to pray, sing, and reminisce. Last night my daughter and son-in-law were overwhelmed with the grief of it all. But, praise God, they think like Christians, not like these "life is disposable" types benumbed by Roe v. Wade to all issues of life.

35 years of disposible people have done a real number on the collective conscience and sensitivities of a people. May the Lord deliver us from this insanity. Some of the latest polls, by the way, indicate that the younger generation seems less inclined to justify abortion on demand than my generation.

And, as Francis Schaeffer taught us, the sanctity of life is of a whole piece of cloth. I see it at the other end of the spectrum. With 350 senior citizens, 99 of them in skilled nursing, we have deaths on a regular basis (6 or so in January alone). The corrosive impact of Roe not only numbs the consciences of the country as to infanticide, it has turned us into a bunch of Stoics and Epicureans in terms of euthanasia.

My older daughter and her husband are watching his mother die of metastatic colon cancer (to the lungs and liver too). The woman is a Godly lady of faith. While it is heart rending to see her slipping away at 57 (she probably will be here for another few days), the family has gathered about her to pray, sing, and reminisce. Last night my daughter and son-in-law were overwhelmed with the grief of it all. But, praise God, they think like Christians, not like these "life is disposable" types benumbed by Roe v. Wade to all issues of life.

35 years of disposible people have done a real number on the collective conscience and sensitivities of a people. May the Lord deliver us from this insanity. Some of the latest polls, by the way, indicate that the younger generation seems less inclined to justify abortion on demand than my generation.

Another example is the alleged "mercy killings" in the aftermath of the Hurricane Katrina flooding in the New Orleans area. Nary even a peep out of even most pro-life organizations about that one. The Attorney General attempted to charge the doctors and others but the case was botched and made to look like a witch hunt.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back