2006-2007 College Basketball

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirginiaHuguenot

Puritanboard Librarian
The college basketball regular season will be starting soon. Who are you rooting for? What are the best players, teams, matchups, conferences? Who will make it to Atlanta?

47.gif

Florida runaway preseason No. 1

By JIM O'CONNELL, AP Basketball Writer
November 6, 2006

The same starting five that left the court in Indianapolis with Florida's first national championship will start this season with the No. 1 ranking.

The Gators were the runaway choice Monday in The Associated Press' preseason college basketball poll -- no surprise, since they have everyone back for a run at being the first repeat national champion since Duke in 1992.

Florida received 63 first-place votes and 1,788 points from the 72-member national media panel to easily outdistance North Carolina, which got the other nine No. 1 votes and 1,704 points.

"We appreciate and respect that people think this highly of our basketball team," Gators coach Billy Donovan said Monday. "That being said, this ranking has everything to do with what we were able to accomplish last year and nothing to do with this year. We're very honored to be the preseason No. 1, but at the same time, we fully realize we have a lot of work ahead of us."

Some of that work comes early in the season with a game against third-ranked Kansas in Las Vegas on Nov. 25.

The last preseason No. 1 to win the national championship was Connecticut in 2004, and before that it was Kentucky in 1996.

Pittsburgh was fourth, matching its highest preseason ranking ever in 1987-88.

LSU, a Final Four team last season, and UCLA, which lost to Florida in the championship game were fifth and sixth. George Mason, the first mid-major to reach the Final Four and the team the Gators beat in the national semifinals, received just one point, a single 25th-place vote.

Ohio State had what was considered the nation's best recruiting class, though 7-foot-1 center Greg Oden won't be available until January while he recovers from offseason wrist surgery. Still, the Buckeyes were seventh, followed by Georgetown, Wisconsin and Arizona.

The last team to return all the starters from a national champion was Arizona in the 1997-98 season. The Wildcats, who also won the title in Indianapolis and were the preseason No. 1 the next year, lost to Utah in the 1998 tournament, one win shy of the Final Four.

Florida became the fourth team to win the national championship after not having been ranked in the preseason poll. The others were Texas Western in 1966, Villanova in 1985 and Syracuse in 2003.

Alabama was 11th in the preseason poll and was followed by Duke, Texas A&M, Memphis, Boston College, Marquette, Washington, Connecticut, Creighton and Syracuse.

The last five ranked teams were Texas, Kentucky, Georgia Tech, Nevada and Tennessee.

Duke was No. 1 the final rankings after the last regular season ended. This marks the Blue Devils' 186th consecutive poll appearance, the second-longest streak of all time.

UCLA was ranked in 221 consecutive polls from 1966 to 1980. Duke's current streak started with the preseason poll of 1996-97. Connecticut has the second-longest current streak at 59 weeks, a run that started with the final poll of 2002-03.

Kansas and Kentucky have the longest current streak of consecutive appearances in the preseason rankings having been in every one since 1991-92.

Florida was 11th in last season's final poll and all but seven members of the preseason Top 25 were in the last rankings of last season.

Texas A&M, which has four starters back from a 22-9 team that made the Aggies' first NCAA tournament appearance since 1987, is ranked for the first time since Dec. 30, 1980.

You better watch out for Texas A&M. Two big games to watch are the LSU and UCLA games against A&M coming up in Dec.

D-III hoops team scores 201 in win

December 2, 2006

SALEM, W.Va. (AP) -- Lincoln University set an NCAA division record for points in a game, beating Ohio Sate-Marion 201-78 Saturday.

Lincoln coach Garfield Yuille said he sent his team into the game with a talking to about how disappointed he was following a 90-79 loss to Salem International on Friday.

"I said you guys got to come out here and play like you know how to play," he said. "They were really mad that they lost yesterday."

They took out that anger on Ohio State-Marion.

The scoring record broke the Division III mark set in January 2005 by the University of Redlands, which scored 172 points on La Sierra College.

Lincoln (5-1) also a record for margin of victory and set and then broke an NCAA division record for points in a half. Lincoln scored 97 in the first half, then set a new record with 104 in the second half, sports information director Rob Knox said as he consulted a suddenly out-of-date record book. The old record was held by Redlands in the same drubbing of La Sierra.

Lincoln's Sami Wylie set a Division III record with 21 3-pointers. He finished with 69 points -- a school record.

Wylie was 23-of-44 from the field, 21-for-41 from a 3-point distance, and played 24 minutes in the consolation game of the Joe Manchin Memorial Basketball Classic at Salem International.

Wylie said his coach's pre-game talk inspired the performance.

"He like really got on us for the loss and I don't like it when my coaches get on me. So I had to take it out on the team that we were playing," Wylie said.

Yuille said the reality of the performance by Wylie and his team started to set in later in the game. He noticed they'd piled up more than 180 points when he turned to an assistant and started talking about Wylie breaking the record for 3-pointers. "I said this is crazy."

Dwight Dean added 33 points, 13 rebounds and 7 steals for Lincoln. Darryl White had 28 points and 9 rebounds.

Lincoln is the second college basketball team in history to break 200 points.

Yuille, however, said he was heading home to Pennsylvania dissatisfied with the weekend.

"I don't consider it successful. This makes up for the loss," he said. "We just get back to trying to play better defense."

Lincoln did play some defense: game stats show 48 steals to go with 62 OSU-Marion turnovers.

(3) North Carolina 94
High Point 69

December 9, 2006

CHAPEL HILL, N.C. (AP) -- Tyler Hansbrough had 24 points and North Carolina gave coach Roy Williams his 500th career victory, a 94-69 rout of High Point on Saturday night.

Williams reached the 500-win mark in his 19th season, faster than any other Division I coach. Jerry Tarkanian won his 500th game in his 20th season.

This year marks the 50th anniversary of North Carolina's 1957 national championship (54-53, 3OT over Kansas -- see the The Best Game Ever: How Frank McGuire's '57 Tar Heels Beat Wilt and Revolutionized College Basketball by Adam Lucas)

frankmcguire1.JPG
306065_017_st.jpg

and the 25th anniversary of North Carolina's 1982 national champtionship (63-62 over Georgetown).

820405_sm.jpg
jordanunc82pf-1.jpg

On Feb. 10, 2007, when the Tar Heels play Wake Forest at home, both the 1957 and 1982 national championship teams will be recognized at the Smith Center in Chapel Hill, NC.

Am wondering: Who has more Championships NC or Kentucky ? What's the Head to Head on these 2 through the years ?

Am wondering: Who has more Championships NC or Kentucky ? What's the Head to Head on these 2 through the years ?

Through 2006:

National Championships
(1) UCLA - 11
(2) Kentucky - 8
(4) UNC - 5

NCAA Championships
(1) UCLA - 11
(2) Kentucky - 7
(4) UNC - 4

Total Victories
(1) Kentucky - 1926
(2) UNC - 1883

NCAA Final Four Appearances
(1) UNC - 16
(1) UCLA - 16
(4) Kentucky - 13

NCAA Tournament Appearances
(1) Kentucky - 46
(2) UNC - 37

NCAA Tournament Victories
(1) Kentucky - 96
(2) UNC - 88

North Carolina's victory over Georgia Tech last Saturday was the 1,900th all-time victory by North Carolina, the second school ever to reach that mark.

It was great to see the 1957 and 1982 national championship teams honored today in Chapel Hill. Dean Smith looks older, but yet still the same. Michael Jordan, Sam Perkins, James Worthy, Lennie Rosenbluth and many others were there. I wish Matt Doherty could have been there. It was a special tribute to two special teams.

VCU beat George Mason last night. I saw the last two minutes of the game and they were amazing. Mason was up by 5 points with 2 minutes to go, 57-52. Then Eric Maynor stole the ball twice and scored 5 points in a span of about 10 seconds. He scored 9 points total in the last 2 minutes of the game for a final score, VCU - 65, George Mason - 59.

Brandan Wright, North Carolina, was named the 2006-2007 ACC Rookie of the Year. He is the third consecutive Tar Heel to win this honor.

I am personally rooting for the Purdue Boilermakers! Boiler up!

But I am telling you this, after watching Notre Dame live, I would almost put money on them going to the elite eight. They are one of the best shooting teams in the country, and in the little college basketball I have seen this year, they play the best team basketball in the country. They don't have real exlposive players but Luke Harangody is a beast. I was able to watch him play in high school too, and he has GREAT touch for a guy his size. CAN'T WAIT FOR THE TOURNAMENT!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back