2008 College Football Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe Penn State can represent the Big 10 a little better in the title game than OSU has done the last two years. Congrats to all the Nittany Lions fans on the board. Now don't trip up against a lesser opponent, and go get the Big 10 back some respect!

The downward spiral for my LSU Tigers continues. They've given up 50+ points two out of the last three weeks. Admittedly it was against Florida and Georgia (preseason #1) but I don't know if that's ever happened in the history of the program. If they don't start playing better defense and cut down on the turnovers they'll be looking at an Independence Bowl berth at best.

Vandy managed to lose to an improved Duke team today, so that 6th win is proving to be elusive.

If Texas, Alabama and Penn State all finish undefeated, I think Penn State will be on the outside looking in at the championship game.

n525655012_4515250_8751.jpg

Adam - you beat me to it!!! I was just about to post that picture of Pryor. Man, that was a huge win. Odds are PSU will be playing in the BCS title game, so long as they don't lay an egg against Iowa in 2 weeks.

Too bad I missed you at the Michigan game - I got there just an hour and a half before kickoff. That was another great game.

I think it's Texas-Penn State for all the marbles on January 8...

HEY!! I got your call...SUNDAY NIGHT! I was driving to work and my voice mail alert sounded and it was your message from Saturday! (lol) I thought maybe you hadn't made it and when I tried to call you from outside the Bryce Jordan Center (around 3 p.m.) I didn't even get a ring on my phone. It kept saying "calling" but that was it-nothing else. Sorry it didn't work out too.

As for PSU, we can only beat ourselves at this point. Now I am going to be rooting against Texas and Alabama to help ensure Penn State's position!

Well, I do think Texas looks better than Alabama :) I just need my Nittany Lions to get there, it's been too long and since I've been to 4-5 PSU games up in Happy Valley this year it sure would be special!

PSU would match up well with Texas or Alabama because both are 1-dimensional - Alabama can only run, Texas can only pass. Alabama's defense is much better than Texas, so really I like PSU's odds against Texas more than Alabama. I think Alabama will lose at some point - could be at LSU, could be in the SEC championship against a very good Florida team or a Georgia team out for revenge. I don't think anyone in the Big 12 will knock off Texas...

Hmmmm, having two teams coming off of 60+ point games should be interesting next Saturday (Georgia vs Florida). This is almost always a big game for the SEC and this year will be especially so.

The ranking system is a little crazy to me. Georgia slipped from number 1 to something like 3 without losing a game. After losing one game (to Alabama) they've been consistently ranked behind other teams that have lost at least one (including Florida). I guess it has to do with the relative strength of the team that beat you, but still, you don't march into LSU on their home turf and win very often. And not many of their top players are seniors, so they should be good for a while.

lol- I made it

Why the PSU hate? They we're Big Ten champs just three years ago! Far from ten years ago.

I was just messing with you, Adam. Like I said above, I hope Penn St. can go to the title game and represent the Big 10 a lot better than my Buckeyes have done for the last two years.

I really think they are in if they win out. I can't see Alabama not losing at least one game before the season is over. And the Big 10 is a lot stronger this year than the past couple of years, so that should help Penn State in the computer rankings.

On the other hand the biggest nightmare for College Football would be to have three powerhouses like Alabama, Texas, and Penn St. sitting there undefeated at the end of the season with one team getting left out.

I would be surprised if Alabama wins out too. Texas has the showdown with Texas Tech this weekend too. As the past few years have shown us, you can't ever assume anything.

The ranking system is a little crazy to me. Georgia slipped from number 1 to something like 3 without losing a game. After losing one game (to Alabama) they've been consistently ranked behind other teams that have lost at least one (including Florida). I guess it has to do with the relative strength of the team that beat you, but still, you don't march into LSU on their home turf and win very often. And not many of their top players are seniors, so they should be good for a while.

Yes, the ranking system (at least AP) is very inconsistent, In my humble opinion. USC still gets props despite playing in a weak conference and losing to a fairly weak team (Oregon St.) while UGA lost to a top 10 team (now ranked # 2) and drops 8 spots in the polls. Oklahoma loses to Texas (also a top 10 team at the time) by 10 points and only drops 4 spots or so in the polls. Everyone remembers that Georgia was blown out in the first half against Alabama, but no one seems to remember that Georgia also put up 30 points themselves in the second half (only one other team has put up more than 14 against Bama this season) to make it only an 11 point loss. And, interestingly, I don't recall any of Georgia's fans heading for the exits at halftime. When Georgia went up 21 against LSU in the fourth quarter, the TV announcers were estimating that about 30% of the Tiger "faithful" left the game. What's up with that?!?

Yes, most of Georgia's team are not seniors. However, their two best players (Moreno and Stafford) both have 3 years of service under their belts, so they are eligible to enter the NFL draft after this season. I read a story the other day that surmised that they both could be first round picks, so I wouldn't be surprised to see both of them playing somewhere other than Athens next season. I hope that's not the case (Stafford, for instance, still needs another year to mentally mature, as he is STILL making boneheaded plays from time to time), but it's certainly a strong possibility. :(

The Bammers around here are driving me nuts. I hope they lose a game just to quiet them down. No, then they will whine about an unfair call or some other lame excuse. I can't win! I want out. . .

Aw phoooy. I thought gator meat was supposed to taste like chicken. The Dawgs couldn't do anything today!

I'm watching Georgia take on Florida!

So did I! Not much to see! Move along now!

Nice to see Urban Meyer's great "get back at 'em" scheme that he promised was to call a couple of time outs at the end of the game to prolong it a couple more plays. Wow, that was just absolutely devastating! I mean, it wasn't the 49-10 beat down, but those timeouts... I mean, I don't think that kind of genius can be topped ever. A team smacks you around the field, embarrasses you will a (low class) all team celebration, beats up your quarterback and makes him cry after the game, ruins your national time repeat hopes to the point that you write in your autobiography about how there's going to be payback, and it's the timeouts at the end of the game? That Urban Meyer really knows how to send a message.

This sets it all up for an Alabama-Florida showdown in the SEC title game. If Alabama wins that, it should lock up a spot in the title game (assuming they win out, which they should). I doubt a one-loss Florida team could jump over an undefeated Penn State team with a win, but stranger things have happened. But I'm hoping Florida doesn't get in! :lol:

As an Arkansan I still can't believe that ASU is even playing SEC teams. . . But if a team wants a win on homecoming, then pick on the little guy.

I still remember when Arkansas State was a I-AA team and faced my alma mater Georgia Southern in the championship game (1986 was the year, I believe). They talked smack all week long about how the NCAA just needed to give them the trophy as it wouldn't be a problem putting up a bunch of points on GSU's defense. They were right, sort of: they managed to put up 21 points; too bad the Eagles scored 48! :lol:

[video=youtube;KtnAFT20ncY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KtnAFT20ncY[/video]

[video=youtube;83W6-dN1PcM]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=83W6-dN1PcM[/video]

[video=youtube;Uq1nElVOtlw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uq1nElVOtlw[/video]

I remember that game! Man, that was a long time ago.

A long time ago indeed! I was not even a Christian at the time.

Ah, the marvelous providence of God; the success of GSU's football team helped tilt me toward attending that school for college. It was there that my roommates told me of the gospel and I was converted to Christ. See, God even uses college football to reach a cold rebellious heart like mine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back