2008 College Football Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
pitt is it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!
No offense, Ben, but that was about the most boring OT game I've ever seen. I kept flipping back and forth during the UGA game (had to, couldn't stand to watch that beating for too long of a stretch at one time), and all they did was kick field goals! But they did beat the Irish, and that's always a good day!

Crimson Tide makes homecoming sweet wth 35-0 win over Arkansas State

Watch out Auburn.

Oh, I don't think you'll have any problems with Auburn this year. And I think I'll be rooting for Bama quite a bit the rest of the season, especially that first Saturday in December when they meet a bunch of nasty reptiles in the Georgia Dome.

And since it looks like Texas Tech is going to give a beat down to the #1 team in the land, things are shaping up for a Penn State v. Alabama title game.

A win versus the Irish is like a win versus the Yankees. Anybody that does it, cheers to them!

If the Gators played the Irish, I don't know what I'd do. Probably hope for a 0-0 tie, then nobody scoring in infinite overtimes...

And since it looks like Texas Tech is going to give a beat down to the #1 team in the land, things are shaping up for a Penn State v. Alabama title game.

That's what I want soooo bad! But just so long as PSU makes it I'll be very, very happy.

That's what I want soooo bad! But just so long as PSU makes it I'll be very, very happy.

Yep, exactly. I'm not worried about PSU still being #3 in the BCS. Texas Tech will lose to Oklahoma State this Saturday, and if not, then definitely to Oklahoma in two weeks in Norman. I hope Alabama wins out and plays PSU in the title game. Not only would PSU match up very well with Bama's 1-dimensional offense and suspect pass defense, but it would complete the year of redemption for JoePa and earn some respect back for the Big 10...

Gotta root against Texas Tech this week and maybe Alabama too. I want PSU to be the ONLY undefeated team so they aren't ripped out of the National title game as they've been numerous times throughout the years. (esp. 1994 when they could have beaten any team in College football by two scores minimum.)

Ahh - finally Fulmer is gone. Good coach, great man but still time to go.

Who do you think they'll call in to replace him? I've heard Lane Kiffen, Jon Gruden, and even Jay Paterno. What do you think?

Here are some:

Tim Brewster

Current status: Second year at Minnesota (8-13)

Alma Mater: Illinois

Background: New Jersey native was tight end and captain of Illinois 1984 Rose Bowl team. Got his coaching start under Mack Brown at UNC and Texas. Moved to NFL and helped develop Antonio Gates in San Diego. Coached for Denver for two years before landing University of Minnesota job in 2007. First team went 1-11, but the Gophers are 7-2 this year. Reputation as tough recruiter. One son is junior-college quarterback, another is freshman DB at Texas.

Butch Davis

Current status: Second year at North Carolina (10-10)

Alma Mater: Arkansas

Background: Oklahoma native suffered career-ending injury early in Arkansas career. First college job was assistant at Oklahoma State. Spent five years with Jimmy Johnson at Dallas Cowboys, the last two as defensive coordinator. Left for University of Miami in 1995, where he went 51-20 in six seasons, including 11-1 in 2000. Head coach Cleveland Browns from 2001-04 (24-35). Hired to turn North Carolina around in November, 2006. Went 4-8 first year and Tar Heels are 6-2 in 2008.

Jim Grobe

Current status: Eighth year at Wake Forest (51-42)

Alma Mater: Virginia

Background: Played defense at Virginia. Was 33-33-1 in six years at Ohio University before going to Wake Forest in 2001. Led the Deacons to 2006 ACC title and won ACC and Associated Press national coach of the year honors.

Jon Gruden

Current status: Seventh year with Tampa Bay Bucs (54-51)

Alma Mater: Dayton

Background: Ohio native’s first college job was grad assistant at Tennessee in 1986-87. Later worked for 49ers and Packers before becoming offensive coordinator in Philadelphia. Was Oakland Raiders head coach 1998-2001 (38-26) before he went to Tampa Bay in 2002. Won Super Bowl in his first season. Wife Cindy is from East Tennessee and attended UT.

Brian Kelly

Current status: Third year at Cincinnati (17-5)

Alma Mater: Assumption

Background: Massachusetts native was linebacker at Assumption. Went 118-35-2 in 13 seasons as head coach at Grand Valley State (NCAA Division II) in Michigan. Then was 19-16 at Central Michigan, including 9-4 in 2006. Hired at Cincinnati to replace Mark Dantonio in time for 2006 International Bowl, then went 10-2 in first full season with Bearcats.

Lane Kiffin

Current status: Fired by Oakland Raiders on Sept.30 with 5-15 record.

Alma Mater: Fresno State

Background: Joined Pete Carroll’s staff at Southern Cal in 2001 and was offensive coordinator in 2005-06. The ‘05 Trojans averaged 49.1 points a game. Hired at 32 to coach Raiders. Son of college and NFL coach Monte Kiffin. Graduated from high school in Bloomington, Minn. Kiffin was also recruiting coordinator at Southern Cal, which had three consecutive classes ranked No. 1. Reported to be candidate for University of Washington vacancy. Brother Chris is assistant coach at Ole Miss.

Mike Leach

Current status: Ninth year at Texas Tech (74-37)

Alma Mater: Brigham Young.

Background: Born in California, grew up in Wyoming. Influenced by BYU passing game. Was offensive coordinator at Valdosta State and Kentucky for Hal Mumme; also OC at Oklahoma 1999. Did not play football in college. Has a law degree from Pepperdine.

Will Muschamp

Current status: Defensive coordinator at Texas

Alma Mater: Georgia

Background: Georgia native played for the Bulldogs 1991-94. Was defensive coordinator at LSU 2001-04 for Nick Saban. Followed Saban to the Dolphins in 2005, then left to be Auburn’s DC in 2006-07 before moving on to Texas. Rumored to be candidate for Clemson job and for possible Auburn vacancy if Tommy Tuberville leaves.

Gary Patterson

Current status: Ninth year at TCU (71-26)

Alma Mater: Kansas State

Background: Kansas native got his first head coaching job at Texas Christian in 2000 after two years as defensive coordinator, replacing Dennis Franchione. Horned Frogs are 9-1 and on way to a fifth 10-win season under Patterson. Reportedly turned down Minnesota offer in 2007 to stay at TCU. Has been mentioned in Clemson search.

Chris Peterson

Current status: Third year Boise State (31-3)

Alma Mater: UC-Davis

Background: California native has western ties other than 1992 season on University of Pittsburgh staff. Was QB coach at Portland State and receivers coach at Oregon prior to becoming offensive coordinator at Boise State in 2001. Succeeded Dan Hawkins in 2006 and led the Broncos to 13-0 season that year, topped by Fiesta Bowl win over Oklahoma. Boise is undefeated again this year.

Do not count out David Cutliffe at Duke...

Cutliffe would be the most obvious choice. He is truly the secret of Tennessee's success as OC (and at Ole Miss when he was head coach there as well). But it's just his first year at Duke. He would be the most natural fit for TN if he hadn't already left.

Tell me about it! They can still finish in the top 5 and go to the Rose Bowl to face USC! If they could pull that win off no one will disrespect them, that's for sure!

My Early Christmas Present!

rolltide.jpg

Roll Tide

If Alabama can beat Florida, they can win it all but that's going to be very tough! I'd rather see Alabama in the NC game though. Them and Texas Tech would be fine with me though I'm ok with Oklahoma as well.

Florida is going to be tough to beat. If I were a betting man, I would definately bet on Florida the way they've been playing the past few weeks as opposed to Bama who's been doing just enough to "get er done."

Yep, that's what eventually hurt PSU, you have to do more than just get it done. As the season goes on your game has to actually get better and better.

If Alabama can beat Florida, they can win it all but that's going to be very tough! I'd rather see Alabama in the NC game though. Them and Texas Tech would be fine with me though I'm ok with Oklahoma as well.

Not me. I'm tired of seeing Oklahoma go to BCS games just to get beaten again and again. TT is a dose of new blood! Of course, I hear they have lousy fans.

Florida is going to be very tough to beat. I DO NOT want to see Florida in the National Title game, though they seem to be playing best right now. Having only one loss, and that being a blocked PAT (not to mention they had a shot at kicking a long field goal to win it at the end of the game and decided to instead go for it on 4th and 1!) is pretty impressive, and this is coming from a (humbled) Georgia fan.

Oh, I hope Alabama is not in the NT game. I might just have to move. . . If they were to win we would run out of room in the state because of all the Bamers' head swelling. If they lose we will have to put up with years of complaining about bad calls, unfair officials, cheating opponents, and on and on and on and on and on. . .

My Beavers are starting to smell Roses. Two tough games ahead before we get there, but two winnable games.

Ok fellas, this will take some doing, but I am going to chart out the path that my Oklahoma Sooners will take from here to the national title game.

It does look fairly certain at this point that it will end up a team from the SEC (Alabama or Florida) against a team from the Big VII south division (OU).

Step I - So far things have worked out the way we need (all the right relatives have died in the right order). Texas lost to an unbeaten Texas Tech. Texas Tech has remained unbeaten which is important.

Step II – OU will beat Texas Tech (ranked 2nd) this week in Norman. We are 60-2 at home under Stoops. It will be a tough game but we’ve had two weeks to prepare.

Step III – OU may or may not jump Texas in the BCS poll. Which is still ok because the week after we will play and beat OSU (ranked 12th) in the bedlam game. If we were not ahead of Texas already that should put us over the top because Texas only has one game left against a very weak Texas A&M (Baylor 41 – A&M 21).

Step IV – Texas Tech will win their final game against Baylor which will create a three way tie for the south division. Our superior ranking (fueled by the tougher schedule in the last two games) will be the tie breaker and send us to the Big XII championship against Mizzou (ranked 13th).

Step V – We will win the Big XII championship and be headed for Miami where a severely overpowered SEC team will be blown out.

If it all happens that way…..you heard it here first! Boomer Sooner!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back