2008 College Football Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
So did Texas Tech show up? I couldn't tell.
Congratulations on Penn State making it to the Rose Bowl.
My Beavers survived a scare. Now we are hoping that we get Quizz back for the Civil. Nation's 9th leading rusher and probable Frosh of the Year candidate (is there such an award?).
Big time Civil War game next week! If my Beavers win they will make it to the Rose Bowl for the first since '65. I think this time around they will send out a college team instead of a HS team like last time we faced PSU.

I got to watch the PSU game in HD on my new Direct TV set up and loved seeing them dominate. Nothing against Oregon State but I would much rather test ourselves against the mighty USC. Plus we already played the Beavers!

Either way I am happy to win the Big Ten title and earn a shot at finishing way up in the final rankings! I agree that if things stay as is the NC game should be OU vs. Florida. Those two are by far playing the best as of now.

Baylor is beating Texas Tech 21-14 at halftime in Lubbock!
-----Added 11/29/2008 at 05:38:34 EST-----
Baylor leads 28-14 in the 3rd!
-----Added 11/29/2008 at 05:41:39 EST-----
Baylor is beating Texas tech 28-14 in the 3rd!
-----Added 11/29/2008 at 05:54:08 EST-----
Baylor 28-21, tech scored. still 3rd.
Tied in the 4th
Tech takes lead.

Last edited:
I recognize that a rematch with ORST is a lose lose for Penn State. However, if it is a rematch, PSU better watch out because it won't be the same Beaver team they saw earlier this year. The defense is much improved.
I would also like to see USC play a might SEC or Big 12 team instead of beating up on a Big 10 team again. Sorry.

USC doesn't want to play Penn State. You can say it's because they know they'll win but i say only a coward would refuse a battle in sports. I've never heard anything like that said in my life. Also, if Oregon State can beat them, why can't Penn State? That seems to be a bit of a leap.

I was bummed that Alabama couldn't pull it out. Florida has been at the top long enough. Oklahoma will choke (as they do frequently like Ohio State) and a team that might beat Florida (Texas) won't even get a chance even though they beat Oklahoma.

I hate the BCS system.

I hate the BCS system.

:agree:

THIS JUST IN:

BCS DECLARES GERMANY WINNER OF WORLD WAR II - US RANKED #4

After determining the Big-12 championship game participants, the BCS computers were put to work on other major contests and today the BCS declared Germany to be the winner of World War II.

"Germany put together an incredible number of victories beginning with the annexation of Austria and the Sudetenland and continuing on into conference play with defeats of Poland, France, Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Belgium and the Netherlands. Their only losses came against the US and Russia; however considering their entire body of work--including an incredibly tough Strength of Schedule--our computers deemed them worthy of the #1 ranking."

Questioned about the #4 ranking of the United States the BCS commissioner stated "The US only had two major victories--Japan and Germany. The computer models, unlike humans, aren't influenced by head-to-head contests--they consider each contest to be only a single, equally-weighted event."

German Chancellor Adolph Hitler said "Yes, we lost to the US; but we defeated #2 ranked France in only 6 weeks." Herr Hitler has been criticized for seeking dramatic victories to earn 'style points' to enhance Germany's rankings. Hitler protested "Our contest with Poland was in doubt until the final day and the conditions in Norway were incredibly challenging and demanded the application of additional forces."

The French ranking has also come under scrutiny. The BCS commented "France had a single loss against Germany and following a preseason #1 ranking they only fell to #2."

Japan was ranked #3 with victories including Manchuria, Borneo and the Philippines.

Bowls I'm most looking forward to seeing:

1. PSU vs. USC of course, but even for a neutral fan it should be one of the best games. Statistically the teams are almost dead even.

2. Florida vs. Oklahoma - I think OU wins a close shoot-out.

3. Texas vs. OSU - intriguing match-up of clashing styles.

4. Northwestern vs. Mizzou - this should be a very entertaining game.

5. Georgia Tech vs. LSU - can LSU stop Tech's high-power running game?

The answer to that question is most likely "no." LSU couldn't stop much of anything this year; the triple-option is probably going to be too much to ask.

Sigh. I remember when Paul Johnson was the head coach at Georgia Southern. Best ground attack in the country and two 1-AA national titles to show for it (should have been three). Those were the days.

[video=youtube;eJX-H7Fn3h0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJX-H7Fn3h0[/video]

-----Added 12/15/2008 at 10:43:30 EST-----

Sorry, I can't resist mentioning Georgia Southern football without including this video featuring THE REAL Adrian Peterson (the original one, anyway).

[video=youtube;hp_ABmN-sMU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hp_ABmN-sMU[/video]

These are the career stats for AP (all 1-AA records): 6,559 yards, an average of 156.2 yards per game; 84 rushing TD; 100 or more yards rushing in 36 straight games, with a final total of 40 for his career (out of 42 total games played).

BTW, when you see Peterson cutting through those red clad players about halfway through, keep in mind that's a Jim Tressel-coached Youngtown State team that GSU embarrassed in the 1999 1-AA championship game. And, yes, Paul Johnson was coaching GSU at the time.

Hmmm ... Paul Johnson v. Jim Tressel could it happen one day at the 1-A level?

The Heisman was a tough race, I think many of the top candidates we're deserving. Voters seem to all have Oklahoma fever now though.

The answer to that question is most likely "no." LSU couldn't stop much of anything this year; the triple-option is probably going to be too much to ask.

Sigh. I remember when Paul Johnson was the head coach at Georgia Southern. Best ground attack in the country and two 1-AA national titles to show for it (should have been three). Those were the days.

-----Added 12/15/2008 at 10:43:30 EST-----

Sorry, I can't resist mentioning Georgia Southern football without including this video featuring THE REAL Adrian Peterson (the original one, anyway).

These are the career stats for AP (all 1-AA records): 6,559 yards, an average of 156.2 yards per game; 84 rushing TD; 100 or more yards rushing in 36 straight games, with a final total of 40 for his career (out of 42 total games played).

BTW, when you see Peterson cutting through those red clad players about halfway through, keep in mind that's a Jim Tressel-coached Youngtown State team that GSU embarrassed in the 1999 1-AA championship game. And, yes, Paul Johnson was coaching GSU at the time.

Hmmm ... Paul Johnson v. Jim Tressel could it happen one day at the 1-A level?

Did you go to GSU?

-----Added 12/16/2008 at 08:48:01 EST-----

Well, I didn't have much to cheer about this year.

I do look forward to next year to see what Kiffin and Kiffin are going to bring to Tennessee. Spurrier will be talking b/c we took his best recruiter that happens to be Lane's brother in law.

What defensive player wouldn't want to come to the elder Kiffin's defense to get ready for the NFL?

2. Florida vs. Oklahoma - I think OU wins a close shoot-out.

I have to go with you on this one !! Any comments about the way the Heisman race turned out ?? :worms:

I don't have a problem with Bradford, but did anyone mean more to their team than Tebow? I'm not a huge Florida fan and the Saint Tebow hype is a little annoying, but in terms of what he means to his team (running, passing, leadership) Tebow would get my vote. Followed by McCoy, then Bradford. But again, I have nothing against Bradford - very good QB, seems like a nice kid, the whole bit...

Did you go to GSU?

Well, I didn't have much to cheer about this year.

Indeed, I am a GSU graduate (actually, two degrees). I was there for a couple of those 1-AA championship games in Chattanooga.

If you makes you feel any better, we haven't had much to cheer about since Johnson left GSU either.

As much as I hate to admit it, USC is the best team in the country. Sanchez was absolutely on fire yesterday - I don't think any team in the country could have stopped him in the 2nd quarter. I was proud of PSU for fighting and playing hard to the end. Two key plays in the first half (the Maybin penalty, the Green fumble) really changed the game. Still, it was a great Fall for Penn State football. Already looking forward to next season.

240 days till kickoff in Happy Valley...

PSU racked up more yards against the "mighty" USC defense than anyone (over 400) and if not for a few mistakes (especially the ones you mentioned) it might have been a different game.

PSU racked up more yards against the "mighty" USC defense than anyone (over 400) and if not for a few mistakes (especially the ones you mentioned) it might have been a different game.

If, if, if. Coulda, shoulda, woulda. If Tyson woulda had a cut man with an end swell in his corner in Tokyo and hadn't fired his trainer, manager etc. he probably wouldn't have lost to Buster Douglas. If only Boston hadn't sold the Babe to the Yankees in 1918. If Hagler wouldn't have clowned around in the first two rounds apparently assuming he'd eventually overwhelm Leonard he wouldn't have lost the split decision. Etc. etc.

If Vinny Testaverde wouldn't have thrown 5 interceptions and Miami committed 7 turnovers overall, the [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987_Fiesta_Bowl"]1987 Fiesta Bowl[/ame] would have been a different game too since Miami had 445 yards to PSU's 162 and had 22 first downs compared to PSU's 8. Sorry, Adam, I couldn't resist :lol: (I actually went for PSU in the 1987 game, but just wanted to make a point.) :)

I just think that while USC is great, they aren't as awesome as everyone else feels but deserve credit for beating PSU. Now that said, what would happen if those boys had played in Happy Valley in the 26 degree temp? in my opinion it's not really football if you never have to play in the COLD, you know, football weather!

If, if, if. Coulda, shoulda, woulda. If Tyson woulda had a cut man with an end swell in his corner in Tokyo and hadn't fired his trainer, manager etc. he probably wouldn't have lost to Buster Douglas. If only Boston hadn't sold the Babe to the Yankees in 1918. If Hagler wouldn't have clowned around in the first two rounds apparently assuming he'd eventually overwhelm Leonard he wouldn't have lost the split decision. Etc. etc.

If Vinny Testaverde wouldn't have thrown 5 interceptions and Miami committed 7 turnovers overall, the [ame="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1987_Fiesta_Bowl"]1987 Fiesta Bowl[/ame] would have been a different game too since Miami had 445 yards to PSU's 162 and had 22 first downs compared to PSU's 8. Sorry, Adam, I couldn't resist :lol: (I actually went for PSU in the 1987 game, but just wanted to make a point.) :)

The point is PSU wasn't as outmatched as the halftime score, and especially the final score indicate. USC was better, simple as that. But without some costly mistakes it could have been a great game.

The point is PSU wasn't as outmatched as the halftime score, and especially the final score indicate. USC was better, simple as that. But without some costly mistakes it could have been a great game.

No doubt. I just like having a little fun with Adam from time to time since he is such a big PSU fan. :)

As someone who grew up watching the New Orleans Saints, I'm very familiar with watching teams snatch defeat from the jaws of victory. The "coulda, shoulda, woulda" terminology is from one of Jim Mora's famous post game tirades. Instead of being right before a firing, that one came right before 9 consecutive victories in 1987 before they blew it in the playoffs.

Whoa, what in the world is wrong with Alabama?

No kidding. The SEC has been absolutely on fire winning bowl games this post season (with the Ol' Ball Coach, fittingly In my humble opinion, being the lone loss after SC gets drilled by Iowa, which will apparently be the only Big Ten win this bowl season), and now Bama is going to drop the ball against a team that shouldn't be able to match up to them. But that's why you play the games.

Whoa, what in the world is wrong with Alabama?

They are living up to their weakness this year: No depth on the O line, and a second rank secondary. They've been living with this weak underbelly all season and it was pierced tonight. I'm no Bama fan, but I respect them.

But, now I have to put up with months of Bammers make all sorts of excuses and whining like babes.

No whining here. We just got our butts kicked. Would have been nice to have had Andre on the Line. It might have NOT have made the difference but it sure would have helped.

To be honest, Utah and Alabama both looked like high school teams compared to USC...and even PSU for that matter. I've always been a big fan of the BCS, but this season has opened my eyes to the need for a playoff. Based on bowl results, I'm not convinced the real national championship wasn't the Rose Bowl...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back