2010 Olympic Men's Hockey (and Woman's)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tellville

Puritan Board Junior
Just want to have a thread dedicated to hockey at this year's winter Olympics in Vancouver. I'm nervous that team Canada may be a little slow due to the greater use of some veterans and I don't really like our goalies. The only one I really like is Brodeur but he is getting a little old. I am personally worried about the Russian team and the younger faster USA team though there are quite a few other teams that will give Canada a run for its money.

Woman's hockey is a bit of a joke because only team Canada and USA are really any good. Sweden is ok and they upset the USA at the last Olympics, and Finland and Russia have some skill too, but in reality, it's like the Eastern and Western All Stars of the NFL going against second tier NCAA football teams.

Anyway:

Go Canada Go!!

View attachment 1684

I'm sorry. I watched the 1980 "Miracle on Ice" when a bunch of college kids beat up on the Soviet Red Army team and later bested Finland for the Gold Medal. That was real hockey.

Men's Olympic hockey is now a nationalized version of the NHL All Star game. I have a real problem with professional athletes in the Olympics. It's a scam in my opinion.

I'm sorry. I watched the 1980 "Miracle on Ice" when a bunch of college kids beat up on the Soviet Red Army team and later bested Finland for the Gold Medal. That was real hockey.

Men's Olympic hockey is now a nationalized version of the NHL All Star game. I have a real problem with professional athletes in the Olympics. It's a scam in my opinion.

I'm sympathetic with your view, but the problem was that the Soviet Red Army team wasn't composed of military men playing hockey on the side, rather they were professionals being paid a living wage to play hockey.

I'm sympathetic with your view, but the problem was that the Soviet Red Army team wasn't composed of military men playing hockey on the side, rather they were professionals being paid a living wage to play hockey.

Exactly, everyone knew they were pros (it walked like a duck) and it was great to see a bunch of amateur kids with no real ice time together beat the snot out of them.

Where is the thrill in watching one branch of the NHL beat another branch of the NHL?

I don't see the problem with allowing professionals in for team sports like Hockey. Why would you want to watch a bunch of hacks, who aren't good enough to get into the NHL, skating around? You can see that in any town here in Canada. But if you want to watch the best, you go to an NHL game. If you want the best in the Olympics, you let the NHL players play.

Of course if you don't care for professional hockey players in the games, not to worry - Gary Bettman is seriously considering not allowing the NHL players to compete in the 2014 Olympics anyway.

Last edited:
Being an American (and happy about it),I was so thrilled to see such great Hockey throughout the Olympics,it was such a great game I didnt mind having my team lose and it is great to see a team and country who loves Hockey get what it deserves.without you we would have no hockey at all.as your anthem says may "God keep (your) land glorious and free"

I enjoyed the Olympics. I'm actually glad Canada won the gold in hockey because it means so much to them, but I must say...I find hockey utterly boring.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back