2011 MLB Season

Status
Not open for further replies.
Braves fan here... I think if we put it together we can beat the Phillies. its a long season and just 30 games into it... long way to go. as for the Mariners how are you liking Justin Smoak? He's about to make all the Rangers fan angry that they traded him.

Braves fan here... I think if we put it together we can beat the Phillies. its a long season and just 30 games into it... long way to go. as for the Mariners how are you liking Justin Smoak? He's about to make all the Rangers fan angry that they traded him.

I'm loving the guy. The Mariners started off aweful, but we just swept the Tigers and won 2 out of 3 against the Red Sox. So things are starting to pick up. Now we face the Rangers, which are very good.

How 'bout them Indians. I never thought we would be doing this well. Lets hope this keeps until, at least, the All Star game. Go Tribe!

How 'bout them Indians. I never thought we would be doing this well. Lets hope this keeps until, at least, the All Star game. Go Tribe!

I'm surprised with their standing right now too. Let's hope they keep it up, it's about time they don't stay at the bottom with the royals.

Congrats to Francisco Liriano for throwing the first no-hitter of 2011!! :applause:

He walked 6 and struck out only 2 but still got the job done as the Twins beat the White Sox 1-0.

Go Braves!

Atlanta_Braves.jpg

And just for Benjamin:

sid_bream.jpg

WHERE WERE YOU WHEN SID SLID?? :)

I was 15 yrs old in a trailer in rural Mississippi, up late glued to the TV and on the phone with family. It seemed I was as nervous as I had ever been in my life to that point. When Sid slid we were all screaming and jumping up and down on the couch in ecstasy. Baseball is something magical at that age.

That was such an improbably series (the 1992 NLCS). That game 7 was Bonds' last time in a Pirates uniform. I remember John Smoltz dominating an early game in the series after being in elbow pain and going in for a cortisone shot that day. The Braves had a 3-1 series lead, but the Pirates came back, thanks primarily to the emergence of Tim Wakefield and his knuckleball, along with Bob Walk pitching perhaps the greatest game in his career. The Braves beat the Pirates' best pitcher (Doug Drabek) three times in that series. And they were aided in that 9th inning winning in game 7 because the Pirates' best infielder, Gold Glover Chico Lind, committed a rare error.

Ah, memories.

Here are the two winning calls from that game, the first by CBS announcer Sean McDonough and the second by Braves' announcer Skip Caray:

And now the Braves’ season hangs in the balance as Francisco Cabrera comes to the plate to bat for the pitcher. He appeared in only twelve games this year for the Braves. He doesn't walk much, he walked only seventeen times in 300 at-bats in Triple-A this year. He hacked at the 2–0 now the 2–1. Line drive and a base hit! Justice has scored the tying run. Bream to the plate...and he is, SAFE! SAFE AT THE PLATE! The Braves go to the World Series! The unlikeliest of heroes wins the National League Championship Series for the Atlanta Braves. Francisco Cabrera, who had only ten at-bats in the major leagues during the regular season, singled through the left side, scoring Sid Bream from second base with the winning run. Bream, who's had five knee operations in his lifetime, just beat the tag from his ex-mate Mike LaValliere, and Atlanta pulls out Game 7 with three runs in the bottom of the ninth inning. This place is bedlam. There will be no second nightmare for Bobby Cox. The final score in Game 7 of the National League Championship Series: the Braves 3 and the Pirates 2.

Two balls, one strike. What tension! The runners lead. A lotta room in right-center, if he hits one there, we can dance in the streets. The two-one. Swung, line drive left field! One run is in! Here comes Bream! Here's the throw to the plate! He is...SAFE! BRAVES WIN! BRAVES WIN! BRAVES WIN! BRAVES WIN! BRAVES WIN! They may have to hospitalize Sid Bream. He's down at the bottom of a huge pile at the plate. They help him to his feet. Frank Cabrera got the game-winner! The Atlanta Braves are National League champions again! This crowd has gone berserk, listen! Meanwhile, Barry Bonds is just now walking off the field. Andy Van Slyke is sitting on his glove in center field in shock. The Braves came from two runs down in the ninth, and with two outs Francisco Cabrera got the hit that won Atlanta the game, a two-run single to left! What a ballgame!

That was such an improbably series (the 1992 NLCS). That game 7 was Bonds' last time in a Pirates uniform. I remember John Smoltz dominating an early game in the series after being in elbow pain and going in for a cortisone shot that day. The Braves had a 3-1 series lead, but the Pirates came back, thanks primarily to the emergence of Tim Wakefield and his knuckleball, along with Bob Walk pitching perhaps the greatest game in his career. The Braves beat the Pirates' best pitcher (Doug Drabek) three times in that series. And they were aided in that 9th inning winning in game 7 because the Pirates' best infielder, Gold Glover Chico Lind, committed a rare error.

Ah, memories.

And just for Benjamin:

sid_bream.jpg

I was in elementary school, I think, so that explains my confusion when I saw this picture and wondered what was our Sid Bream doing playing AGAINST the Pirates. And beating them? I wish players stayed where they belong : )
I think it's Sid Bream who had kids that played baseball with my husband when he was little.

Sad to hear of Harmon Killebrew's death today. He was one heck of a ball player. I was friends with one of his nephews growing up. I know he will be missed greatly.

HK was a great slugger. He achieved his HOF credentials without the use of PEDs. A generation from now the generation preceding the McGwire's and Canseco's will be truly appreciated for what they accomplished.

sent from my most excellent Motorola Atrix.

I'm not a big fan of Interleague play but, I have to admit, watching the Cubs and Red Sox play this weekend was pretty cool.

---------- Post added at 03:54 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:53 PM ----------

And the Mariners are finally doing a little better!

I like interleague, has given me a chance to see greats in the NL that otherwise I wouldn't have unless I went to a NL city.

Wish it was a little more balanced, heard today that the Dodgers still haven't played at Yankee Stadium since the 1981 World Series.

The last time the Pirates had a winning season I was less than a year old...if they can keep this up I will be shocked. Never in my time watching the Buccos have I even seen them be competitive!

The Mariners are actually doing decent this year (at least better than they were last year at this time).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back