2016 Olympics

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnny

Puritan Board Sophomore
Wow, it's started already.

Just watching the opening ceremony and it's pretty spectacular.
I find it hard to watch these opening ceremonies, with the celebrate diversity message.
Now they are harping on about climate change, what next I wonder.

Hasn't finished yet but I'm already over it, bring on the athletes please...

...the celebrate diversity message.

What about this message is troubling to you? Is not diversity something to be celebrated? I wonder if there is something about the Olympics' particular version of this message that is bothering you.

I ask this in sincere curiosity.

No. Not all cultures and belief systems are of equal merit.

That's the reason I wondered about the specifics of the message presented at the olympics. Of course, I certainly do not believe all ideas are of equal value or merit. However, I do believe that, as Christians, there are many things to be gained from believers of other times and lands. I can learn and have learned much, for example, from a north African bishop from the 4th Century. That is the diversity of which I speak, which is certainly something I celebrate. When I speak of diversity, I do not speak of secular, pluralistic syncretism.

I do understand that men who are pretending to be women will be allowed to compete as women, subject to some sort of blood test that will make sure there is sufficient estrogen in their bloodstream or something like that.

Women who think they are men are being allowed to compete as men, no blood testing required.

So it is pretty hard to get enthusiastic this year. I am still encouraged by the regular athletes, and understand the USA got their first gold in a women's shooting competition, by an actual teenage girl - so good on her.

Wow, and I was just fooling. They didn't waste any time on that front, did they? Its completely unfair. Maybe estrogen changes musculature, but I'd think a male athlete, who's conditioned as a man, would have more strength, regardless of his testosterone levels. That's just me and my twelfth grade education talking.

Of course the men who take hormones will still have a physical advantage over actual women and I see it as the end of sporting competition as we know it. Between that and doping, it is hard to get enthusiastic.

No. Not all cultures and belief systems are of equal merit.

That's the reason I wondered about the specifics of the message presented at the olympics. Of course, I certainly do not believe all ideas are of equal value or merit. However, I do believe that, as Christians, there are many things to be gained from believers of other times and lands. I can learn and have learned much, for example, from a north African bishop from the 4th Century. That is the diversity of which I speak, which is certainly something I celebrate. When I speak of diversity, I do not speak of secular, pluralistic syncretism.

The "celebrate diversity" message was used as a catchphrase by the Australian reporters who were explaining the symbolism of the Olympic ceremony (like a voiceover) It came on during the rave section when everyone was disco dancing, in other words, celebrate LGBT agenda.

Saving the environment is a similar loaded gun, it is a vehicle used by the global elite who control most of the worlds current media outlets. They write the scripts for these mass media events.

The "celebrate diversity" message was used as a catchphrase by the Australian reporters who were explaining the symbolism of the Olympic ceremony (like a voiceover) It came on during the rave section when everyone was disco dancing, in other words, celebrate LGBT agenda.

Saving the environment is a similar loaded gun, it is a vehicle used by the global elite who control most of the worlds current media outlets. They write the scripts for these mass media events.

That's what I figured. My question was about diversity of a far different (and biblical) stripe.

Protests, robberies, someone shot dead, riot type police, tear gass and all in a city overlooked by a giant "supposed" statue of Jesus. Classic!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back