2017 College Football Pick-Em Grand Pooh-Bah Transition

Status
Not open for further replies.

toddpedlar

Iron Dramatist
Good day all -

Thanks to Pastor Glaser for his work on the 2017 Pick-Em; after putting our heads together, the last three Grand Pooh-Bahs of College Football Pick-Em have decided (for better or for worse) that I shall take over as the organizer for this year's contest. Two duties I have for this evening:

First, I'll set up Week 7 picks so that we're able to get going on this weekend's contests.

And second, I'll check the past weeks' contests and assign any weekly winners that haven't been assigned.

For the purpose of reference, here is the way I'm going to be running the show from here on out.

1) We will have 12 weekly games in order to spread out our results a little and not to have to rely so much on the tie breaker

2) The tie-breaking procedure will be as follows, as I believe I did when I last ran the show:

All Twelve Games (including the one listed as the tiebreaker game) will be used and scored for all participants.

If at the end of the scoring, two or more are tied, we will consult the tie-break game.

2A) If only one person correctly picked the winner of the tie-break game, the contest is over and he or she wins.

2B) If there are two or more who correctly picked the winner, the following will be computed:

DiffTot: Difference of the predicted point total (PTot) from the actual point total (ATot), and
DiffMarg: Difference of the predicted margin (PMarg) from the actual margin (AMarg).

It's important that the best prediction both get the total and the margin correct... so I combine these differences like Pythagoras would, to reward the best combination:

Difference = Square Root (DiffTot^2 + DiffMarg^2).

This will almost never be the same for two people, unless they chose the same exact scores.

If there are two or more tied, I will then perform the following checks:

2C) Number of correct picks of games in which the two teams are both in the top 25.

2D) Number of correct picks of games in which ONE team is in the top 25.

If these yield contestants who are still tied, I will do the following:

2E) Number of correctly picked games in which ONE team is in the top 25, and the unranked team won.

and finally

2F) Number of correctly picked games in which BOTH teams are in the top 25, and the lower ranked team won.

Once this is done, if there are still two or more tied for the lead, each will be declared a winner.

More complicated that what I used for the tiebreaker. What I had secretly decided (and never had to use) was if multiple folks got past step 2B) above, first to pick the score was going to be the winner.

Salute to Todd for being willing to put more work into than I was.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back