2018 Market-Share of Bible Translations

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to the Evangelical Christian Book Association, these are the bestselling Bible translations of 2018.

http://christianbookexpo.com/bestseller/translations.php?id=BO18

1 New International Version
2 King James Version
3 New Living Translation
4 English Standard Version
5 Christian Standard Bible
6 New King James Version
7 Reina Valera
8 New International Reader's Version
9 The Message
10 New American Standard Bible

According to the Evangelical Christian Book Association, these are the bestselling Bible translations of 2018.

http://christianbookexpo.com/bestseller/translations.php?id=BO18

1 New International Version
2 King James Version
3 New Living Translation
4 English Standard Version
5 Christian Standard Bible
6 New King James Version
7 Reina Valera
8 New International Reader's Version
9 The Message
10 New American Standard Bible

Pretty close to the list I found, except this one includes the Spanish translation from 1960. Also, the NASB gets even less love on this list.

Pretty close to the list I found, except this one includes the Spanish translation from 1960. Also, the NASB gets even less love on this list.
Both lists are interesting, as shows that the KJV and NKJV still get much love, and that the Esv and the Csb seem to be pretty much dead even, despite big marketing effort to make the Esv the standard Christian bible for today.

It's amazing to see that less than 10 percent of Bibles sold in America are ESV, which is what most people I know use. I suppose this helps to show me that Christianity is so much bigger than I thought.

The NLT (2015 Translation) as commentary:

1 John 2:2 (KJV)
2 And he is the propitiation for our sins: and not for ours only, but also for the sins of the whole world.

1 John 2:2 (NLT)
2 He himself is the sacrifice that atones for our sins—and not only our sins but the sins of all the world.​

2 Kings 2:23-24 (KJV)
23 And he went up from thence unto Bethel: and as he was going up by the way, there came forth little children out of the city, and mocked him, and said unto him, Go up, thou bald head; go up, thou bald head.

24 And he turned back, and looked on them, and cursed them in the name of the Lord. And there came forth two she bears out of the wood, and tare forty and two children of them.

2 Kings 2:23-24 (NLT)
23 Elisha left Jericho and went up to Bethel. As he was walking along the road, a group of boys from the town began mocking and making fun of him. “Go away, baldy!” they chanted. “Go away, baldy!”

24 Elisha turned around and looked at them, and he cursed them in the name of the Lord. Then two bears came out of the woods and mauled forty-two of them.

Deuteronomy 32:14-15 (KJV)
14 Butter of kine, and milk of sheep, with fat of lambs, and rams of the breed of Bashan, and goats, with the fat of kidneys of wheat; and thou didst drink the pure blood of the grape.

15 But Jeshurun waxed fat, and kicked: thou art waxen fat, thou art grown thick, thou art covered with fatness; then he forsook God which made him, and lightly esteemed the Rock of his salvation.

Deuteronomy 32:14-15 (NLT)
14 He fed them yogurt from the herd
and milk from the flock,
together with the fat of lambs.
He gave them choice rams from Bashan, and goats,
together with the choicest wheat.
You drank the finest wine,
made from the juice of grapes.

15 “But Israel[a] soon became fat and unruly;
the people grew heavy, plump, and stuffed!
Then they abandoned the God who had made them;
they made light of the Rock of their salvation.​

Next time someone asks about the availability of a poor man's single volume Bible commentary point them here:
ps://www.amazon.com/Peoples-Parallel-Bible-KJV-NLT-ebook/dp/B01EB92P4E

;)

AMR

It's amazing to see that less than 10 percent of Bibles sold in America are ESV, which is what most people I know use. I suppose this helps to show me that Christianity is so much bigger than I thought.
The Esv is said to be the Reformed/Calvinistic version, while the Nas is the one for Baptists...

The ESV is said to be the Reformed/Calvinistic version, while the Nas is the one for Baptists...
I'm only speculating, but I would think anyone who would say that the ESV is 'The' Calvinist's Bible is trying to sell ESVs. It is a very readable translation, but where the NKJV, and the NASB bracket verses, the ESV, much like the NIV, either places them in footnotes, or omits them entirely.

I'm a fan of the NKJV, and have been for some time, to the extent that I proposed our congregation replace our worn 1984 NIV pew Bibles with new NKJV copies. I looked into it and found that, while you can get case lots of ESV on sale reasonably priced, the NKJV pew Bibles are quite a bit more pricey. Take into account that we need the large print hardback version for whichever we choose.

Did you check www.Biblesbythecase.com? We were in need of large print Bibles recently, and that proved to be the most economical way to acquire them.

Did you check www.Biblesbythecase.com? We were in need of large print Bibles recently, and that proved to be the most economical way to acquire them.
Thanks Reuben, I'm reasonably sure that I did, but my memory of it must be faulty. Checking this morning I see the ESV large print pew Bible is more expensive per case, by a few dollars, than the NKJV. I remembered it as being the other way round.

this year I purchased three new Bibles. Two were King James and the third was New King James. I don't see the point of changing translations now after reading the King James for 20 years.

Last edited:
This is very interesting. My new employer publishes children's Sunday school materials and we support the NIV 1984 as our main version, and maintain compatability with the KJV. If you also count the NKJV, in supporting these two/three translations, we cover 70% of our customer base.

I ran across this interesting study by the Center for the Study of Religion and American Culture. There was a review by the Gospel Coalition.

From the review:

"The Background: ”The Bible in American Life” is a national study by the Center for the Study of Religion and American Culture. The purpose of the study is to understand better how Americans use the Bible in their personal daily lives and how other influences, including religious communities and the Internet, shape individuals’ use of scripture."

"Some of the more interesting findings from the report include...

Despite the proliferation of Bible translations, the King James Version is the top choice—and by a wide margin—of Bible readers.

• Among Bible readers, 31% read it on the Internet and 22% use e-devices."

So, people buy more NIVs than KJVs, but they read more KJV than NIV by far, and many of them do it electronically.

Numbers of books sold is becoming less relevant as more of us read from our devices.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back