2020 Puritan Bowl College Football Pick'em - pre-season thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Edward

Puritanboard Commissioner
I know we are all disappointed by the cancellation of some of the regional matchups we were looking forward to. (To which we were looking forward, as the English prof might say). Like Georgia vs East Tennessee State and Alabama vs Tennesssee Martin. And, of course, Auburn vs. Alcorn. But Notre Dame's ACC schedule looks intact.

In any event, it looks like the contest will go forward even as revised schedules will make things .... interesting. Look forward to the usual crew (and some new participants) joining in in a few weeks. And the average quality of the games may actually improve.

I heard the NCAA decided to do away with tackling this year due to COVID fears and will play a shortened season of virtual flag football instead.

I'd never admit this over on the DawgNation forum but a college football season sounds crazy under the current conditions.

I heard the NCAA decided to do away with tackling this year due to COVID fears and will play a shortened season of virtual flag football instead.
The way things were headed with the perpetual concussion protocols and rule changes, it almost seems this is inevitable with or without COVID.

In my opinion...not that it matters... the rival games should be held first in the rewritten schedules.
1. Much closer and in many cases in state. This reduces travel and in many cases overnight stays.
2. If the season is cancelled, at least we get to see some meaningful games
3. Gonna bring the most bang for the buck in revenue for all involved.
4. I get a chance to see the Egg bowl and see the two crazy coaches go at it. And Ole Miss lose...

I get a chance to see the Egg bowl and see the two crazy coaches go at it. And Ole Miss lose...

I went to an Egg bowl back when they still held them in Jackson. I think they are home and home these days. About the only thing I remember was the loud booing from the stands when certain state officials were introduced.

I am a life long college football fan but I do not think that they should playing this year as there is just too much risk. What happens if half your team gets Covid? Can you still play the game or will the team have to forfeit a game?

What happens if half your team gets Covid? Can you still play the game or will the team have to forfeit a game?

That's certainly one of the problems with the SEC starting so late. If they had started earlier, they could have built in more opportunities to re-schedule games if needed. And I'm not sure how I see a greater risk to the Georgia team in playing a home game against a team from Johnson City, TN than there is in traveling to Missouri for a conference game (presuming the new schedule is based off of the existing one).

It does appear at this point that Justin Fields made a bad career move when he transfered from the SEC to the Big 10

Prediction: COVID takes all. Actually, misinformation and fear surrounding COVID takes all.

Prediction: COVID takes all. Actually, misinformation and fear surrounding COVID takes all.

Still a possibility. I'm still counting on the SEC and the expanded ACC. And hoping for the Big12.

Then filling out with whatever else is available. Maybe the Big12 can do some poaching and get up to 12 teams.

In any event, fewer garbage games this year, although I was looking forward to the Georgia - East Tennessee State matchup.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back