25 GB free Skydrive upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

VictorBravo

Administrator
Staff member
If you have used Microsoft SkyDrive any time in the past before last April 22, for a limited time you can get a free upgrade to 25GB of cloud storage.

Take advantage of limited time SkyDrive loyalty offer from Microsoft | TechRepublic

I was able to do it because back in 2010 I opened an account so I could share some big files. Then I forgot all about it. It's Microsoft's answer to Dropbox.

A little clunky, maybe, but a free 25 GB of storage comes in handy.

Outstanding! Thanks for the 'heads up.' Just finished the upgrade. Had to use my wife's account -- mine was started this year, so only 7Gb for me.

Sweet! I've been using Skydrive to sync stuff between work and home. I have a 15.5 GB Dropbox account too so I've got an embarrassment of free storage.

Thanks for posting this, Vic!

Until I clicked the link I was puzzled since I was pretty sure it was already 25GB. But I see that they are downgrading the free service and that you have to "upgrade" to keep what you already have. Whether or not they were going to send an email letting users know about the change is anybody's guess. I would think they would eventually do that but I haven't received one up to this point. Hopefully they don't also do something like downgrade Hotmail to where you have to go back to paying in order to have POP access. Maybe they are trying to generate some revenue with this move. Also, most people probably do not use the service very much. Some have guessed that Yahoo has never gotten rid of Yahoo Mail Plus because they don't want to lose the revenue it generates.

I've never used Dropbox but I agree Sky Drive is a bit clunky. I haven't used it in a year or so but I seem to recall it being particularly clunky when trying to use folders. But the price is right! The last time I checked, the Drag and Drop feature only works with Internet Explorer, but If I recall correctly that seemed to make it a lot easier.

I've got a lot of theological documents I need to upload to SkyDrive or something similar. I don't know where I downloaded many of them from and I'd kick myself if I were to ever lose access to them via some kind of drive failure.

Thank you for this. Now, I can consolidate all my files to one location. Thank you, thank you, thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back