25% Off All Printed Books for Black Friday

Status
Not open for further replies.

C. Matthew McMahon

Christian Preacher
25OffBlackFridayLulu2019.png

Greetings all.

The printer has 25% off all printed Reformed and Puritan books for today until midnight; Offer Expires November 29th at 11:59 PM EST.
Promo Code: BLACKFRIDAY25 at checkout at our Spotlight Page.

Matthew, you have two brief works on covenant baptism produced by Puritan Publications "Primitive Baptism and Therein Infant’s and Parent’s Rights" by Matthew Sylvester and "Infant Baptism God's Ordinance" by Michael Harrison. Do you regard one in particular as especially important, particularly helping someone from a reformed Baptist background or would you say both are equally important? Or, is there another work even more important for someone who has previously subscribed to the 1689 Baptist Confession? Thanks.

Harrison's work is quite good. Its the best concise work I would recommend.

Sylvester's work is different in that he sets up hermeneutical principles first.

But Harrison is more of a complete overview.

Sylvester's work is different in that he sets up hermeneutical principles first.
Thank you. One of the reasons the book by Matthew Sylvester caught my attention was the comments on your publishing page that he dealt with both hermeneutics and also issues such as household baptisms. When I was younger I was strongly influenced by Fred Malone's book "The baptism of disciples alone" where he argues for a baptist hermeneutic and also a baptist understanding of household baptisms. Thus I was wondering if this book by Matthew Sylvester was a good response to the teaching promoted by such Baptist leaders as Fred Malone?

Thank you. One of the reasons the book by Matthew Sylvester caught my attention was the comments on your publishing page that he dealt with both hermeneutics and also issues such as household baptisms. When I was younger I was strongly influenced by Fred Malone's book "The baptism of disciples alone" where he argues for a baptist hermeneutic and also a baptist understanding of household baptisms. Thus I was wondering if this book by Matthew Sylvester was a good response to the teaching promoted by such Baptist leaders as Fred Malone?

Sylvester deals quite faithfully with the hebraisms of "household" (briefly), and with hermeneutical issues of interpretation (briefly). But I wouldn't say he is not out to "refute" Malone's ideas. That's really not the intent of the book. I think once people grasp the household and interpretive method, and Sylvester's points, Malone really doesn't even need to be refuted, but rather rejected.

Sylvester deals quite faithfully with the hebraisms of "household" (briefly), and with hermeneutical issues of interpretation (briefly). But I wouldn't say he is not out to "refute" Malone's ideas. That's really not the intent of the book. I think once people grasp the household and interpretive method, and Sylvester's points, Malone really doesn't even need to be refuted, but rather rejected.
Thank you Matthew. I did a rethink on books on Covenant Theology and Baptism, and considered the best book for my circumstances would probably be "A Discourse on Covenant Theology and Infant Baptism" by Cuthbert Sydenham. I got that. I decided to also get "The Wells of Salvation Opened" by William Spurstowe.

It is quite expensive getting books to my country but the 25% discount was a great help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back