3 Views on the Rapture (Archer, Moo, Feinberg)

Status
Not open for further replies.

RamistThomist

Puritanboard Clerk
Moo, Douglas., Archer, Gleason., Feinberg, Charles. Three Views on the Rapture.

Though the book is dated (pre-wrath has replaced mid-tribulationism), it remains valuable for a number of reasons. Reiter’s essay on the development of American premillennialism is worth the price of the book. Many have a tendency to lump all premils as rednecks who are looking for the Red Heifer. But what Reiter shows is that early premillennials were aware of difficulties in the system, and they tried to fix them.

Feinberg gives the standard pre-tribulational argument. Key argument: God has not only exempted the church from God’s wrath, but from the season of God’s wrath (Feinberg 58, 63). Feinberg’s key argument is that Revelation 3:10 means that God will keep the church out of the tribulation.

He further claims there must be an interval of time between the Rapture and the 2 Coming (72). The Millennium has nonglorified bodies. And since all wicked will be immediately judged in the Second Coming (Matt. 25:31-46), then there must be a category of saved yet nonglorified bodies?

Response: Douglas Moo

The most fatal argument is that the martyred saints in Revelation 6 are asking God when his wrath will begin? This implies it hasn’t happened yet. Therefore, the time of Tribulation is not totally a time of wrath.

Response: Gleason Archer

Feinberg admits that the Day of the Lord referred to in 2 Thess. 2:3-4 does not start until the middle of the week (Feinberg 61). This is very close to pre-wrath.

Douglas Moo gives the post-trib argument, and since it is relatively familiar to American evangelicals, I will focus on Gleason Archer’s mid-tribulational view. It never gained much ground and has since been replaced by pre-wrath.

The Case for the Mid-Seventieth Week Rapture

The rapture will precede the second advent of Christ. So far that sounds like pre-trib, but there are a few differences. Archer places the rapture in the middle of Daniel’s 70th week.

Rider on the White Horse in Revelation 19. This is the big weakness of post-tribulationism. Where do these saints come from (Archer 120). These saints appear to have already been “clothed” (2 Cor. 5:2; 1 John 3:2).

Two phases of the Parousia (cf. response to Moo, 213ff). There is no hint of apocalyptic struggle in the primary rapture passage (1 Thess. 4:13-18). In verse 14 it says “God will bring with him those who have fallen asleep through (dia) Christ Jesus.” Those who have died in Christ will not be raised until the rapture (214). They will not accompany the Lord in his descent without their resurrected bodies.

Conclusion

So who won? Not really anyone. Feinberg made a few good points, but his church/israel dichotomy hamstrung his whole project. Moo’s responses were fairly good but post-trib is just so complex that I can’t follow him. Archer’s placing the rapture midway through the 70th week is interesting, if a bit arbitrary. I think Alan Kurschner’s recent teaching on pre-wrath holds more promise.

Pre-wrath is fairly simple among premillennial schemes. The church will be in the Great Tribulation (thlipsis megale), but will be raptured (arpazo) before God pours out his wrath on the world.
Except that God is pouring out upon the Earth divine wrath before just before the second coming event.

Except that God is pouring out upon the Earth divine wrath before just before the second coming event.

Every rapture position believes that. The thing that separates them is whether the church will be on earth during that outpouring of wrath.

Every rapture position believes that. The thing that separates them is whether the church will be on earth during that outpouring of wrath.
I do not see us as being here when the wrath from God Himself comes down, but will be here o expereince the wrath of man towards us.
I think Dr Archer also linked the mid trib rapture as when the 2 witnesses of god are killed and risen , and go back to heaven.

I do not see us as being here when the wrath from God Himself comes down, but will be here o expereince the wrath of man towards us.
I think Dr Archer also linked the mid trib rapture as when the 2 witnesses of god are killed and risen , and go back to heaven.

Will we be on earth when God's wrath is poured out on the unbelievers?

A good book on this topic is Alan Kurschner's Antichrist Before the Day of the Lord. In my opinion he puts the nail in the coffin on there being a pre-trib rapture. I was convinced of a mid trib, pre-wrath rapture of the Church after his book and podcasts. Although, I am once again reevaluating my eschatology. I will be refining my eschatology until the LORD calls me to glory.

https://www.amazon.com/Antichrist-Before-Day-Lord-Christian/dp/0985363312

I also think this debate between Alan Kurschner and Thomas Ice is worth checking out.
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLfHKVpIuQf-ZUqQlB6r-RF2R4pkbduCSb

A good book on this topic is Alan Kurschner's Antichrist Before the Day of the Lord. In my opinion he puts the nail in the coffin on there being a pre-trib rapture. I was convinced of a mid trib, pre-wrath rapture of the Church after his book and podcasts. Although, I am once again reevaluating my eschatology. I will be refining my eschatology until the LORD calls me to glory.

I also think this debate between Alan Kurschner and Thomas Ice is worth checking out.

Very much agreed. On specific exegesis Kurschner probably brings more to the table than anyone else.

Better books are by Demar and Gentry.

All of that is debatable because there are so many presuppositions guiding exegesis in all of them including Kurschner.

Sure, but the Neronic thesis has fallen on hard times, since the chronology of the seven or eight emperors doesn't really work. The David Chilton view of preterism is slightly more defensible, but it, too, has its own problems:

1) The worst tribulation in the history of the world is the death of 70,000 apostate Jews.
2) It's hard to see how this view doesn't lead to full preterism.

Would you see the church being taken out then in the middle of the tribulation , as when the 2 Witnesses are killed doff and resurrected back to heaven then?

Sure, but the Neronic thesis has fallen on hard times, since the chronology of the seven or eight emperors doesn't really work. The David Chilton view of preterism is slightly more defensible, but it, too, has its own problems:

1) The worst tribulation in the history of the world is the death of 70,000 apostate Jews.
2) It's hard to see how this view doesn't lead to full preterism.
The Great tribulation was not AD 70 though, not unless we are going into being a full Preierist.

Would you see the church being taken out then in the middle of the tribulation , as when the 2 Witnesses are killed doff and resurrected back to heaven then?
My views were that the church would be removed the last third of the tribulation. As I stated above, I am reevaluating my eschatology. I am about to work my way through a few Reformed commentaries on Revelation and Daniel. I am also working through quite a few Reformed Systematic Theologies as well as Reformed books on eschatology. I am about to lead a Bible study through Revelation and I am challenging all of my previous held beliefs.

My views were that the church would be removed the last third of the tribulation. As I stated above, I am reevaluating my eschatology. I am about to work my way through a few Reformed commentaries on Revelation and Daniel. I am also working through quite a few Reformed Systematic Theologies as well as Reformed books on eschatology. I am about to lead a Bible study through Revelation and I am challenging all of my previous held beliefs.
I understand working through ones Eschatology, as I was at one time a very firm holder with the pre trib viewpoint, but now am still firmly premil, but leaning post trib Second Coming as the rapture event.

I am not sure about them but a few theologians in my library make a good case for it being in AD 70. Dr Floyd Nolen Jones' exegesis of Daniel's Seventy Weeks in his Old Testament Chronology is worth consulting.

I am not sure about them but a few theologians in my library make a good case for it being in AD 70. Dr Floyd Nolen Jones' exegesis of Daniel's Seventy Weeks in his Old Testament Chronology is worth consulting.
Except the Lord Jesus tied the Great tribulation event into His Second Coming event itself, so unless either the Church had a bodily resurrection happening that none recorded down, or else He had an invisible return, how could that be AD 70?

That's one of the main theses of partial (or full) preterism. Didn't you say you studied some of the theonomists? This is kind of basic stuff.
I have read some of the Dominion/Reconstructionist works, but Theonomy can be separated out from that viewpoint?

I have read some of the Dominion/Reconstructionist works, but Theonomy can be separated out from that viewpoint?

What I am getting at is that all of these guys have pushed the partial preterism narrative and are up front about what they are saying. Have you read any books about partial preterism?

What I am getting at is that all of these guys have pushed the partial preterism narrative and are up front about what they are saying. Have you read any books about partial preterism?
Just the belief that in AD 70, God destruction of the Temple fulfilled the Olivet Discourse, as they see God judging Israel by that, and ushering in the new Kingdom state then and there!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just the belief that in AD 70, God destruction of the Temple fulfilled the Oliver Discourse, as they see God judging Israel by that, and ushering in the new Kingdom state then and there!

Commas. Periods.

Yes, they believe that the destruction of Jerusalem in some way was or prefigured the destruction of the Old Covenant Creation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back