$45,000 and Luke 6:30

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nebrexan

Puritan Board Freshman
I ran across this post on craigslist the other day. How would you respond?
Luke 6:27-36
Date: 2007-07-28, 6:11PM CDT

Ok Lubbock Christians, listen up! Luke 6:30 time.

Here's the situation. I'm a year or so from graduating from TTU. I've been getting by on savings, Stafford loans, and some private loans from Chase. Now, I'm tapped out, and my co-signer did a handful of things to their credit so they're not eligible to co-sign for me anymore.

I've got 2 beautiful boys, one with autism and sensory integration disorder. He's been going to a special school to help him with both of those, and it's been working wonders. One last year at this school, and he'll probably be way ahead of the game such that he'll integrate with public school easily.

I'm completely broke and will be living in my vehicle within the week. I'm asking for help. Specifically, I'm asking for monetary help. If I can get someone to co-sign my loans for the next 2 semesters and summer school at TTU, I can finish putting my life back together and get back to providing for my family with everything that we need.

Otherwise, as I've discovered, with my employment gap, and non-completion of my degree, returning to the what is a highly technical and competitive field leaves me in a handicapped position. With all the student loans coming due by the end of this year if I drop out of school, I will essentially have to sell all of my possessions (not much, since I'm not a materialist) and live on the streets.

So, is there anyone out there willing to walk the walk as well as talk the talk?

You may wonder what you'll get out of this. Absolutely nothing. Go read the verses I referred to in the title of this message. However, I'll grant you this in return. I'll go to your church services for the duration of my enrollment at TTU. Maybe your congregation can show me something that I've missed throughout the years, and maybe you can show me a way to Christ that has an effect that others haven't.

There's a Reply-to: link up at the top of this message. If you want to help me out, click on the link and let's talk!

To prevent "sticker shock" from those who are willing to help but wouldn't have the means to co-sign, I'll tell you the specific amounts that I'd be asking for for each semester: $18,000, $15,000, and $12,000. Note, these are education loans and as such would not require immediate repayment, so you're not being asked for actual funds, and the institute doesn't expect payment until a few months after I graduate.

Now, in order to keep this a legitimate entry in the "rants and raves" section of CL, I honestly don't expect anyone to actually move forward with this, because I honestly don't believe that there are enough Christians in this town solvent enough to co-sign, and who actually follow their Bible, other than the sections that lead to condemnation of people who are the "other." I will be seriously surprised and more than willing to eat my words if someone here on CL proves me wrong.
Here's the passage she's referring to:
But I say to you who listen: Love your enemies, do good to those who hate you, bless those who curse you, pray for those who mistreat you. If anyone hits you on the cheek, offer the other also. And if anyone takes away your coat, don't hold back your shirt either. Give to everyone who asks from you, and from one who takes away your things, don't ask for them back. Just as you want others to do for you, do the same for them. If you love those who love you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners love those who love them. If you do [what is] good to those who are good to you, what credit is that to you? Even sinners do that. And if you lend to those from whom you expect to receive, what credit is that to you? Even sinners lend to sinners to be repaid in full. But love your enemies, do [what is] good, and lend, expecting nothing in return. Then your reward will be great, and you will be sons of the Most High. For He is gracious to the ungrateful and evil. Be merciful, just as your Father also is merciful. (Luke 6:27-36 HCSB)​

Last edited:
I think you (or send me the CL link) should send the man the following verses with this statement:

Dear brother,

You have appealed to Christians in your area to follow their Bible and help you out by co-signing a loan. True Christians want nothing more than to follow their Bibles. As such, it would be foolhardy for a Christian to co-sign a loan for you. Please consider the following verses:

"He who is surety for a stranger will suffer, But one who hates being surety is secure." Proverbs 11:15

"A man devoid of understanding shakes hands in a pledge, And becomes surety for his friend." Proverbs 17:18

"My son, if thou be surety for thy friend, if thou hast stricken thy hand with a stranger, Thou art snared with the words of thy mouth, thou art taken with the words of thy mouth." Prov 6:1

The wisdom of God is plain my brother. Being that I do not know you, you are a stranger to me. For me to become a surety for your debts means I will suffer. But If I hate doing such a thing, I will be secure. Thus saith the Lord.

I suggest you remove your post and put your hope in the Lord Jesus Christ.

Best regards,
a brother in Christ

****I just saw you put the link up. I am sending this along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back