5 Proofs from Genesis that Adam's Sin Is Imputed to Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poimen

Puritan Board Post-Graduate
I came up with this for one of my catechism classes. I would like to get some feedback:

1) Adam means "œman" in the Hebrew language. This deliberate ambiguity (the name of the historical person Adam and "˜man´ is retained throughout the scriptures) is intentional. We can see this in Hosea 6:7. Like Adam (or man) the people of Israel broke a covenant with God.
2) The curses spoken in Genesis 3:16-19 to Adam and Eve obviously have been passed on to all women and men. All men now return to the dust (that is die) but only because of Adam´s sin. Otherwise man (with the exception of Adam and Eve) would have been able to continue to partake of the tree of life.
3) In verse 20 of Genesis 3 we read that Eve is the mother of all the living. Therefore through her would come all people that would ever live.
So would also come the Messiah through her line (vs. 15). Implicitly we can see that her role in the world is as one who with Adam stands for all of mankind as a representative, for bad and good.
4) Even though it is Adam and Eve that are removed from the garden, this punishment extends to their descendants who cannot enter in (thus the cherubims guarding the way).
5) Finally after their expulsion from the garden their son Cain murders his brother Abel. This is clearly not natural and illustrates that the sin of Adam had terrible consequences for the human race. We can demonstrate this by simply reading the rest of the Bible: it is one united story of man´s hate for God and His neighbor except where God intervenes to bring salvation.

Pastor Kok:

I've always considered numbers 2-4 as the same, but you point out significant distinctions beween them.

I didn't write the first sentence with as much care as I should have. I didn't intend to communicate the fact that I invented these five reasons. They are just my simple summary of the truths in Genesis for catechism students.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back