50% Off Owens Complete Works - New Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you have to purchase the first volume as well to get the deal, or just sign up to the mailing list? I already have the banner of truth 16 volumes, but may be interstate in later getting some of the works not included in those; e.g. Hebrews commentary, the study of true theology etc..

Do you have to purchase the first volume as well to get the deal, or just sign up to the mailing list? I already have the banner of truth 16 volumes, but may be interstate in later getting some of the works not included in those; e.g. Hebrews commentary, the study of true theology etc..
You would have to go to the website or contact Crossway to find out.

It may be 50% off, but the cheapest shipping is $12.55
Reformation Heritage wins again!

Blessings!
"Crossway+ members have access to shipping benefits, including free shipping to any address in the contiguous US on orders of $30 or more."

RHB:
USPS Order Total:
$50+: Free
3-10 daysYes

Just when I had convinced myself to be content with the Banner of Truth volumes of Owen that I have... Crossway makes me an offer I almost can't refuse. Ugghhh.

Just when I had convinced myself to be content with the Banner of Truth volumes of Owen that I have... Crossway makes me an offer I almost can't refuse. Ugghhh.
makes more sense to channel those funds to puritans you do not have in my opinion

makes more sense to channel those funds to puritans you do not have in my opinion
Honestly, my biggest investment in this regard was to get a Kindle. Amazon has it now so you can get one 0% interest, $28 a month for 5 months. After we add the Covenanters, Edwards, Boston, Whitefield, Davies, and the American Puritans to the 6,000 epubs we already have; it will be close to 500 or more, more works. If not more. I think I will have all the Puritan literature I ever need. Which is good for me because I can now direct those funds to the local church or other ministry outlets. And considering I have spent almost $7,000 in Logos, which adds another 4,000 books. I may just be done buying books for a long while. I think there is a point you stop buying and just read what you have; otherwise it may be more of an addictive issue than an edification one.

Honestly, my biggest investment in this regard was to get a Kindle. Amazon has it now so you can get one 0% interest, $28 a month for 5 months. After we add the Covenanters, Edwards, Boston, Whitefield, Davies, and the American Puritans to the 6,000 epubs we already have; it will be close to 500 or more, more works. If not more. I think I will have all the Puritan literature I ever need. Which is good for me because I can now direct those funds to the local church or other ministry outlets. And considering I have spent almost $7,000 in Logos, which adds another 4,000 books. I may just be done buying books for a long while. I think there is a point you stop buying and just read what you have; otherwise it may be more of an addictive issue than an edification one.
I am happy to feast on Manton Flavel my whole life

I am happy to feast on Manton Flavel my whole life
Thats what I am thinking when I start to read some of the books. Like the Christian in Complete Armor. It is like every line is almost a profound truth. But at the same time, one may take the same position in literature as they do with commentaries or bible translators; that is a single person may have a lot of good to say, but wisdom is found in the abundance of counselors. Prov. 15:22, 24:6

Thats what I am thinking when I start to read some of the books. Like the Christian in Complete Armor. It is like every line is almost a profound truth. But at the same time, one may take the same position in literature as they do with commentaries or bible translators; that is a single person may have a lot of good to say, but wisdom is found in the abundance of counselors. Prov. 15:22, 24:6
Manton on James is the feast for me.

Thanks for the information!
Shipping is $2.50 at RHB.

Blessings!
With this sale, it would still be surprising if RHB carried these, though they may still. I believe part of RHB's ministry is purchasing books at wholesale and selling at cost to the customer, this is how they keep the lower prices. I dont see them getting a cheaper wholesale price than 50% off from Crossway. And, if they cant procure it, it may be more expensive at RHB, than it is at Crossway, even with the reduced shipping.

I guess I just didn't understand why USPS ground shipping is $12.50 at Crossway for a single book.
Even with the higher cost of $27.00 + $2.50 at RHB, it's still a cheaper than $20.00 + $12.50 at Crossway.

Blessings still to both for making the book available.

I guess I just didn't understand why USPS ground shipping is $12.50 at Crossway for a single book.
Even with the higher cost of $27.00 + $2.50 at RHB, it's still a cheaper than $20.00 + $12.50 at Crossway.

Blessings still to both for making the book available.
but it is not hard to hit 50 dollars with such a large collection (buy from crossway once a year?). Someone could get 3 20 dollar books with free shipping. 60 dollars here is quite much lower than a 81 in this instance.

but it is not hard to hit 50 dollars with such a large collection (buy from crossway once a year?). Someone could get 3 20 dollar books with free shipping. 60 dollars here is quite much lower than a 81 in this instance.
Agree...

Some people might only have the budget for 1 book here and there, and not wish to pay $12.50 for shipping.
My only point in posting was to make that known.

Blessings!

Here was my workaround: since any order above $30 is no cost for shipping, I pre-ordered Vol. 8 along with 7 to bring the total purchase above $30. Pre-orders only grant a 30% discount, but aggregated with the 50% on the current volume, it brings the two volumes to 40% off each, or $24 per volume with no cost for shipping.

Another benefit is Crossway+ includes an ebook with every hardbound purchase (that has a corresponding ebook). This is significant as the majority of my reading is electronic, but I do like hardbound volumes that are particular and special. Don't get me wrong, I try to support RHB any time I can.

At first, I was hesitant about this set as it feels like tampering with the canon after all the years of the Banner set, especially changing and reorganizing by subject. But the more I think about it, the more I am really interested in improved formatting, headings that will assist the reader (like the Battles version of Institutes), detailed footnotes, and substantial introductions and commentary, alongside the original text. One I am really looking forward to is re-reading Apostasy from the Gospel, edited with extensive notes from Dr. Beeke due out in August.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back