70 years ago today

Status
Not open for further replies.

Somerset

Puritan Board Junior
My story begins four years earlier. My mother (Thelma) was walking home from school one day in 1940 and passed several lorries full of dirty, ragged, exhausted men – she assumed they were French (sic) but was shocked to find they were British troops from Dunkirk. Our town (Taunton) was the HQ of the Somerset Light Infantry – who always looked very smart, so this was upsetting for her.

By early June 1944 it was clear that the invasion of Northern Europe was coming as there were suddenly no troops in Taunton – no Brits, no US, even the Poles had taken their eagle flag from their rooms above the local post office and gone. 70 years ago today Thelma was sitting an exam at school. Afterwards the girls gathered in the playground and planes were heard. There were a number of bomber airfields near Taunton – so Thelma was used to hearing them taking off. But this was different – it seemed that the entire RAF was going overhead and lots were pulling gliders.

Thelma didn’t sleep well that night. Neighbours, friends and family members were on active service and clearly a lot of them were going to be involved – and Thelma remembered those men of 1940……..

Winston Churchill

August 20, 1940
House of Commons

The gratitude of every home in our Island, in our Empire, and indeed throughout the world, except in the abodes of the guilty, goes out to the British airmen who, undaunted by odds, unwearied in their constant challenge and mortal danger, are turning the tide of the world war by their prowess and by their devotion. Never in the field of human conflict was so much owed by so many to so few.

Recently there was a girl in the news who was suing her parents for support to continue in a lifestyle she had always enjoyed but always on their dime, until they cut it off. I was reading the comments under it and some were bleating 'but she's only eighteeeeen'. One person then replied 'well, when my grandaddy was 18, he was on Utah beach' - let's also remember that these 'men' of yesteryear would be playing video games in mom's basement today, for the most part.

Shortly after midnight 15,000 US and 8,000 UK and Canadian troops landed by parachute or glider. This was followed by 57,000 US and 75,000 UK and Canadian troops by sea. Air crew and ships crews were also provided by Australia and New Zealand. Free Czechoslovaks, Poles and Norwegians were also involved.

4414 allied service personal were killed on this day alone - as well as many Germans and French civilians.

Lest we forget

40th Anniversary
Point-du-hac
April 6, 1984

The Honorable Ronald Reagan
President of the United States

The men of Normandy had faith that what they were doing was right, faith that they fought for all humanity, faith that a just God would grant them mercy on this beachhead or on the next. It was the deep knowledge -- and pray God we have not lost it -- that there is a profound, moral difference between the use of force for liberation and the use of force for conquest. You were here to liberate, not to conquer, and so you and those others did not doubt your cause. And you were right not to doubt.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eEIqdcHbc8I

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back