70's Bands

Status
Not open for further replies.

VirginiaHuguenot

Puritanboard Librarian
For those who appreciate the music of the 1970's, what are your favorite bands?

Some of mine include:

Boston

Fleetwood Mac

The Babys

The Raspberries

Climax Blues Band

Lynyrd Skynyrd

Marshall Tucker Band

Allman Brothers

Wings

Bad Finger

Bad Company

Eagles

Heart

Pink Floyd

Steve Miller Band

Styx

ZZ Top

Kansas

Led Zeppelin

Grand Funk Railroad

Queen

Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band

ELO

CCR

Steely Dan

Abba

America

Bread

Chicago

The Doobie Brothers

Foreigner

Jefferson Airplane

The Moody Blues

Foghat

Aerosmith

Lynyrd Skynyrd

Pink Floyd

Brownsville Station

Kansas Kerry Livgren is still making music....

Rush

Styx

Boston

Foreigner

Bad Company

The Stones

Led Zeppelin

Charlie Daniels

Molly Hatchet

Eagles

Bad Company

REO Speedwagon

Journey

I never liked Bruce Springsteen or Steve Miller.

[Edited on 1-17-2006 by puritancovenanter]

Disco & 70s Soul Music:
Funkadelic
Heatwave
GQ
Whispers
Spinners
BeeGees
DelFonics
Chi-Lites
Kool & The Gang
Commadores
Isley Brothers

Rock:
Paul McCartney & Wings
Santana
Eagles
Guess Who
Who
Boston
Rolling Stones

[Edited on 1-17-2006 by Presbyrino]

Deep Purple
Blackmores Rainbow
Sabbath
Zeppelin
Alice Cooper
Journey
Ted Nugent
Judas Priest
I never liked Springsteen or Steve Miller either.

Genesis (before Gabriel left and Phil Collins imagined he could sing)
Gentle Giant
Jethro Tull
King Crimson
Focus
Mahavishnu Orchestra
Kansas
Deep Purple

:cool:
Robin

Led Zeppelin (box set)
Allman Brothers
Creedance Clearwater Revival
Lynyrd Skynyrd
Pink Floyd
Eagles
Steve Miller Band
The Moody Blues

1970s classic rock is some of the best... 80s had some aberrations that were good (e.g. Dire Straits, U2), but most everything in 90s sorta bites...

I try and listen to classical and Christian music more.

Loggins and Messina, anyone?

Anybody still go to concerts? My wife and I are heading down to Orlando in March to see the Moody Blues (or what's left of them now that Ray Thomas has retired). It's my wife's "Christmas present". We like to see them at least once a year.

We went to the Loggins and Messina Reunion Tour show in Philly last year. It was very good. One of the best concerts I've every been to. We saw L&M twice in Philly during their heyday in the '70s.

My daughter and her husband are going to see Billy Joel at February. I like to remind her that I saw Billy Joel when he was just an "up and comer" at our small college back in the '70s.

What was your first concert? Mine was Fall 1972, freshman year in college, Jethro Tull at the Spectrum in Philly.

BTW, Ted Nugent and his wife were on the (uber-liberal) Donny Deutsch program last night on CNBC. Ted's a real character. His wife was trying to get Donny to go hunting with them.

The first concert I ever went to was Three Dog Night in downtown St. Louis at the Kiel about '70 or '71. Funny, there seem to be this smoky haze hovering above the crowd. Someone had to actually tell me what it was!!

The last concert I went to was John Mellencamp about five, six years ago in Milwaukee.

Originally posted by tcalbrecht

I love Loggins and Messina and am kicking myself for missing their concert here last fall. Are they going to be touring again?

GENESIS (just look at the avatar).

And Phil Collins sings quite well in my opinion. Peter Gabriel once said something to the effect that Phil sings Peter's songs better than Peter could ever sing them, but he would never be able to sing them the same way that Peter sang them. I happen to like both eras of the band, but I favor the Gabriel era.

[Edited on 1-17-2006 by bradofshaw]

I think Led Zeppelin is the quintessential 70s band. I always have been impressed with the amount of acoustic work they included on their LPs. Jimmy Page taught me to play guitar-- back when you had to lift up the needle to get back to that riff!

Originally posted by Rick Larson
Originally posted by tcalbrecht

I love Loggins and Messina and am kicking myself for missing their concert here last fall. Are they going to be touring again?

Looks like they won't be touring again until 2007, according to their website .

Favorite 70's Bands:

Led Zeppelin
Rolling Stones
The Guess Who
Steppenwolf
Three Dog Night
Blood, Sweat, and Tears
The Animals
Buffalo Springfield

Favorite 70's Songs, no particular order:

Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress "“ Hollies
A Whiter Shade of Pale by Procul Harem.
House of the Rising Sun "“ Animals
Sweet Cherry Wine "“ Tommy James and the Shondells
Paint it Black "“ Rolling Stones
Ramble On "“ Led Zeppelin
Magic Carpet Ride "“ Steppenwolf
Me Bobby McGee "“ Janis Joplin
He Ain´t Heavy, He´s My Brother "“ The Hollies
Drift Away - Dobie Gray
Dream On "“ Aerosmith
Never Been to Spain "“ Three Dog Night
Heidi Ho "“ BS&T
Let´s give Adam and Eve another Chance "“ Gary Pucket and the Union Gap
Ball of Fire - Tommy James and the Shondells
The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
N.I.B. "“ Black Sabbath
Indian Reservation - Paul Revere and the Raiders

My vote for the quintessential 70's song.....

Afternoon Delight (Starland Vocal Band)

You gotta be kidding Rick. Please say it aint so! I will have lost all faith because of this one....:barfy:

Loggins and Messina
Doobie Brothers
Mahagony Rush
Kansas
Steely Dan
Chicago
Carol King
James Taylor
Joni Mitchell
Allman brothers
Hall & Oates
Bachman Turner Overdrive (limited number of their songs - mostly non-hits)
Pablo Cruise
Marshall Tucker Band
Firefall
Ozark Mountain Daredevils
Steve Miller
Leon Russell
Dr. John
Todd Rungdren
Isley brothers
Spinners
Boston
Alan Parsons
Boz Scaggs
Eric Clapton
Stones
... and many more

I think Led Zeppelin is the quintessential 70s band. I always have been impressed with the amount of acoustic work they included on their LPs. Jimmy Page taught me to play guitar-- back when you had to lift up the needle to get back to that riff!

:ditto:

Originally posted by ChristopherPaul
Favorite 70's Bands:

Led Zeppelin
Rolling Stones
The Guess Who
Steppenwolf
Three Dog Night
Blood, Sweat, and Tears
The Animals
Buffalo Springfield

Favorite 70's Songs, no particular order:

Long Cool Woman in a Black Dress "“ Hollies
A Whiter Shade of Pale by Procul Harem.
House of the Rising Sun "“ Animals
Sweet Cherry Wine "“ Tommy James and the Shondells
Paint it Black "“ Rolling Stones
Ramble On "“ Led Zeppelin
Magic Carpet Ride "“ Steppenwolf
Me Bobby McGee "“ Janis Joplin
He Ain´t Heavy, He´s My Brother "“ The Hollies
Drift Away - Dobie Gray
Dream On "“ Aerosmith
Never Been to Spain "“ Three Dog Night
Heidi Ho "“ BS&T
Let´s give Adam and Eve another Chance "“ Gary Pucket and the Union Gap
Ball of Fire - Tommy James and the Shondells
The Wreck Of The Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
N.I.B. "“ Black Sabbath
Indian Reservation - Paul Revere and the Raiders

A lot of these are actually '60's songs, with "Paint it Black" being released in about '66, when Brian Jones still in the band. Some of the others are from '68 or '69. But many of them are great regardless. I think Buffalo Springfield was done by 1970 too, if not before.

I used to be really into this stuff before I was converted. My favorite '70's bands would have to be the Stones, Pink Floyd and Led Zeppelin, in no particular order. I think the Stones "Sticky Fingers" is probably their most overlooked and underrated album, coming out in between "Let It Bleed" and "Exile". It's a darker album, but in terms of sound quality, it's perhaps their best, in my opinion. I used to be really into Aerosmith too, but haven't listened to them in years. Their best work was in the mid '70's. Black Sabbath is just now getting their due after all these years. Many pop ballads are just as "satanic" (if not moreso) than anything Sabbath ever put out. This includes some huge hits by the aforementioned Chicago, which make me want to gag every time I hear them :barfy:

I just looked it up and saw that Derek and the Dominoes "Layla" was released in 1970, so that would also have to go to the front of the list. That was a one-off project and is probably Clapton's best record.

Rod Stewart's "Every Picture Tells A Story" came out in the '70's too, another of the all time great albums, with Maggie May, the title track and some brilliant covers.

Ditto on King Crimson, Robin. I had a few of their tapes or cd's at one time, good stuff. Overall, I probably had well over a thousand tapes at one time or another (I'm always a bit behind on embracing new technology) but have discarded almost all of them over the years.

Originally posted by Pilgrim
Ditto on King Crimson, Robin. I had a few of their tapes or cd's at one time, good stuff.

I was in a band back then that performed a rendition of "In the Court of the Crimson King" -- we had a "Chamberlain" - a keyboard, the forerunner of the mellotron - one that belonged to the Moody Blues. It was a tape machine (basically) that had 52 "voices" (violins; voices; horns, etc.) that played the particular voice when pressing the keys. That's what gets the unusual "Moody Blues" string sound -- a keyboard playing taped live violins (not sampled.) No techno-wondrous synthesizer could match the character of that sound.

Memories :candle:

[Edited on 1-18-2006 by Robin]

Originally posted by puritancovenanter

You gotta be kidding Rick. Please say it aint so! I will have lost all faith because of this one....:barfy:

Well, it didn't say it was good!! :lol:

I was in a band back then that performed a rendition of "In the Court of the Crimson King" -- we had a "Chamberlain" - a keyboard, the forerunner of the mellotron - one that belonged to the Moody Blues. It was a tape machine (basically) that had 52 "voices" (violins; voices; horns, etc.) that played the particular voice when pressing the keys. That's what gets the unusual "Moody Blues" string sound -- a keyboard playing taped live violins (not sampled.) No techno-wondrous synthesizer could match the character of that sound.

:ditto: Vintage keyboard sounds are so cool!!:up:

Originally posted by puritancovenanter

The funny thing is, hearing this song on the radio is one of my earliest childhood memories-- so I guess it reminds me of the seventies for that reason. I had no idea what an "afternoon delight" was. Some kind of ice cream perhaps? It wasn't until years later that I figured out what they were singing about! :um:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back