A. A. Hodge on the need for creeds

Reformed Covenanter

Cancelled Commissioner
It is asserted in the first chapter of this Confession, and vindicated in this exposition, that the Scriptures of the Old and New Testaments, having been given by inspiration of God, are, for man in his present state, the only and the all-sufficient rule of faith and practice. All that man is to believe concerning God, and the entire duty which God requires of man, are revealed therein, and are to be believed and obeyed because contained therein, because it is the Word of God. This Divine Word, therefore, is the only standard of doctrine which has intrinsic authority binding the conscience of men. And all other standards are of value or authority only in proportion as they teach what the Scriptures teach.

While, however, the Scriptures are from God, the understanding of them belongs to the part of men. Men must interpret to the best of their ability each particular part of Scripture separately, and then combine all that the Scriptures teach upon every subject into a consistent whole, and then adjust their teachings upon different subjects in mutual consistency as parts of a harmonious system. Every student of the Bible must do this; and all make it obvious that they do it, by the terms they use in their prayers and religious discourse, whether they admit or deny the propriety of human creeds and confessions.

If they refuse the assistance afforded by the statements of doctrine slowly elaborated and defined by the Church, they must make out their own creed by their own unaided wisdom. The real question is not, as often pretended, between the Word of God and the creed of man, but between the tried and proved faith of the collective body of God’s people, and the private judgment and the unassisted wisdom of the repudiator of creeds.

For the reference, see:

Simply excellent. Thank you for sharing this.

I might in our present day consider amending the last sentence as follows: between the Word of God and the creed of man, but between the tried and proved faith of the collective body of God’s people, and the judgment and wisdom of the unspoken/unwritten creed to which the person deceitfully or unconsciously adheres.

At least, that's been more in line with my personal experience in this age of subjectivistic anti-confessionalism.

30 years ago this month the man who introduced me to Reformed theology gave me this book (Banner of Truth edition). What a blessing it has been to me.

Would it be your first choice among commentaries on the Confession?
There are a number of very good modern commentaries on the Confession. But I do not have any of them. I have AA Hodge and Robert Shaw. I do love Hodge and Robert Shaw is a great classic.

Pastor Keister has a helpful list:
Start with Williamson, Sproul, and Van Dixhoorn. Then go to Shaw and Hodge and the others.

If they refuse the assistance afforded by the statements of doctrine slowly elaborated and defined by the Church, they must make out their own creed by their own unaided wisdom. The real question is not, as often pretended, between the Word of God and the creed of man, but between the tried and proved faith of the collective body of God’s people, and the private judgment and the unassisted wisdom of the repudiator of creeds.
What an eloquent, and correct (2 Pet. 1:20), way of putting it. Thanks for the post, @Reformed Covenanter!

Back