A Baptist Psalter

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard Miller

Puritan Board Freshman
Hello. I am a Baptist (1689 and all that) Elder. I have a question in regards to music. I went to an OPC church last Lord's Day evening (just to check it out and make friends, as there are not a lot of reformed churches in my area). They had this wonderful book called the Trinity Psalter. I'm not sure how ya'll feel about that one, so pardon my ignorance if that is not a good one.

I know what a psalter is, and I recognize why the Psalms are appropriate singing. This is kind of a new thing that I have stumbled upon, but I have been arranging a few Psalm-based/Psalter type songs for my congregation. Anyway, I am really excited to sing more Psalms with my congregation.

Anyway, I had never looked through a physical psalter before (I just have looked through a few free ones online). What I really like about the Trinity Psalter is how you have the WCF, both sizes of Catechisms, Cannons of Dort, and lots of other stuff in it. I am not a Presbyterian, but I recognize the importance of those documents.

So here's my question: Is there a good Baptist Psalter? Like something with the 1689 LBC and Keach's Catechism or Spurgeon's Catechism in it? I don't even know where to look.

Follow up question: I am also new to the idea of not using a bunch of instruments with worship music. I am against the idea of more than one instrument, as I know some/many of you are. My question is: in the non-instrumental camp, are there some who deem one instrument (like a piano to set the key) acceptable and others who would argue against the piano in favor of strict acapella? I'm just curious, as the OPC church I went to had a piano, and I wasn't sure what to expect. Anyway, thank you all for your patience.

The Trinity Psalter is just fine. You should also look into the Trinity Hymnal Baptist edition: http://wp.girbc.org/truth-for-eternity/

The Trinity Hymnal (the OP church probably used this as well) is a standard. If there is a old hymn not in that one, it's probably b/c the theology wasn't rich enough! The Baptist edition has the 2LBC instead of the Westminster standards. I wish it went ahead and put the London standards in there as well (i.e. the Bap Cat).

Hello. I am a Baptist (1689 and all that) Elder. I have a question in regards to music. I went to an OPC church last Lord's Day evening (just to check it out and make friends, as there are not a lot of reformed churches in my area). They had this wonderful book called the Trinity Psalter. I'm not sure how ya'll feel about that one, so pardon my ignorance if that is not a good one.

I know what a psalter is, and I recognize why the Psalms are appropriate singing. This is kind of a new thing that I have stumbled upon, but I have been arranging a few Psalm-based/Psalter type songs for my congregation. Anyway, I am really excited to sing more Psalms with my congregation.

Anyway, I had never looked through a physical psalter before (I just have looked through a few free ones online). What I really like about the Trinity Psalter is how you have the WCF, both sizes of Catechisms, Cannons of Dort, and lots of other stuff in it. I am not a Presbyterian, but I recognize the importance of those documents.

So here's my question: Is there a good Baptist Psalter? Like something with the 1689 LBC and Keach's Catechism or Spurgeon's Catechism in it? I don't even know where to look.

Follow up question: I am also new to the idea of not using a bunch of instruments with worship music. I am against the idea of more than one instrument, as I know some/many of you are. My question is: in the non-instrumental camp, are there some who deem one instrument (like a piano to set the key) acceptable and others who would argue against the piano in favor of strict acapella? I'm just curious, as the OPC church I went to had a piano, and I wasn't sure what to expect. Anyway, thank you all for your patience.
Hi, Richard! In my experience, most Baptists who sing psalms use psalters arranged and published by Presbyterians.

About the instruments: note that the terms of the discussion on whether to use them are determined by the Regulative Principle of Worship. In case you don't know, the RPW is the doctrine that God regulates his worship in a prescriptive way. That is to say, only what he has prescribed is to be done in worship. The instruments he commanded to be used in the OT were played by Levites as part of the temple worship, and they have passed away with the Levitical/temple system. Because he has not prescribed instrumental music for NT worship, they are not to be used (that's the conviction of several of us here, anyway).

I hope that helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back