A Biblical Explanation of Ancient History

Status
Not open for further replies.
Genesis 5:3 gives the
apparent age of Adam as 930 (Gen. 5:5) years, but the count starts with Seth.
Where are the firstborn, Cain and Abel? I believe they and many
others were born before the Fall (“..be fruitful and multiply”
– Gen 1:28) and existed as those sustain by the Tree of Life.
Before the fall, years of life were irrelevant, only after their eyes were opened (Genesis 3:7)

[/quote]First, where in Scripture does it say Adam lived billions of years? Genesis says he lived 930 years and does not qualify the number with "after the Fall." So your billions or millions or thousands of years theory doesn't fit with Scripture.[/quote]

"their eyes were opened" (Genesis 3:7)

Don't you think the ingestion of the Fruit of the Tree of knowledge was the beginning of some special awareness or just the knowledge that they were naked? Look at the idea objectively...why would there be writing or timekeeping before the Fall?

Why would they even be aware of the passage of time? Where did History come from? What purpose does it fulfill? I know and you know that it is the narrative of God's sovereignty through TIME.

Remember, I agree with the 6 day Creation and I reject Macro Evolution.

I propose Pre-fall TIME had little meaning, except for the seventh day, perhaps.. Thus no awareness of time passing or the interest in keeping time before the Fall. Post Fall, lots of reasons...do you think Adam counted the frequency of 7th days after his creation? Why would he? What would a year mean to him? Maybe to count seasons, but what would he need for seasons in the Garden?

Second, Adam did not have any "youthful innocence." He was created a mature man. He of all men was created after the image of God in knowledge, righteousness, and holiness, without corruption, endowed with every faculty to resist the devil if he so choosed.

Agreed.

He was created this way, and called by God "very good." He didn't need billions of years to attain it. He was our federal head in the covenant of works, and as such adequately prepared for that role as the representative of mankind to undergo the temptation and probation on our behalf.

Agreed. But what if he had that time? Does it not make the Fall even more significant?

This is where Christ is greater. He entered His earthly life as a baby, and grew up living righteously, enduring the miseries of this life to adulthood, AND withstood the temptation of the devil, on behalf of His people, which Adam failed to overcome.

Amen!

So, I would suggest rethinking your theory. :detective:

Ah, but the game is afoot!

Final question: Do you think this theory could be heretical? Counter-salvific?

Finally; it is all speculative, anyway...a "what if" to use as a tool. The Creation narrative is not about answering naturalist questions. Just as the Bible as a whole is given as a guide to faith and practice.

It is about God’s relationship to Man. Man’s relationship to God. And Man’s relationship to Man.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back