A blessing indeed

Status
Not open for further replies.

toddpedlar

Iron Dramatist
Don't have a happy-happy-joy-joy icon, although I guess we've got the dancing banana...

I've just been able to set aside some money from a side job consulting for a publisher (on a physics textbook) and have just bought Joseph Caryl's masterpiece on Job... I am so thankful that the Lord provides these opportunities now and again, and I look forward to the way He'll be teaching me and my family through this wonderful work of His servant. Praise God for His provision and the blessing of sound teachers and pastors like Caryl...

:bouncy::bouncy: yay! Never hear of him though. :think:

Joseph Caryl was one of the Westminster Divines (if not a commissioner, one who did in fact take part in some of the debates), and an able expositor. Here are a couple reflections on this work - first by Charles Spurgeon in Commenting and Commentaries, and the second, by Randal J. Pederson. You can also go here for a brief bio from A Puritan's Mind.

Caryl must have inherited the patience of Job to have completed his stupendous task. It would be a mistake to suppose that he is at all prolix or redundant; he is only full. In the course of his expounding he has illustrated a very large portion of the whole Bible with great clearness and power. He is deeply devotional and spiritual. He gives us much, but none too much. Caryl's work can scarcely be superseded or surpassed.
Caryl's work is a monolithic achievement, even by Puritan standards. His exegesis is lengthy, meaty, and timeless. There are many thoughts and applications in Caryl's work that cannot be found elsewhere.

In the nineteenth-century, an abridgement of Caryl's work appeared, but how one can skillfully reduce twelve octavo volumes into a single work of nearly 200 pages is something of a mystery. Spurgeon said it best: “We do not believe in an abridgment of a book which is good throughout. Think of twelve large volumes condensed into one small one! An ox in a gallipot [a small jar used to hold medicines] is nothing to it” (Commenting on Commentaries, p. 76).

Not everyone has seen the merit of Caryl's work for our day. Recently, Allan Harman wrote: "Caryl's exposition on Job should have been left on library shelves for anyone interested in puritan exposition on Job to consult there. It does not merit republication, especially in its original format that is very difficult to read. It is an example of the verbose treatment typical of some puritans, in which every statement leads to a doctrinal development of the subject. The twelve volumes in this set will remain unread, as there are many other expositions of appropriate length to which modern readers will turn" (The Reformed Theological Review [61:3, December 2002, 172]).

I appreciate Harman's opinion as it enables me to clarify a few points. First, the Puritan virtue was verbosity. Richard Alleine, for instance, noted how he pounded the same words and phrases into his congregation's ears that it might penetrate their hearts. There is need for us to constantly be reminded of eternal truths, as we are prone to ignore, supress, and forget them. Secondly, The work does merit republication. Where else can one find the diamonds that Caryl has mined? No modern work has ever dealt with Job in similar fashion to Caryl. Literally, he has weaved a whole body of divinity. His insight into the text is breathtaking, and should not be frowned upon. Thirdly, I am not convinced the volumes will remain unread; I know several individuals who faithfully consult Caryl on particular matters of application. Fourthly, and lastly, the matter of print quality. Regretfully, some parts of it are hard to read, as the original set was not perfect. Thankfully, however, the difficult portions are rare. As to the matter of the archaic English, with a little practice one will be able to pour through the volumes quite easily. This will not only enhance one's reading skills, but provide an opportunity to appreciate more deeply the historical complexity of the English language. This set should be in the library of every pastor and student of theology.

In closing his course on Job, Joseph Caryl expressed his hope that the Lord would restore all things, that our unceasing cry should be to God in prayer for "all his sorrowing Jobs." May God richly bless this work to all who faithfully use it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back