A Book on Christian Philosophy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Igor

Puritan Board Freshman
There's actually a better one and recently published. It's called For Faith and Clarity: Philosophical Contributions to Christian Theology. It's was recently published, so its scholarship is up to date, unlike Geisler's book. I haven't read the other two that you put up, but I know that For Faith and Clarity is a good read.

For Faith and Clarity: Philosophical Contributions to Christian Theology (9780801027666): James Beilby: Books

With this book, however, I came across one problem--Tertullian's dictum. Tertullian wrote, "What indeed has Athens to do with Jerusalem? What concord is there between the Academy and the Church?"[1] Following down further in chapter 1, which reads about the relationship between philosophy and theology, the essayist Alan G. Padgett--an excellent writer in his own right--writes, "To give things away just a bit, we are going to find an answer different from the one Tertullian did."[2] I obviously disagree with Padgett, but that does not mean that we cannot take something from this book. Padgett places wisdom in such a high regard that it makes this essay a worthy read. To solve this little dilemma, as it did for me, I read Bahnsen's exegesis of Paul in Athens (Acts 17) and I also read Cornelius Van Til's book, Jerusalem and Athens: Critical Discussions on the Philosophy and Theology of Cornelius Van Til .

[1] Tertullian, Prescription Against Heretics, sec. 7
[2] Alan G. Padgett, "The Relationship Between Philosophy and Theology," in For Faith and Clarity, 26.

I'm currently going through Feinberg's Ethics for a Brave New World. It's alright, but I think Feinberg's dispensationalism leaves out a truly Biblical ethical worldview. I don't know how his and Geisler's book on philosophy is though.

This one I thought was IMMENSELY helpful! I believe Ronald Nash is PCA if I'm not mistaken. Nash, Life's Ultimate Questions: An Introduction to Philosophy

Amazon.com: Life's Ultimate Questions (0025986223649): Ronald H. Nash: Books

When you are done with whatever book you choose, pick up Gordon Clark's Thales to Dewey.

And the problem is??

You can never have to many philosophy books, and once you start reading...

If you are looking for Christian Philosophy (more specifically, Calvinistic Philosophy) then I would recommend picking up Herman Dooyeweerd (Roots of Western Culture) or Dirk Vollenhoven (Introduction to Philosophy).

The book by Cowan and Spiegel is good. I finished reading it last month.
That is the first in my list. Would you please tell me more about it?

The book covers philosophy from a topical perspective, not from a historical perspective. The authors do not pretend to be neutral. It gives the arguments both pro and con for various issues. The book covers logic, epistemology, philosophy of science, metaphysics, human nature, philosophy of religion, ethics, political philosophy, and aesthetics. The book discusses the different kinds of syllogisms and the different kinds of fallacies. It advocates the correspondence theory of truth. The philosophy of religion section covers the ontological argument, the theological argument, and the cosmological argument. It is against Open Theism. The book discusses libertarian free will and compatibilism, but it does not say which view is the correct one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back