A Case for Historic Premillennialism: An Alternative to “Left Behind” Eschatology

Status
Not open for further replies.

JM

Puritan Board Doctor
9780801035968.jpg

Case for Historic Premillennialism, A | Publishing Commerce | Baker Academic: A Division of Baker Publishing Group

Price: $24.99
ISBN: 978-0-8010-3596-8
ISBN-10: 0-8010-3596-1
Dimensions: 6 x 9
Number of pages: 208
Publication Date: Feb. 09
Formats: Paperback

email page
printer friendly page
request exam copy

Twentieth- and twenty-first-century American evangelicalism, particularly at the popular level, has been virtually saturated with the eschatology of dispensational premillennialism. The distinctive teachings of that system, in particular its affirmation of the pretribulation rapture of the church, have become so pervasive that many evangelicals would be hard pressed to identify an alternative approach. Popular novels that disseminate dispensationalism to a wider readership have only furthered that trend.

The contributors to this volume provide a thoughtful alternative. They present compelling arguments for historic or classic premillennialism--a position widely held throughout church history (and popularly advanced in the writings of George Eldon Ladd). An introductory chapter examines the differences within premillennial eschatology and considers reasons for the widespread popularity of dispensationalism in the twentieth century. This is followed by biblical, theological, historical, and missiological studies that reexamine classic premillennialism, particularly with regard to its understanding of the return of Christ.

The authors, all respected scholars in their fields, present arguments for a return to an eschatological theology that was widely held for many centuries. Their engaging studies should be of great interest to evangelical readers--both in the academy and in the church.
Contributors

Craig L. Blomberg

Oscar A. Campos

Sung Wook Chung

Helene Dallaire

Donald Fairbairn

Richard S. Hess

Don J. Payne

Timothy P. Weber

This looks very interesting. I'm afraid it's too late for me. Riddlebarger has wooed me over to the dark side. However, all three "classic" eschatological positions are orthodox.

Although he was perhaps the most renowned historic premillenialist in the less century, I am learning that Ladd's views apparently aren't completely representative of many older historic premillenialists like Horatius Bonar, Nathaniel West, C.H. Spurgeon, J.C. Ryle and others, especially on the issue of the restoration of of the Jews to the land and not simply an end times mass conversion of the Jews. Restoration largely seems to be regarded as a dispensational distinctive today but none of the above men were dispensational yet they all held to restoration.

You can find Amillennial proponents such as Vos, Holwerda and Venema who understand Romans 11 to be literal, where a remnant of God’s elect are chosen from ethnic Israel. Postmillennialists also include Israel as well. [see “A Case for Amillennialism” by Riddlebarger chp. 14] Some dispensationalists believe Israel will be saved under a different theology and Ladd believed this to be false. He believed, from what I've read, that a remnant from ethnic Israel will be converted to Christianity without any distinction in theology, they will believe in Christ and come under the New Covenant which is in effect now, through the blood of Christ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back