A cautionary tale of Car mechanics and laptops

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eoghan

Puritan Board Senior
Our car has been acting up with a loss of power after about 20 minutes driving. A car icon with a spanner appeared which we were told was a service indicator. It turns out it is an engine management sign indicating you need a garage mechanic to interpret the electricals. The on-board computer says that there is a "knock sensor" which needs replacing.

I went online and it appears that these computers are very difficult to interpret. The problem is that an inexperienced garage takes them literally. A more experienced garage "interprets". I looked online and found that low oil can be a prob. and surprise surprise when I checked the oil was 2 litres below the upper limit.

When I phoned the dealership they advised that it is very seldom the knock sensor and was much more likely to be the oil. (which confirmed my own suspicion). What they did add however is that I needed to clear the memory from the computer to prevent the same symptoms recurring.

I called round at a local garage who plugged their laptop in and cleared the fault record. We have just driven 350 miles and the problem seems resolved.

Had I booked into a garage who went with the computer readout I would be £150 down with a recurring problem. The moral of this story is that procrastination can be a virtue!

I am now thinking of getting a dongle to allow me to talk to the car by plugging into what looks like a scart socket in a recessed panel just behind the handbrake.

The dongle will also help clearing the light. You also could have just unplugged the battery.

Unplug the battery and you might have to reset the security code. A friend did this on a previous car and we lost the use of the radio until it's demise. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back