A Christian Directory

Status
Not open for further replies.

jogri17

Puritan Board Junior
I bought my copy from Ref. Heritage books but you can get it cheaper at Ligonier Ministreis. When I am done I think this will rank as the biggest book I would have ever read when I'm done (Bible is smaller I think in size; and I think edward's works as 2 volumes and edwards is smaller). I am just around p. 200 but I would agree with J.I. Packer and many others in saying that this is the greatest book on practical divinity ever written in the English Language.

Richard:

The edition sold by Ligonier is the exact same edition sold by others. It is the complete Volume 1 of Baxter's Practical Works.

It is my hope that the other 3 volumes will be reprinted also.

J. P.:

:ditto::ditto::ditto:

It is the same as the others and not abbridged. The only difference is the updated dust jacket and colour of the cloth cover I think.

I just received an email from Jay Collier at SDG regarding the possibility of reprinting volumes 2-4 and it appears that there are no specific plans at present to do so.
:(

That is disappointing but understandable with all the potential works that could be reprinted

The Christian Directory is a volume that every Christian especially Reformed Believers should have a copy of. It helped me tremendously in my early Christian walk and it still does. It is full of such sound practical theology that could only come from a Puritan Enoch who walked with God. I bought the 1st reprinting by SDG and I consider this one of the best and most useful books I ever read.
BUY YOUR COPY WHILE IT IS STILL IN PRINT. BORROW MONEY IF YOU HAVE TO.:2cents:

I attempted to get a copy for my birthday, but I don't think I got all that I wanted. The copy that I have looks like this:
9780548152263.jpg

I can't remember if that is the exact copy I have (I am currently far from home and can't check at the moment), but mine looks something like that.

Am I missing out? Is it possible that I have the whole thing if my copy looks something like that?

I bought my copy from Ref. Heritage books but you can get it cheaper at Ligonier Ministreis. When I am done I think this will rank as the biggest book I would have ever read when I'm done (Bible is smaller I think in size; and I think edward's works as 2 volumes and edwards is smaller). I am just around p. 200 but I would agree with J.I. Packer and many others in saying that this is the greatest book on practical divinity ever written in the English Language.

How about this book's typeset and spelling? is it a lithographic version? Thanks.

I found all for 4 volumes of his practical works about 2 months ago. I have a few books to finish first before tackling it. I am looking forward to it.

By the way, I found the whole set at half price books in mint condition for $120.00 :)

I attempted to get a copy for my birthday, but I don't think I got all that I wanted. The copy that I have looks like this:
9780548152263.jpg

I can't remember if that is the exact copy I have (I am currently far from home and can't check at the moment), but mine looks something like that.

Am I missing out? Is it possible that I have the whole thing if my copy looks something like that?

That looks like a section of part III as it says on the cover.

9780548152263.jpg

Ben:

What you have is one of the 23 volume set edited by William Orme. I believe that the Christian Directory encompasses volumes 1- 5 of that set. Soli Deo Gloria published the set in 4 huge volumes about 10 years ago and most recently have republished volume 1 of the 4 volume set. The most economical manner of getting the new reprint of the Christian Directory is through Ligonier (for $28.80):

https://store.ligonier.org/product.asp?idDept=B&idCategory=PU&idProduct=CHR04BH

Ben:

What you have is one of the 23 volume set edited by William Orme. I believe that the Christian Directory encompasses volumes 1- 5 of that set. Soli Deo Gloria published the set in 4 huge volumes about 10 years ago and most recently have republished volume 1 of the 4 volume set. The most economical manner of getting the new reprint of the Christian Directory is through Ligonier (for $28.80):

https://store.ligonier.org/product.asp?idDept=B&idCategory=PU&idProduct=CHR04BH

Well, I certainly don't want to get 22 more of those. :lol:

Is the one from Ligonier just the first volume of four?

Ben:

Yes, the book from Ligonier that is published by SDG is the first of 4 volumes. The other 3 are difficult to find. However, volume 1 is the entire Christian Directory which is very valuable for counseling or for practical discourses about many issues in life, family, worship, etc.

Ben:

Yes, the book from Ligonier that is published by SDG is the first of 4 volumes. The other 3 are difficult to find. However, volume 1 is the entire Christian Directory which is very valuable for counseling or for practical discourses about many issues in life, family, worship, etc.

I have found Baxter's Directory to be heavy on his opinion and lean of Scriptural support. Any one else see this?

Ben:

I have found Baxter's Directory to be heavy on his opinion and lean of Scriptural support. Any one else see this?

disagree. He gives scriptue proofs always for his arguments however he will a lot of the time repeat something said elsewhere and then won't repeat the same references. The puritans didn't write like we do today. And except for his neonomianian statements I saw nothing unbiblical in what he said. then again I am only on page 200

Ben:

Wait, so volume 1 is itself A Christian Directory? Or are all four volumes in conjunction A Christian Directory?

If vol. 1 is A Christian Directory, then what are the names of the other volumes?

Sorry if I'm being bothersome.

Volume 1 : A Christian Directory
Volume 2: A Call to the Unconverted
Volume 3: The Saints Everlasting Rest
Volume 4: The Reformed Pastor

I may never get through them all :p

I'm curious .... can a man be called Reformed who not only rejects limited atonement, but actively seeks to overthrow the doctrine?

I'm curious .... can a man be called Reformed who not only rejects limited atonement, but actively seeks to overthrow the doctrine?

I think a more proper question might be, Can a man write good practical theology although he seeks to overthrow limited atonement? I would answer yes; it is certainly the case that a limited atonement-denier can write good practical theology.

He might be comparable to Douglas Wilson. Although I have read nothing of Wilson's directly (except for excerpts in a book that critiques his FV views), I have heard that he writes some good practical theology despite his severe deficiencies in systematics.

I think a more proper question might be, Can a man write good practical theology although he seeks to overthrow limited atonement? I would answer yes; it is certainly the case that a limited atonement-denier can write good practical theology.

My curiosity was not whether such a person could write good practical theology, but rather a side question - can such a person be called Reformed?

Baxter was amyraldian, but like all good amyraldians I believe his view on the atonement was HYPOTHETICAL or LOGICAL universal atonement, not practical or effectual.

My curiosity was not whether such a person could write good practical theology, but rather a side question - can such a person be called Reformed?

Sorry, I completely misinterpreted the intent of your question.

Perhaps a good side question, maybe for another thread is, was Calvin Amyraldian?

No one seems to be able to say for sure. sorry :offtopic:

Baxter was amyraldian, but like all good amyraldians I believe his view on the atonement was HYPOTHETICAL or LOGICAL universal atonement, not practical or effectual.

Does that "hypothetical" proviso then make him Reformed?

The reason I ask this is not because I'm seeking to argue, but how to categorize Baxter. On my portable HD I have a directory entitled "Reformed" and one entitled "Almost Reformed" and I'm struggling with which directory to place the PDFs of Baxter's works.

According to the synod in Alencon at least he passes for orthodoxy where the remonstrants did not at Dort.

Brian Armstrong comments:

"It is to be noted . . . that each mention of the universality of the design of Christ's atonement is qualified by a 'provided that.' Amyraut is very much concerned that it be understood that the will of God which desires universal salvation is made on the condition that the stipulation be fulfilled, and that if that stipulation is not fulfilled He does not will it. This is perhaps the most adequate definition of 'hypothetical universalism' which can be given. Fulfilling God's will for universal salvation, Christ procured it for all. Here is Amyraut's universalism. It is hypothetical, for salvation is only effectual when and if such and such a condition is fulfilled" (Calvinism and the Amyraut Heresy[Univ. of Wisconsin Press, 1969], 212).

Roger Nicole elaborates:

"Amyraut held that God, moved by compassion for the plight of fallen mankind, designed to save all men and sent His Son Jesus Christ as a substitutionary offering for the sins of all men and of every man --- this is Amyraut's universalism. This sacrifice is not effectual unto salvation, however, unless God's offer of grace is accepted by man in repentance and faith, which acceptance is the fruit of God's special grace, conferred on those only whom He has chosen --- this is the hypothetical aspect of Amyraut's view" ('Moyse Amyraut [1596-1664] and the Controversy on Universal Grace, First Phase [1634-1637]," Ph.D. thesis, Harvard University, 1966, 3-4).

from Enjoying God Ministries

Sorry I cannot more directly answer your query

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back